taking bar out of original packing?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by schmidtyss, Aug 2, 2011.

1. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

i have a 5 gram normal JM bar and its got some tarnish on it because there is a crack on the bottom of the "sealed" plastic. I was wondering if it would hurt the value any if i took it out and cleaned it up.Im prob just over cautious but better to ask first than later lol[​IMG]

2. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

anyone?

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It probably would.

The general advice is don't clean anything if it isn't in any danger of being harmed.

By leaving it as it is you have more options to sell it, you can always take it out of the packaging and clean it whenever you want but you can never restore it back to its original condition if a collector is looking for one.

The only time I would take anything out of its original package would be if the plastic was PVC and contained softners.

(You can of course artificially restore the patina and probably reseal the plastic as well but that takes effort)

You can put it in a glad bag, seal it with some of the silica beads to prevent any further oxidation but I don't think you have a real problem there.

4. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

hmm very true ...yea ill just leave it as is ill only clean it if the bar gets black and do one of them vacuum sealers to "re" seal it

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Probably for the best and even if it gets black it is not a big issue, check out the youtube videos using aluminium foil and bi carb of soda, looks very nice and no scrubbing or visible damage to the bar.

6. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

5 gram silver bars hey. I didn't know they existed. What kinda premium does one pay on $6 worth of silver?

7. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

depending on the maker ive seen some no names bars go for cheap but on that bar in the pic i have was like 20 bucks.....i figured wth its a semi low serial number bar from a great company that dosent make silver anymore here is the video i watched that got me hooked on these lil fellas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J7SQkMiB14