Stackers in Canada

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sargeant Argent, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Hello, while most folks on here are living in Australia I've noticed there's folks from all over on here. Thought it'd be interesting to find out who else on here is from Canada so maybe we're could get some trades going (can't let the aussies have all the fun). So anyways I live on Vancouver island and I've been stacking for about 8 months. I'd be interested in trading or buying small gold coins (preferrably not maples as I already have some) and mexican silver coins.

So where are my fellow Canucks at?

2. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Here!

Vancouver to be exact. And yes I agree, the Australians are having too much fun with their trades, at times I get quite jealous ;)

3. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

Canadian from the praries here!

Nothing to trade as of yet, but a FYI silvergoldbull.com has 1/10 austrian gold philharmonics if you're looking for other gold coins. They're based out of AB i believe

cheers,

4. Sargeant Argent

Thanks Canadian Metal Head may check that out. I've been looking into border gold as well their prices are really good for maples and AGE's but they don't sell fractional AGE's. They have kuggerand fractionals but the premium is rather high same goes for there recognized fractional bars. Have to check out silvergoldbull.com.
    Diablo next time I'm on the mainland or you're on the island maybe we can arrange a trade.

5. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I just started stacking/collecting, so I'm afraid I don't have anything to trade. I mostly have Maples and just bought a few Pandas and Koalas, I love the craftsmanship on these coins, they make the maples look pretty bad IMO ;). I wouldn't mind meeting a fellow stacker though, I have much to learn about silver and gold.

Thanks cdnmetalmetalhead for the link, I had never heard of them, will probably use them to buy some of the foreign stuff.

I love their Treasure Burial Steel Pail, it needs to come with a shovel though.

http://silvergoldbull.com/s/accessories/steel-pail-for-treasure-burial.html
    [​IMG]

6. Sargeant Argent

Nice I like that yeah silvergoldbull.com has decent prices on the foreign stuff there's a 5 gram perth mint wafer with my name on it! Wouldn't mind a silver panda and silver philaharmonic as well ;)

7. AgOx

AgOx Member

8. philipz

philipz New Member

Canadian living in Dubai here. Been stacking for the last 2 years. Bullion Bulls Canada is a great site which i frequent often and I just did my first order from Silver Gold Bull last month. I wrote up a buyer's guide for all my fellow canadians. Hope its helpful.

9. Sargeant Argent

Didn't know sale of coins bars below 1000 dollars was tax exempt. Another reason to buy smaller coins/bars in bulk.

10. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I've never paid taxes on any of the coins or bars I've bought, as long as the purity is 99.9% or higher.

11. SirMoz

SirMoz New Member

With the strength of the CDN$ don't be afraid to order from USDealers. As mentioned above, 999 Ag/Au is GST/HST exempt.

Mind you, the CBSA postal customs people often don't realize the tax exemption and force collection of HST on delivery but if you get nailed with a charge when your package arrives you can claim the money back by following the process on the import receipt on the package. It takes between 1 and 2 months to get cheques back from the CBSA though...but they will come eventually.

If you have the sender clearly mark the package with the correct import code, it significantly increases your chances of being properly assessed as exempt coming in through customs.

Have the sender put (for discretion, you might want to leave out the "silver" word):

".999 Ag/Silver Bullion" import code/tariff #: 7118.90.00.99 ***GST/HST exempt

In my notes I have written 7108.20.00.00 for gold and 7118.90.00.99 for silver, but you might want to double check -- there are some pdfs with tariff/duty/import codes somewhere on the government site, but I don't have a reference link.

Info on disputing a improper assement and getting a refund if you were charged HST can be found at: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dispute-contestation-eng.html

As a funny note, last winter an order I got from the Perth Mint was marked and declared as "Metal Samples" ...needless to say, it didn't get the exemption and I had to go through the adjustment/refund process. Overall I bat about 50/50 on getting nailed. Ebay/personal looking packages usually come through ok -- packages from a "business" and clearly marked with value, etc on the customs forms are what generally ahve the tax charge applied (incorrectly).

12. Sargeant Argent

Good info there thanks. I was actually thinking more of sovereigns and st guadens eagles etc. I was thinking of ordering a few mexican 2 peso coins from a dealer in the US but won't be doing so now as they're not .999 so they would be taxed. Not sure what the duty rate is but its probably enough to just find a seller out of Canada!

13. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

Aussie eavesdropper here. Isn't your postal service suspended over there? Or is there more than one? I've been looking at coins etc all over the world on fleabay, but they've warned us about Canada post. (?)

14. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

They've been back for a few weeks now but have a major backlog (or so they say). I have quite a few items still undelivered, it's really making me mad.

15. Sargeant Argent

Yeah I'm waiting on a few things as well, but they are up and running. For some reasons there's all sorts of delays on my cheques, however my bills arrive in record time!

16. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Hahaha, aint that the truth. I'm also waiting on a check or two. After complaining earlier, my first order at silvergoldbull.com/ came through today. Ordered 5 lunar 2011 1 oz coins, man those things are beautiful, makes me want to move to Australia just for their beautiful silver coins ;)

17. Sargeant Argent

I'd love to move there but unless you're a brain surgeon or marry an Aussie (pretty sure the misses wouldn't like that ;) ) its pretty much impossible. Oh well we have it pretty good in Canada!

18. philipz

philipz New Member

One thing i like about Oz is that they have prices with tax included in it. One thing i hated about Oz is the way they treated me at the airport.

19. Sargeant Argent

Yeah I liked the beaches and the good waves, food was expensive though! Have to go back some day, and buy some carded koalas! ;)