Want to waste heaps of time and Lose money... try ebay

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 1for1, Jun 24, 2011.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

WARNING: Before listing on ebay, and if you are trying to make money then you must take into account the various fees and laws these two entites make you adhere to when you list on the online auction site: ebay.

In order to sell and recieve $10 through paypal you would need:

1. Pay a listing fee (depending on your item), more money for a reserve as they try to get you to list at .99c so that the item will sell and ebay will further profit through sucess fees and paypal fees.

2. Success fees - when/if your item sells ebay takes another greedy % (percentage) of the total amount of the winning bid

3. Paypal fee - Ebay purposely has a payment monopoly so they are in full control of all sales made through this channel. Once ebay has fleeced you for the above fees, paypal gauges any remaining money you may have remaining from the initial sale

4. Lost/Missing items... if for ANY reason the item never makes it to there final desitination the seller is 100% accountable.. dont worry you dont have a say.. paypal will just draw the funds from your nominated account that you have attached to paypal. (very convenient).

Obviously the buyer could claim they never receved and like so many sellers LOSE all the above fees, lose you sold product, and then paypal takes the TOTAL including postage costs from your bank account OR paypal balance.

If you do not supply a tracking number then you straight out have no say.. if you can prove you shipped via EXPENSIVE tracking method then the despute may result in you not losing but bacially you still lose and just get whatever insurance policy was on the shipping from your end.

So assumming you have listed your item well including great images, good description, paid extra for more images, a gallery or feature,

In my next post i will examine how much over the final sale price youd need to make to actually break even in a sale showing all ebays costs as per sighted on there own sight.

2. ozbullion

ozbullion Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

thanks 1for1

3. NQDave

NQDave Active Member Silver Stacker

Good post,You've covered most of the points people have had problems with. I know some seller list that they don't want to deal with minimal record people (low rep or newish member on ebay).

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Good post but there are some measures you can use to minimise fees, see in bold

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I prefer to sell on here,I gave up selling on feeeebay around Christmas
    I still buy but very rarely

6. Haggai 2:8

Haggai 2:8 Member

For those who are just trying to sell your junk at any price, it doesn't matter.

But for those who don't want to lose or make a profit, I highly recommend this ebay calculator. At least you can work out at what price you should start your listings. http://ecal.altervista.org/en/fee_calculator/ebay.com.au/

7. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

So far I've only been selling junk on eBay which has been fine, essentially I am not looking for a specific price.

Generally I charge for the normal standard postage on my listings, but I then when I am at the post office I spent the extra $4 of my own money to chuck on registered/signature tracking - therefore whilst the buyer might think they can try scam me, they'll never know until they pick up the item.

8. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Guilty of this myself - a few bucks means nothing compared to some deals for peace of mind...

+ A1!

9. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

these two are actually out of order. First you pay the paypal fees on the entire amount paid to you. then after you've paid 2.9% of everything (including the 9% that will eventually go to ebay) you then pay the ebay fees which don't take into account that you've already paid a paypal fee to receive the money that you will then pay back to ebay. This would be okay if Ebay deducted 2.9% from what you owe them in fees ... bastards.

its a subtle difference, but the devil is in the details!

10. shinythings

shinythings New Member

Based on a transaction of $1000.00

Ebay insertion fee...3.50
    Ebay final value fee 25.43
    Pay Pal 2.4% fee 24.00
    Pay Pal ?? .30

53.23 with bare minimum listing with no extras or options , and we have`nt factored in postage yet . Can you imagine how many transactions there are worldwide and the money they are making ?

" A WARNING ABOUT EBAY " ... Ebay have just received notice from the ATO and Centerlink for details about sellers who have sold more than 20,000.00 in the last financial year , Ebay have made the announcment of thier compliance . We all know the ATO and this federal governments addiction to other peoples money . Next year it will 10,000.00 and falling .

11. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

I figured about the same when I considered selling - worked it out at about 5.5%. As for the ATO I didn't think it would be long before they started fishing around.