What do you think silver is worth ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by renovator, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Inflation adjusted would be approx $150 to $160. IMHO I will continue to buy while under a 1/3 price - meaning $50.

The average income per day historically is just under 1oz - average worker earns about $150 to $160 per day? figures are about right

Think Au today should be around $2500

2. hennypenny

hennypenny New Member

3. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

4. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

i dont know where the price will go because i would think the PTB would rather wipe the fiat debts off than lose control of the gold and silver

5. povman

povman New Member

IMO Silver is only worth what people are willing to pay today!
    If silver shot to $90 an ounce tomorrow, how many of us stackers would be willing to buy at that price???
    People around the world would pay that price thinking they have missed the boat or want to jump on a rising investment but, we (silver stackers) know it's volatile at the moment and it will probably be back at $50 an ounce the following day and start to purchase again!
    Only my opinion, please don't crucify me!!! haha

6. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Silver is worth whatever people are willing to trade for it.

It is based on the individuals trading.

e.g. If some guy doesn't want an ounce of silver for their honey pot, then silvers value is less than a honey pot to that person. I may very well trade honey pots for silver, if I believe honey to be more valuable.

7. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

A 1 Ounce Silver Kook is worth $1 if you cash it in at a bank.

8. Nickoru

Nickoru Member

Between 50-60 I guess. Shouldn't guys at CME force it down we would be there by now. That's what price history shows: growth in price is steady and slow. Drops are sharp and occasional = unnatural.

9. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yep & aint that a joke !!! Why even bother making it legal tender..For confiscation purposes maybe.

10. SparkySilver

SparkySilver New Member

My bank will offer you $2 cash. :D

11. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Just wondering as we all have varying $$ value of what we thought silver is worth.

What would be the outcome if we were to advertise a few oz each at the $$value we see in silver on ebay/trademe (in kiwi)

Not sure about oz but I know here if a dozen stackers put a few coins up for sale on trade me it cost's nothing to list. And we would represent 75% of the dealers on trade me. That much of the market advertised at a massive premium over spot.

I think it would be interesting to see how a market reacts when a commodity that is completely undervalued (such as money fobbed off as "tradition") is advertised en mass at a realistic value.

12. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

I think they may have printed a little more currency between May 2010 and now as well.

13. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

I think adjusting for inflation is the way to find fair value/worth. However the 1980 spike is not a wise comparison. Remember the silver market is TINY compared to other commodities and even the market cap of one of the large world companies dwarfs the silver market.

Now in saying that if we could find a price back in history when silver was at a genuine market value (under a classical gold standard/silver standard) and adjust it for inflation in USD until now you would get close. Of course you would also have to factor in the above ground silver at that time and the above ground silver now and reduce the inflation adjusted price to suit. This is very important because even under a "classical" silver monetary standard currency inflation would happen however e price of silver would change very little.

14. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

I think it is also important to not only adjust for inflation but to adjust for the growth in the population of potential investors (growth in latent demand). This has definitely gone through the roof with the globalisation of the economy and the commodities trade, the growth of the global population and the fact that every single country seems to have a real and present problem with managing their debt that is starting to see their central banks become bullion buyers again, in a way that they were not in 1980. However, making such allowances with accuracy is very difficult so using the 1980's peak is completely reasonable, IMHO.

Does anyone have an update on the 2010 shadowstats inflation adjust high for 2011?? I sure would like to know what that would be.