Questions for our American/European friends

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Goldmember, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

Hi fellow Stackers....

Been thinking about how things are in the US and Europe at the moment,and was wondering how our fellow Stackers in the US and other countries are faring.Curious what is really happening over there.Down here in Australia we hear a lot on the news and internet but id like to hear what life/the economy is like for you guys at the present time....just a few questions....

Are there lots of people losing their jobs that you know?
    Prices of food/energy say in the last 12 months or so?
    How many of your friends/acquaintances are aware of PMs...is it well known?
    Are the average Joes preparing for SHTF?
    Fear index/your opinion?
    How saturated is the media with Gold/Silver advertising/news?

I could ask a lot of questions but ill leave it there,just curious as to how youre all holding up......

Regards

GM

2. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Things are bad, there is no doubt about it. People are generally worried and our news outlets don't help. I was having a conversation yesterday about how the media is basically fear-mongering and sensationalizing as opposed to being ethical, neutral sources of information. But that is a whole other point.

No. Some, but for the most part I only know of a few people down-sized due to company troubles. Unemployment is high, no doubt, but there are certain industries that have been hurt the most that account for large percentages of the unemployed.

Food and energy is always rising it seems. Where I live, we have a lot of local taxes on energy that really drive up the price. We've also had a lot of weather issues that have caused prices of crops to rise.

Not many. Some of my friends know I am into PMs, but not many share the interest. My grandfather was always really into PMs and everyone thought he was silly. There are more and more cash for gold stores popping up. People seem more willing to sell their old jewelry for 50% of what it's worth than to hold onto it or actually consider it an investment. The people that I do know that had/have coins (non-stackers) are looking to unload them now that prices are up.

Not really. I think there was more craze and preparation for Y2K.

Fear index/your opinion?

Fear is rising, primarily due to the lack of leadership we have. There's too much uncertainty. Even people who have jobs and are doing just as well as they ever have are worried about what could happen and are therefore being much more cautious with spending, etc.

Not very. Lots of cash for gold shops popping up like I said about, but the overall mass appeal of PMs doesn't seem to be growing too quickly. I'd say more average people are more interested in getting some fiat than converting their fiat into PMs. I have noticed Goldline advertising on tv/web much more, but that could be because some political commentators that favor a return to some form of gold standard are supporting them.

Overall I think the general populous is out of touch. They don't know who or what to believe and without clear leadership from our politicians and credible commentators, I don't think that will change anytime soon. This whole recession has been humbling to many.

3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

My state of Arkansas is doing better than the country because of the money from drilling shale gas wells. Still some people are losing jobs and it is much harder for anyone to find another job. Most of my clients are small businesses and many are really struggling. Some of those businesses may not make it through the business climate I foresee for the the next few years. If a business closes, then the employer and the employees will be out of work. Food prices are up everywhere and we are no exception. Everyone who knows me knows that I am into pms and I have convinced a few to join me. But most people think pm prices are too high or are too risky. Most people are not preparing at all for SHTF. Fear index is increasing as people awaken from the media imposed stupor. I watch individual shows through my computer and don't own a television, so I have no clue on media coverage of pms.

4. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

A few, yeah.

Both up, tho food waaaaay higher. I see prices going up on a weekly basis!!!!111!!oneoneone

Most of them are still unbelievers, tho the old generation 50+ are well aware, and one of my friends he's around 55 now stated back in 2007 that owning precious metals would be only way out of this mess. (RE bubble didn't burst yet)

they are not.

Sheeple know that something is wrong, tho dunno what. So in scale of 1 - 10 i give it 6.

A lot, believe me. Recently only gold, but now platinum as well. Its just a matter of time when theyll start advertising silver.

5. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Hi Goldmember,

Here are some answers from the UK.
    Please feel free to ask more.

(i) Are there lots of people losing their jobs that you know?
    Very few fortunately but my son cannot find work and is willing to do anything but there are no jobs in this area.

1. Prices of food/energy say in the last 12 months or so?
    Food is rising about 5% on average at the mopment.
    Petrol is at its highest ever and energy is rising by up to 20%

2. I am alone in my interest in PMs and anyone with spare cash I know is leaning towards property.
    I check eBay daily and there is a lot of activity now and pretty much all silver and gold is sold well above spot whereas a year ago it was easier to grab a bargain but not any longer so I guess more people are buyers today.

3. Are the average Joes preparing for SHTF?
    No - all the people I know are leading normal lives and don't appear concerned.

4. Fear index/your opinion?
    Personally I am concerned about sovereign debts and how we are meant to pay back the huge borrowings.
    Right now interest rates are low but if they rise we are all truly in the smelly stuff.
    Frustrated that politicians don't work together to solve our problems prefering often to catch votes - especially true in the USA.

5. How saturated is the media with Gold/Silver advertising/news?
    Full and on every shop corner - we buy your gold !
    Most are rip off merchants.

6. port2

port2 New Member

"Are there lots of people losing their jobs that you know?"

I would say the private sector has been hit harder than the public sector. State&local govts. are trying to get unions to give up benefits and freeze pay wages.
    A large union here has just accepted a 5 yr contract with no pay increase for the first 3 yrs in lieu of layoffs but with no guarantee that there won't be layoffs. Some are retiring now out of fear of losing pension benefits if they wait. Here stories of people submitting dozens of job applications with no job offers to show for it. There is some hiring but more competition for the job.

"How many of your friends/acquaintances are aware of PMs...is it well known?"

A few ,what they know of PMs they learned from me. No, it is not well known or just hasn't sunk in..yet.

"Are the average Joes preparing for SHTF?"

No!

"Fear index/your opinion?"

Moderately high and increasing.

"How saturated is the media with Gold/Silver advertising/news?"

Very saturated on T.V. and newspapers but they you want you to be SELLERS not buyers. The opposite of China. (I'm in the N/E U.S.) I have seen the local barber shop advertise "WE BUY GOLD"

7. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

Thanks heaps fellow OS Stackers,really appreciate your input!

Some informative insights into what is happeneing in your various countries.Seems to be quite a bit of spruiking going on and tough times in some places with unemployment.Can only get worse i imagine.

Here in Australia we have a fair bit of coverage about Gold ATM bcoz of the highs,"Gold Buyers" stalls in just about every shopping centre, but they have been doing it for about a year or two now.They pay peanuts to the Monkeys.The unemployment isnt as bad here as it was in GFC times,but its getting worse...

Wonder how our Asian friends are doing? Any other Stackers from other parts of the world,we'd all love your input...its interesting stuff!

Thx again :0)

PS @Photonware - do you think the riots had anything to do with "economic unrest"? Whats the feeling there in England,is there an uprising of sorts?

8. Nickoru

Nickoru Member

Hi there from Moscow, Russia!

Not really. It seems to be somewhat opposite. Fresh inflow of money from exported oil increases business.

For the last 6 months it's quite stable.

Not many. Unless I tell them about. And they're grateful after.

No, not at all.

Fear index/your opinion?
    Somewhere in the middle.

Rarely. But last 2 weeks were enough for people to wipe out all cheap silver and gold coins from suppliers.

9. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

The countries that were doing it tough before the all of this economic collapse that is going on are not feeling it as much. I come from a south east european country from a city where in early 90's there was nearly noone unemployed. We had a war all jobs got lost and since then things have not improved. I go back every few years and common ppl complain but yet they have enough for luxuries holidays etc its weird. One thing thy havent got is debt. Noone has a homeloan. Noone takes out loans to buy a house. If you want a to build house you buy the concrete lets say this month , 3 months later you buy the bricks etc while renting. There isnt much social spending so ppl dont expect much from the government. You pretty much need to work to have nough food, electricity phone bill. Not every house has a car as they dont need 1 everything is walking distance.
    So when GFC 2 hits the people in these countries wont be as f***** since they are used to surviving on low incomes. Back in oz when that happens we wont know what hit us, its slowly happening you can see on news Quantas shedding so many jobs, ABC etc, and this is nothing yet

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Just thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth from the point of view of someone living in Scotland and then that's most of the British Isles covered.

Yes, local govt/council have had to make large cutbacks on staff. The education sector has also been badly affected by govt cuts and there are very few permanent, full time postions available for teachers of both primary and secondary.

Public sector workers have had pensions cut and there was a bit of a hoo-harr about that at the beginning of the summer with a general strike nationwide. More strikes are predicted for the winter months...some talk about there being another 'winter of discontent' as there was back in the 1970s.

Conversely, there still seems to be work in factories/manufacturing/food production but many Brits still turn their noses up at these positions because of the 'image' this type of work carries with it. The migrants from Eastern Europe have no such qualms about image and a high proportion of such jobs are taken by them.

I understand that China is currently Scotland's biggest customer for importing luxury goods like whisky, smoked salmon, woven garments and farmed furs (mink). So these industries are doing relatively well.

The price of the average weekly shopping bill has doubled in the last decade and food prices continue to rise month on month.

Energy prices of all the biggest suppliers (Scottish Gas, Hydroelectric etc) are set to rise by more than 20% at the start of September (I just received the joyous news in the post the other day :( ), so winter looks kind of bleak with the average dual-fuel household bill predicted to rise to over 150 a month.

Petrol prices continue to climb steadily. About 5 or 6 years ago it cost me ~30 to fill my Fiat Panda with petrol. Now it's almost 50.

Average rates of pay/wage remain frozen.

I haven't spoken to many people, for obvious reasons, but I recently spoke with my ex about stacking silver and he basically thinks I'm nuts and a scaremonger.

I also spoke to my cousin, who is quite well off financially, but the concept of investing in PMs was one she had never considered and I think she was mostly listening politely and humouring me when I put forward my reasons for buying silver bullion.

I would say that the concept of safeguarding your wealth in the form of PMs is unknown to the majority.

Not really. There's more emphasis on growing your own veg and buying from local suppliers but I don't think many people are stocking up on non-perishables as I have also been trying to do. I think folk are still mostly more concerned about having the latest iPhone or flat screen telly than whether they will manage if food prices soar.

Fear index/your opinion?

Discontent is running high and confidence in govt at all time low but apart from grumbling it doesn't seem like folk are really bothering their backsides to try and change the situation.

There have been a few occasions recently when I have noticed that they mention the price of gold reaching all time highs on our local radio station and the situation with the US and European economy but I think most folk still feel it has little to do with them and don't bat an eye at the news.

11. goldmansachs

goldmansachs New Member

hmm no asia inputs here.. might as well give u guys some idea whats going on here
    im from SINGAPORE!

well......

singapore situated in asia, our employment rate looks fairly stable.. seems like everyone has jobs

well singapore currency sort of 2nd place as safe haven currency behind japan. so our inflation not so bad
    or i could say inflation is pretty dam low

advised most of my frens to buy, im in college, my frens all in college also. they dont give a damn.

well everything seems fine here. i would dare say almost close to none of my country people even know a thing bout shtf
    As even our ex-prime minister call us singaporeans daft. stupid. we have big governments here
    we live under the dictatorship of the Lee family that sort of founded singapore which we gained independence.
    we all lived under the brainwashed society of the government and the govt owns the national media.
    like america, our water contains flouride.. dumbing down society, easier to control.

Fear index/your opinion?
    what fear? haha. everyone has jobs. everything is expensive, just work till you die.
    in our singapore most popular stocks forum, rarely anyone mention gold/silver. all just obsessed with stocks.

How saturated is the media with Gold/Silver advertising/news
    no ads on recommending people to buy pms. though china does.. i think china is among the few countries that tells its own people to buy pms
    lots of shops popping out buying gold from the people. bet they are earning big time....

12. Photonaware

Feeling is the riots were started by yobs with nothing to do but batter old ladies and set fire to commercial premises.
    These anarchists used their iPhones and Facebook to create fever pitched riots in shopping centres, smashing windows and looting whilst the police stood by and watched.
    Initially the police had their hands tied from up above and were prevented from having a go at the looters.
    If they had acted differently the namby-pamby state would have critised them for being too tough.
    Now they get criticized for standing by while high street shops and factories were set alight and even the fire services couldn't attend.
    At its peak, parts of London were like the Blitz in WW II.

Now the media seems to focus on sentences dished out to the anarchists and yobs.
    The government wants to set an example and welcomes tough sentences but there are too many liberals and wankers that are now critising the sentences as too harsh.

Today the police released footage showing yobs firing guns at them and at a police helicopter.

If we don't deal with this properly now then we are in for a SHTF time next year with the Olympics in London.

Bring back the BIRCH and get these louts off the streets and into boot camp.
    Three guys that tried to protect their property were killed in the process in Birmingham.

Welcome to the UK and hope that doesn't put you off as we need the tourist dollars !!

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with the above.

No 'revolution' is on the cards here, imo, it was just bored kids egged on by a few trouble makers. It spread to other cities because it all looked so dramatic on telly and I'm sure a lot of kids just wanted a piece of the action. The acquistion of looted goods was secondary to joining in with the mob.

14. 97guns

97guns New Member

crime is definately on the rise, here in the states we are experiencing flash mobs, they are co-ordinating on twitter and hitting stores by the multitudes. there is no way to stop them unless they unplug their line of communication. i see it only getting worse.

there are more reports of home invasions and people having gold chains ripped right from their necks.

there are large metro cities here that have full neighborhoods boarded and or burnt down. where did all these people go?

15. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

Nice "kids" You have there.

16. Photonaware

Several years ago I visited Cape Town in South Africa.
    On a city tour the guide warned us about venturing into the city centre after it closed.
    Not sure if this was a Saturday or Sunday but everything closed around lunchtime.
    The risk was gangs of ferral kids hunting in large packs like wolves.
    Imagine being mugged by scores of wild kids some of them 14 years old ?

In the UK the same sort of thing happened, large groups of kids and teenagers mainly, throwing stones at the police as a weekend sport.
    Then some windows get smashed and shops looted.
    Free for all in Nike trainers, sports clothing, mobile phones, flat screen TVs and electronic goods - all possibly now on fee-Bay.
    The worst was setting fire to everything, shops, buses, cars, residential homes - anything and everything that would burn.
    A girl was caught on CCTV outside a looted store trying on her new trainers for size !
    Opportunists thinking they would get away with it.
    Of course once this sort of activity is shown on prime time TV it is guaranteed to be copied in other city centres.
    We need a period of zero tolerance as they had in New York city.
    A generation has grown up without proper discipline, in the home and at school and for too long crime has not been punished.
    Too many civil liberties and human rights people getting their own way without a thought for long term consequences of ordinary people.
    This is a wake up call.

17. 97guns

97guns New Member

i'll be policing my own house and property, come near it with any threat and you die.

18. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Wish i could say that!

19. Photonaware

You are lucky in the USA that you can arm yourself and shoot intruders.
    Here you cannot own a gun ( maybe a shotgun if you are a farmer or sportsman ) and if you use a baseball bat to hit an intruder you could be sued by the intruder for injuries.
    Also if your dog bites the burglar the dog can be destroyed.
    I would definitely have a go with my baseball bat - full force - taking no prisoners !
    At least in jail you get hot food, latest computer games and can earn new qualifications - all free and no bills to pay.

20. MousePad

MousePad New Member

well in the USA, the gun laws are different in each state. and what not..

but here is one thing that REALLY grinds my gears that happened the past few days.

well this President Obama.. how he used to be "yea lets fix our borders and get rid of illegals and bring more work to the Americans"..

well...before he left for his nice 10 day vacation he signed this...he surpassed congress and did it himself.. when everyone else was against it..but he did it anyway

http://standwitharizona.com/blog/20...or-300000-illegal-aliens-offers-work-permits/

so... since the unemployment rate is SOO high.. intead of fixing it.. it will get even HIGHER because why higher USA citizens for minimum wage when now you can legally higher ILLEGAL ALIENS for dirt cheap.

but...with this... our economy is crap...I dont know anyone other then myself who collect PMs....gas in my area is about $3.79 a gallon..