We all like silver... but are very diverse

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 1for1, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Since joining the forum i have noticed the cross-section diversity of posters to this site...

without elaborating to much about demographics it seems we come from a wide range of social, cultural and ethnic backgrounds....

So what is it that makes us all share a common trait such as silver investment?

Personally i fell upon silver investment on my own research and did all the hard yards completely by myself... just wondering how others came to find out about silver...

So what made you invest..

1for1

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

At first I only invested because of all the YKY-esque literature I read on the internet. The graphs, the COMEX charts, the intense 200% returns and all that. I was ... excited and lured by the promises of riches and potential of Silver. Of course reality hit when spot started climbing exponentially over $40 I realized that all was not what it seemed and it looked like a bubble forming. Upon reading more about stuff like Silver Liberation Army and other stuff I realized they ... did not share the ideological views similar to mines (to put it politely).

Of course my view is now drastically changed after absorbing lots more information such as books and the forums :). Realizing the extensive debt charts around the world, I figured the best way to protect my wealth would be to invest in certain things, PMs being one of them.

Thus, now the investment is for wealth preservation and occasional fun (yes PMs are fun to hold).

Still got burnt a little bit during the April market surge but the experience was definitely valuable.

An interesting market this is, glad I'm part of it.

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My interest in PMs stems from distrust of politicians, bankers and the so-called 'elite'.

4. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

stumbled onto silver at around $17/oz by chance, became heavily interested in the 'back story'

I like that it lets me escape the banking system
    I like the potential gains as investment
    I like the obsessive nerd collectors angle to coins
    I like the beauty and history of sterling silverware
    I like the connection it gives me to the history of humankind, wondering where my gold sovereigns have been and what they have purchased
    I like the antibacterial properties
    I like the romantic mysticism side to it, metal of the moon, silver bullets, etc
    I like that silver jewellery makes my special lady friend EVEN more beautiful
    I like that i've met a wide array of interesting and knowledgable characters through this forum and F2F trades

It gives so much more as an 'investment' than just numbers sitting in an electronic bank account or share portfolio.

5. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

A friend got me into silver last year I've become a little obsessed I guess but I just feel like someone showing up late to the big game and i'm trying to make up for lost time. But I've really become to appreciate the history and beauty of gold and silver.
    Like blockhead said above its much more gratifying than looking at numbers on a screen!

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Had been feeling uneasy about the world economy since about the mid to late '80s. The trigger was finding out that the USG had mandated that ALL the reserves of the Department of Social Securiy be 'invested' in US Treasury Bonds. IOW, the the USG had borrowed AND SPENT the reserves.

That rang a BIG bell with me and I have been reading all i could ever since.

I stumbled on Peter Schiff, Robert Kiyosaki, and many others and the central theme of their advice was "buy PHYSICAL silver and gold'. I followed up that advice, and soon found the idea was almost universal, so at that point i ended up on Ebay buying ASEs off 'Atherton Ore'. I then went to 'Bullion Bourse' but both had me worrying about what records they kept and what the government would eventually know about me. No complaints about their services or prices.

Now I buy solely from SS members, and will eventually probably sell to SS members, after the SHTF. I will continue to buy as long as i can.

7. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

I got in to silver recently, Just after it dropped back from the high 40's into mid 30's spot.

In seeing the fundamentals of all fiat fails eventually I saw no reason to save digital dollars on a computer screen. Never did. My family have always understood the ponzi scheme that is our banking system and US reserve currency.

For my whole life I struggled with the contrasting lessons from my parents. On one hand money is all debt, fraud and going to collapse eventually, on the other you have to save for the future.

In buying my first physical silver I realized I was saving real money. I couldn't be tempted to cash out and spend it on crap because I understood the intrinsic value. I have a stack, when the fiat system collapses my wealth will be calculated in ounces.

Bring on the biggest wealth transfer in the history of money.

8. Michela11

Michela11 Member

I first got into silver and gold bullion early this year, just before the death of my beloved father, on his advice. Silver and gold jewellery sewn in the hems of their clothes was what paid their way and bought food on a trek across the front line of Eastern Europe from Latvia during World War Two. Dad always said silver and gold are money when currency fails or is seen as useless.

My father's advice was to keep buying the best silver or gold I can afford, and am comfortable with. He understood jewellery and collectibles, as that was the only way they were able to buy silver (in particular) and gold back in the day.

As a result, I've collected vintage silver for many years, and being a bargain hunter at heart, always tried to peg it first to spot price with a premium for artistry, the silver company etc.

Now it's bullion with the odd jewellery piece, as more and more people are selling vintage silver at huge prices.

Couple with extreme cynicism about the political process, banks, our debt culture and what I do believe is a massive world wakeup call already, the decision is easy.

I have a young son and want to ensure we do well in years to come.

9. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

my gold sneezed and there was this silvery residue :p

10. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Back about 7 - 8 years ago I had the feeling that the US dollar was in 'trouble' (my thread was s the USD in trouble') and even posted it on a forum and got a huge response - some very unkind comments from USA citizens. actually that was the first time I realised the USD was no longer backed by gold! :eek:
    I even said people should buy silver - but didn't do it myself, thinking there was always plenty of time. :(

I then recently started hearing about another possible financial crisis and this time looked into what people thought about the gold and silver price (about 2 months ago)
    Then I stumbled on ss and it is history from there. I have always disliked banks and didn't like the bank bailouts. Lots more reading and research led me to the belief that it was worth converting most of my bank savings to both gold and silver.

I am just safeguarding my savings. I am not into rare coins myself although now I know a bit more thanks to ss, I would buy them if I saw a bargain. May even invest in pandas and dragons! :)

ps I don't tell too many that I am buying pms but I have been surprised when mentioning silver to a few people that they also have silver - one person still stacked (kg bars) from the 80s and used as doorstops etc another one who had never told me about silver actually still has 300 oz stashed away! - makes me feel less 'nutty'. :|

11. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

First bought my pm's in 1987 and never stopped !

12. Guest

Guest Guest

For a few years a friend has been 'educating' me about global economic crisis. To begin with I thought that they were being somewhat pessimistic but over the last year I have come to recognise that much of what they are telling me makes a whole heap of sense as the future looks increasingly grim. :/

Like some others in this thread, I am coming late into the game but I am gradually building myself a little hedging fund in PMs and also in commodities like non-perishable foods, fuel and hardware.

I think the majority of the UK population will be ill prepared if a real crisis develops (all the signs are that it is heading that way) and I don't want to be one of them.

Plus, there is nothing quite so satisfying as being able to see the money that I work hard to earn converted into something physical and beautiful that actually looks like it's worth something. It's a comfort.

13. BBQ

BBQ Member

Corrupt bankers and the satisfaction of not dealing with them.

14. BBQ

BBQ Member

+1
    Education is the key. I wouldn't be anywhere near silver (or gold) without the right information (or listening to the disinformation, half-truths and outright lies on TV) so I can understand why not many are into it.

I was one that did the hard yards myself, just like the original poster. I wish somebody took the time to tell me years ago.

1) The basics of money are not half as complex as they're made out to be. We can be in control with some basic information about how the monetary system works.

2) We don't have to rely on banks for everything, and it's in our best interests that we do the least business we can with them.

15. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

I have tried to give fairly heavy handed hints and tips to family members and friends, and had very little response or interest. A few links in emails that never get answered.

I have a little nibble from a son and daughter, but the others can fend for themselves.

OC

16. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where do I start?

Glad all others are on the right path, no matter when you found the path.

My journey began with fond memories of my grand father coming around to polish the family Silver.

There are still Silver knives, forks, spoons with family crest floating around the main family home.

Who also gave me a love of old world stamps.

Which also go me into the bug of PNC's.

Got the BUG a few years ago when mum past to the other side.

Got some family coins, Gold, Silver, Platimum Perth Mint issues in her will.

Do old Rolex watches, Pearl necklaces & opal bracelets count?

Then saw the $ problems around the globe
    & looked at where to stash the family hoard.

The PM coins seemed the most liquid to hold.

Got some Roos & Kooks with $15-$20 price tags still attached.

Have been stacking since..............

Mainly bullion.

Does not matter what you pay in fiat $ but know that you are holding onto is historical forms of wealth.

Enjoy the journey & love the ones around you.

As far as trying to get friends & co-workers on the path.............

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

One other thing about stacking PM's............

Remember your stack & the boating accident.

17. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was working in a customers house and while in the study i noticed a book. Rich Dad poor dad. the title grabbed my attention as i had just become a new dad. I never knew what the book was about until a month later i was in the local library and it was on the shelf and just jumped out at me. So i took it home and the rest is history. Started researching money, investing, etc and thats when i too fell down the rabbit hole..
    Shared all the info with my wife and here we are today a couple of happy stackers. We bought in just after the drop in May 2011.
    I dont really tell people i am stacking but rather open their eyes about the economy America and Europe etc. talk a little bit about banks anmd the creation of money. I feel that will be enough if people are interested for them to find PMs.
    The silly credit/debt creation of money and the manipulation by the big boys is why i am loving also being my own banker now. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!

18. OTIS

OTIS New Member

New to the game of collecting PMs as of two months ago. Was intrigued to the amount of qualifying 'Gold party' and 'We buy YOUR gold here' collectors had to have (one day apparently with sales techniques) as I was interested in the business model seeing them pop up everywhere.

I asked the question to myself 'why aren't they doing gold and SILVER parties?' and hence my journey down the silver slippery slide began!!!

SS has been a great encyclopaedia of knowledge as well! So a big shout out to all members for contributing your knowledge and passing it on to, Me, the less informed!