Do you really think we should be stocking up on food?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Dusty, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

This is something that is not worth scrimping money on. Luxury does have it's benefits sometimes... even if for a fleeting moment :D

2. DonaldTrump

DonaldTrump New Member

Just beware of some Cash & Carry shops and discounted supermarkets aren't actually cheaper than the main supers. Sometimes they are on certain foods, a lot of the time they're not.

And I hear you Nap, these are Quilton and look ok. NQR has 10 packs of 100% recycled toilet paper rolls for $3 but don't look as comfy...

3. DonaldTrump

DonaldTrump New Member

That's because we're in a Red Bull Market.

*shnuck shnuck shnuck*

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

I saw a BBC documentary on nuclear winter once. The food warehouses and fuel depots had been locked down and had troops guarding them. A mob confronted an officer thru a gate. The officer advised he was empowered to use force to protect the warehouse. Leader of mob called out "they can't stop us. Come on." And started to climb the fence. The officer fell back and ordered the rifleman to"action", then "one round at target, fire". The leader went down, the mob dispersed.

No warning shot, just bang. What makes you think an economic meltdown will be seen any differently? It'll be "preserving peace and good order".

Stock up and avoid the rush!!

5. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Would be keen to know what sort of price you're talking about, Blockhead. I usually buy rice in 5Kg bags in Coles for $12.00ish, that's Basmati rice, from Pakistan. If anyone wants to know the brand, ping me and I'll dig it up.

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

"Stock up and avoid the rush!!"

To my mind, the only sensible attitude. Why leave it to one last panic to get what you cannot do without.

Get it NOW!

OC

7. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

An ability to make clothing and produce useful things is a bonus, after the basics are covered.

Also, buying local rather than through the duopoly encourages a greater resiliency in the supply chain. Plus I'm finding local grocers and markets are cheaper anyway. . . or keep drinking the fluoride and forget about it.

8. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

Now is a good time to stock up on food... When the Shit hit the fan, you really don't wanna be at the nearest supermarket fighting over a can of bake beans over 500 other desperate people.

Stack on bake beans! Its price due to rise this year.

9. missnomer

missnomer New Member

10. vektor

vektor New Member

11. silverc

silverc New Member

I'm with your wife - can never have too much sewing or knitting stuff - my second bathroom is my yarn stash - wool in the shower cubicle and knitting machine on a stand in front of the vanity. Have often thought of ripping out the pc items and making it proper storage.

12. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Just one small afterthought,

If we all here are stocking up on SILVER, we should also be stocking up on FOOD!

JMNHO.

OC

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Organic seeds are the go with all this GMO infection spreading with companies like Monsanto. Organic non hybrid seeds could be more valuable than gold. Also vacuum packed rice in mylar bags is a good idea.

14. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

there's a time limit that you can store heirloom seeds for, it's been covered in a number of threads in the past. Varies for different fruits and vegetables. I think just networking with people is the best way to go. If you are on good terms with a number of people who all have various goods and services to offer you can trade things you have surplus for things you need should the time ever arise.

I think the extreme end of things is a long way off yet, i'm certainly not cheering on collapse. It's a terrible thing to contemplate.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree blockhead it isn't a warm thought. Let's hope it never comes to that.

16. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

taking the biodiversity out of the food chain's gene pool is risky and just asking for problems - developing drought tolerant plants is good in theory but a sudden unexpected climate shift resulting in floods could be disastrous

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh, I was careful about what I bought in terms of value for money. Housewives, like me, tend to be the most likely to know a good deal when it comes to food and household goods. & I agree about not skimping on the quality of toilet paper for the sake of a couple of quid too! :p

I reckon you are talking about 'Threads' which was a 3 part drama based on the events leading up to and the aftermath of a nuclear war looking particularly at one British city called Sheffield.

It was first shown on British TV in the early 80s and I watched it when I was about 14 and it scared me to death and has stayed with me ever since. :/

Another scene from the film that sticks in my head and is relevant to the original topic shows the residents of the city panic buying at the local supermarket as it becomes apparent that war is imminent.

The shop keeper responds to the crisis by more than doubling the prices of his goods. This is kind of ironic because later in the film, after the nuclear exchange, as the survivors struggle with the adverse conditions it is made clear that fiat/paper money is worthless in such a situation and the main form of currency is FOOD.

So another good reason to stack food just now is to avoid price increases by the unscrupulous buggers that would take the opportunity to try and cash in on any impending crisis as well as being something to barter with if the economy was so drastically affected that fiat no longer had any value.

18. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

In reply to the OP....

No
    No
    Agreed and I thank you for it, and no.

19. Atomic79

Atomic79 New Member

I have access to being able to buy in bulk certain (short to med term lasting) Victorian grown/made perishables (e.g., fruit/veg/butter/flour/grains/honey etc)...I don't know how it could work with delivery etc but I've been thinking about putting up a list to see if this is something other stackers (i.e. those concerned with SHTF scenarios and those trying to save $ by buying in bulk or as a local collective) would be interested in.

20. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

If you do end up doing something please send me a pm. To make it worthwhile you probably need a few dozen people involved.

BTW - when you say bulk do you mean at wholesale markets or farmer direct?