Gold Tester

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Preciousmetal, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Preciousmetal

Preciousmetal New Member

I am looking to buy a good electronic gold tester. I do not want to be working with anything complicated or messy at all (no gels etc.), so the following (AuRACLE gold tester) is the type of thing I have in mind:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/auracle/goldtester/prweb8633880.htm

Is this type of thing really reliable? I would be using this in order to locate 24 carat gold jewelry. If there is anything better than this, please let me know.

2. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My best guess would be that this is based on a closed-circuit conductivity meter.

Conductivity meters wouldn't be able to distinguish between gold plating and solid gold, unless you mechanically penetrate into the core metal.

3. Preciousmetal

Preciousmetal New Member

Thanks,

So you don't think this is a very reliable way of testing?

Any other suggestions?

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

XRF machine is the best option but
    $25k

5. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Hmm would be interesting to trial one - some of the electronic testers claim to be able to determine between plated & filled, and this one doesn't require fluid (many do).

If you were using it just to test coins it might be fine, but throwing a chunky "18K HGP" bangle on there might push it's abilities. Not horrendously overpriced.

7. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Specific gravity and acid - wouldn't trust these electronic testers as there is good fake and thick plate circulating.
    Lots of people selling and passing on gold especially at the current highs.
    Chances of being conned with fake jewellery ( and bars ) is becoming a higher risk unless you trust your sources implicitly.
    Coins have precise dimensions and weights so somewhat easier to verify.
    Play safe !!

8. peterrogers

peterrogers New Member

The Electronic testers seem to be accurate in the lower carat band but in the higher you will get results such as 18ct +. Acid tests have about 5% inaccuracy which won't really help for the dodgy asian 22ct.

Also another problem is dodgy acids, make sure the supplier you buy them from has fresh acids that aren't more than 3 months old and are actually contain the correct acid in the bottle IE 22ct is 22ct acid and not 18ct solution. XRF Guns can have inaccurate readings they are known to play up abit....Not worth the 20k in my opinion.

I would recommend a desktop XRF machine they are usually correct with in 2%. I do believe they have come down a lot in price lately at around 10k.

I hope this helps.

9. Preciousmetal

Preciousmetal New Member

Thanks Peter,

Very helpful and insightful information, but the unfortunate thing is that few people will have 10 thousand dollars to throw around for a gold tester.

10. alex757ronald

alex757ronald New Member

The best way to determine gold is the process of conductivity.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Is it correct to state that the XRF'S only penetrate to about 3mm,so one would have to cut into objects thicker than this to test the innards of the material.??
    Examples would be chains etc

12. peterrogers

peterrogers New Member

Redback you are correct the XRF will on penetrate 3mm. You would need to file in or double check suspicious items with an acid test.

13. PAS

PAS New Member Silver Stacker

XRF will analyze about 10 microns in 24K and about 20 microns in 9k. The suggestion of cutting or filling the smamples is an excellent one before testing samples you believe may be plated.

14. Preciousmetal

Preciousmetal New Member

Is there a particular type of jewelry that, by its nature, will be difficult to counterfeit? For example, bangles, chains etc...

15. shukor1965

shukor1965 New Member

interested with feedback, those had used all type of electronic gold tester which available online. example auracle or trielectronic from USA. i want to know n understand the limitation. what i found all positive finding and yet i curious for people that find it negative.

do please share the finding... even small faulty...

16. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Bangles are the most counterfeited jewellery item and are being designer to beat 'the XRF.

A small filling on the inside rim or a bangle with a jewellers file is generally enough to expose it so that the XRF can penetrate deep enough to detect high silver or copper content. I investigate a lot of machines before investing in the XRF and none come close.

The new XRF model is calibrated so that the statistical probability of error can be as little as .5%.
    Do not confuse the statistical probability as being the same as a +/- accuracy,

They are two completely different mathematical equations that mean two completely different thing and most people get this wrong. Even though they own an XRF.

That is why it is so important to have the proper training, ensure calibration is correct when you have received the product and know what your talking about especially if a customer asks for a print out.

They can look at it and say well it could be 12 or 16ct because it could be 2% out so why are you only paying for 14. If you don't know what the print out means you could end up with an angry customer or paying too much because you look at the readings as an accuracy and not a statistical provability of error.

If in doubt don't buy the jewellery. If a customer is honest then they are going to have no problem with a small mark that wont be seen to ensure accuracy.

17. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

PS: Investigated the online gold type detectors and decided against them. Won't test for a large enough range of alloys to give accurate Also if you read the fine print on the one you are looking ar gives you A RANGE of possible carrats. Danger Will Robinson Danger.
    readings. There is a reason they are cheap. ;)