Perth Mint tours

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Nukz, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Nukz

Nukz New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm flying over to Perth later this year and have a day spare was looking at doing the tour of the mint. It sounds abit like Sovereign Hill down here in Melbourne but without the old-world atmosphere.

Anybody been on the tour and how was it?

2. puddleduck

puddleduck Member Silver Stacker

I went a few months ago. Definitely worth a go if you're into that sort of thing. The missus and I had never been to a mint or seen a gold bar being poured, so it was worth the money and time.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Worth it for checking out the gold bar collection and the gold pour. Think it's $15. Did it a few weeks ago.

4. DonaldTrump

DonaldTrump New Member

Did it a few weeks ago, too. :)

Get there for the first tour of the morning, otherwise it gets crowded. My highlight was lifting the gold bar. I like how all the signs were made when gold was so much cheaper. Recalculate everything in your head (or on your phone) to see the real values.

5. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

It's pretty cool, doesn't take alot of time either... loved all the gold bars on display from other countries, gold pour and yes.. the 400oz bar you can hold :)

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Just make sure your four year old is well behaved (uber quiet that is) when the guy is talking about prospecting in the old days. Mine wasn't even speaking only playing quietly with a chain and he unnecessarily (in my view) told her off in front of everyone.
    As a result I didn't end up seeing the gold pour (seen it in Kalgoorlie anyway) but the gold bar collection is worth it.

7. Silvester

Silvester Member

Here's a free mini tour.... :)

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1258_perth_mint_1a.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1258_perth_mint_3a.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1258_perth_mint_2a_copy.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

8. zlatibor

zlatibor Member

Does anyone know if we can take a camera on the tour? Am doing it today.

9. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not Allowed ;)

10. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do they give out free samples?

11. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rub the gold bar really hard.......You might just walk out with free residue :p

12. Maxwell

Maxwell New Member

I've taken a few interstate friends on the tour, $15 per person

I could spend hours just looking at the gold bar collection let alone the pour and all the rest

13. zlatibor

zlatibor Member

I've just come back... cameras, of course, prohibited. There are renovations being carried out at the moment which saw adult tickets reduced to $10.

If I can be honest, I found the guide a bit robotic and impersonal - like he was reciting his lines in his sleep. He insisted an elderly gentleman wait until he'd finished speaking before he would address the gentleman's question... and then promptly forgot about it and coraled us all through the doors like cattle.

I must say the gallery is the most interesting part, and I too could have spent many minutes poring over all the vintage and bars and nuggets in the vitrines. But time was pressing and we were ushered in to watch the pour. It was fascinating, but then over all too soon, and we were dismissed.

For an internationally renowned establishment, I think they might put their best foot forward perhaps by being a bit more personable.

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

That's a shame - I've done the tour and found the guide on the day to be excellent.

Hidden in the gold bar collection room with almost no fanfare is the *very* first 1899P sovereign ever struck at the mint - as in the very first coin out of the dies on day 1 of minting in 1899. Only saw it because it was pointed out to me by someone more eagle, er, kookaburra eyed.

15. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I took along my wife who has no interest in PMs so it was pretty rushed, plus we were on the way to the airport.

The tour was ok, nothing too exciting and this kid was noisily jangling chains the whole time which ruined it for everyone.

The gold pour was interesting and though I have also seen it in Kalgoorlie it never gets boring.

The international bars were very nice, great diversity in their collection.

Picking up the big bar was impressive, makes you wonder how all those gold heists in the movies could have taken place.

Highlight of the tour was the mint your own bit of metal machine.

Gift shop wasn't up to much, I don't think we bought anything.

We won't be rushing back at any time, at Kalgoorlie you got to pan for gold, which made it pretty interesting but at Perth there really wasn't much to do other than look at stuff.

16. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]