silver price manipulation and high margins- faith in Silver waning?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by beamseeker, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Perhaps, asian markets diving into PM's showing interest in both Gold and Silver in recognition of silvers properties as money.

Gold steeper climb as western investors with money invested in Asian markets flock to gold for protection as they have been taught to believe in silvers commodity properties that will cause it to fall in this week's action.

Just my 2 cents worth (the copper ones with intrinsic value, not the electronic ones the round away to nothing)

2. beamseeker

beamseeker New Member

By the looks of the global mkts, is the silver price manipulation maybe getting beyond their control...is it just a matter of time before mkt forces call the shots on the true price...?

3. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"Never let a good crisis go to waste"

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Jeepers, gold rises from $1,400 to $1,700 or 21% in 7 months and there's questions over silver as an investment?

Puh-lease!

If anything, with the GSR now a bit over 43, you might say silver should be the play?

In any event, as any good financial planner will tell you, you dont chop and change investments and continually chase yesterday's winners - the result is you buy too near a top rather than the trough!

5. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

'BEGONE YOU FOUL FIAT DEAMONS FROM THIS HOLY FORUM!' <splashes colloidal silver on US dollar bill> 'BEGONE FROM THE MINDS OF WEAK CREDITCARD CARRING CREATURES' <tears up US dollar bill> 'BEGONE BACK TO THE PLACE WHERE BITCOINS ARE CREATED' <drinks colloidal silver >

Right that should hold them back for awhile...

Hmmmm waning on Silver price? not at all...as mentioned the 1:40 ratio keeps gains in Ag very strong - can afford a slower gain to Au....but either will continue to lead or be dragged along by Gold.

Now the next time you feel your body is being invaded by Fiat and waning your mind,repeat the above and have the collidial silver handy :)

6. beamseeker

beamseeker New Member

When am seeing no hike in silvers price whilst gold flys, am not knee jerk reacting and throwing the towel in by any means, am still long...with the globe looking as bad as it is...what will it take for the shackles on silver to be unlocked...?This is worthy of discussion,

Price manipulation; increasing margins; and most currently/importantly the stigma that in 2011 gold is THE safe haven currency, and silver is still a volatile industrial commodity...and not the historical safe haven currency cousin of gold that thru our fundamentals research and faith we all know here is a fact.

Ill drink my silver juice...but it still wont suppress the fact that silver hasnt moved at all since the AA+ downgrade...and is not being dragged/mirrored along by gold as was the trend prior to AA+ ...{now thats not the case Golds at a historical 1800+, Silvers sat still}.

7. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Agree beamseeker - what will it take for silver to move! We are in another crisis phase and silver has barely moved while gold keeps breaking records.
    So if it is a tug of war between monetary use or commodity use I still think because it is both it should be moving up now! I am quite convinced silver is undervalued but it seems it will take a lot for the market to realise this. I cannot see how this price is being held back this long because of manipulation.
    I think it is more to do with that silver crash in May when many investors got burnt and are too scared to back silver now and feel gold is safer.
    Hopefully the Asians , who don't seem to suffer the same doubts about silver, will play a bigger role in silver trading in the future.

8. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Personally I am the most dissapointed I have ever been with Silver. I can take the ups and downs without issue, have done for years, but to have it not move this week really makes me question if I should still beleive in the stuff.

First time in years I have looked at my stack and thought to sell it.

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The silver price has doubled since March last year, why would you be disappointed in it's performance?

10. Preciousmetal

Preciousmetal New Member

Come on guys!

Silver has definitely outperformed gold in this bull cycle, and will soon return to that. Plus there is a rather serious deflation going on, and last time that happened, silver dropped by half! So you should be very happy and optimistic that it is holding its ground and creating a great base to blast off from.
    Of course, QE3, which is surely coming soon. The markets will go on their sugar high, commodities will go up, and silver will go nuts.

At that time, silver will benefit from both its industrial and monetary qualities, so it will be a double whammy, as it was after Bernanke's Jackson Hole speech last year. At that time (September of 2010), silver was only $19. As soon as he made his announcement, silver made its historic mount.

Patience, patience...

11. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Overall I'm not, I could sell now and make roughly 4 times what I payed for my stack. Silver doing nothing this week however has me thinking $40 is where it's staying, I can't think of a situation that will make Silver move past $50 and if you can well... I admire how optimistic you are.

I don't know, I might just be so discourgaed i'm rambling words I won't believe next month but i'm finding it really hard to watch silver go sideways while gold explodes. I have always thought that come the demise of the US people would finally remember that Silver is money too but this has not happened yet and it really should have started this week.

12. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

pm's explode in times of chaos

13. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

if silver is up a dollar in 40 dollars an ounce and gold is up 40 dollars in 1600 an ounce
    is there really any difference

personally i would take that dollar rise for shelling out 40 dollars over shelling out 1600 for a 40 dollar rise

think about it

14. Preciousmetal

Preciousmetal New Member

I told you. QE3.

15. beamseeker

beamseeker New Member

Making sense Goldpanner... the current silver stand still does seem more based on the shaky perception created by the big pull back in May. Where prior silver breaking the 1980 record high and retaining its momentum was becoming a complacent no brainer. I think the pull back could of been a manipulation issue maybe.
    On a positive note its obvious by Golds move theres plenty of fear out there. Lets hope the market can shun the hoodoos, and all its positive fundamentals can start to shine. When/if it starts to happen, hopefully a tsunami roll will take off when this weeks smart gold winners cash in some chips to buy the cheaper safety hedge...fingers crossed eh?

16. beamseeker

beamseeker New Member

Cant hurt to throw the cat amongst the pigeons can it eh?

Admire the confidence and emotional control yall...Napkin and cutlery ready for a double helping of humble pie with sprinkles.

17. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

I am amazed that people feel this is negative for silver!

Remember silver in 2008? It crashed to below 50% of its value when similar economic conditions were around. It has since jumped to 4 times that value.

NOW silver has maintained its value! And when the economy gets another injection, who is to say silver won't jump 4 times again!

Even if silver drops to $30 I will not be worried!

I feel contrarian but I have more faith in silver now than I ever have!

18. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Folks, I know I'm new to this game, and there's a lot I have yet to learn. So, with that in mind, here's my troy ounce worth.

I think, the first thing to remember about the Silver v Gold debate is that whilst they are both used industrially, Gold is less used, and thus seen by many as a "pure" precious metal - Silver, on the other hand, is seen as the "poor cousin" to Gold in the eyes of many. These people have lost sight of the fundamentals, or are choosing to ignore them; if Gold has a small industrial use, and a large investment use, whereas Silver has more industrial use (and potentially less investment use comparative to Gold), the fundamentals tell you straight away that Silver should, in theory, be the better choice - with Silver you get an "each way" bet - industrial or investment, with Gold, you get investment, but not much chop at the industrial side.

Sure, it's easy in times like now, where we are looking at little to no growth in the economies of the world to say "Ah, but if the economy contracts/goes down the gurgler, the industrial aspect of Silver is a moot point". And yes, you're right, in the short term.

PM's have - to me at least, always been about long term, years, decades even. If there is little demand industrially for Silver in the next 3-4 years, in the long term, that is no issue - the demand will return.

Looking again at the performance of Silver vs Gold, at this stage, yes, we are seeing a flight to Gold on behalf of some people. Gold is still available, can still be purchased, be it on paper or physical.

What do you think is going to happen if the flight to Gold continues, but there is no Gold to be had? You'd have to think people will head toward what, in their eyes, is the "next best" thing - that will be Silver.

Going back to fundamentals for a moment - consider the history.

Silver, like Gold, has been used as a store of value and trade "currency" since Ancient Roman times - Roman soldiers were paid a silver coin for each day's wages.

Consider too that there is less Silver above ground, ready and usable than there is Gold.

Add to that the fact that, according to the USGS, in 2020, we won't be mining any more of it.

Let me repeat that, because this is the fundamental to end all fundamentals...

According to the USGS, we will deplete all in ground Silver that can be mined. Stop and look back at this industrial metal that is consumed in such small quantities individually that makes it unrecoverable. Now look back at the USGS comments.

Even if we run out of Gold at the same time - take it one step deeper into the fundamentals... we need Silver industrially, we don't use much Gold industrially. Assume now they both "run out" at the same time. And now tell me which of the two you'd rather be holding.

19. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

I'd like to make one point here. 2020 if we stay at current production levels and wont raise it.

20. beamseeker

beamseeker New Member

Good to see so much passionate debate...

To say the current silver doomsayers are fishing for support is not valid...I threw this forum subject out there to address the lack of growth in silvers price when the US AA+ downgrade caused only Gold to move towards historical heights. To address the fact the current markets have seemed to interpret Silver more as a risky industrial commodity, than a monetary hedge in economic turbulence, which was my main reason for my investing in Silver.

I know it has the double wammy of fundamentals, and have confidence that when Gold slows down its meteoric rise, Silvers positive currency attributes will filter into the mainstream market.

When that will happen is the obvious question...