Perth Mint (PM) delivery times

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Paulo, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Paulo

Paulo Member

I have no problems with Perth Mints business model. I have reviewed it quite closely and it gives me the reassurance I need to enable to transact.

All I would like to see is greater transparency around how it fulfils its back orders. Is this possible?

It could be as simple as publishing something on their website. Last order fulfilment dates is all that would be required. E.g. "1kg silver bar back orders from up to 20 May 2011 are now available for collection/delivery. 100oz bar back orders from up to 15 May 2011 are now available". Availability of different denominations could be handled with separate receipts upon ordering. It could be in a table format so that publishing is not a hassle, updated in the same way that prices are updated.

Surely this would save much business effort as it would save people calling about their orders, save time (and frustration) with staff explaining orders and how the system works, save time with staff calling people about how their orders are available for collection. It must be hard on Perth Mint staff explaining all the time. Having a think about it, it is quite unfair that they are put in that position. It might help explain why SS have experienced down days in service attitude.

2. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Agree with Paulo

Why would it be so difficult to publish something on the website about backorders?

3. Paulo

Paulo Member

My time spent with a Perth Mint Sales Consultant...

1. 1/3 = Ordering (should be a +ve experience for sales consultant & customer)
    2. 1/3 = Following up back orders (-ve experience for both sales consultant & customer)
    3. 1/3 = Collecting (should be a +ve experience for sales consultant & customer).

Cutting out 2 (being a bit simplistic) could save up to 1/3 of a Sales Consultants time and create a more harmonious experience for the consultant and the customer. Happier consultant = happier customer, happier customer = happier consultant.

4. shinythings

shinythings New Member

I dont think anyone wants the red carpet treatment or to be doted on , just a bit more verbal interaction where needed would be more to the point .

I have been told over the bullion counter that cash is the only accepted form of payment , but it sounds like others have a different understanding , and thats what we mean by poor service . I realise that even our large purchases are a just a trickle to them .." but a cup-a-tea and a bicky would be nice "....lol

And yes ( hand up ) ... i still have a cheque book , a neandortholic remnant that im attached to ..:)

5. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

I don't expect red carpet treatment either.
    Last year, prior to the upgrade/refurbishing of the bullion sales section the staff were warm, friendly and courteous and it was great.
    Post refurbishing (where they have turned the bullion section into cubicles with glass panels like bank tellers), it is has completely changed and the service is cold with an "I can't be bothered attitude"

>>>>>>>>next !

But yes, we are lucky to have the Perth Mint.

6. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Please, there are 2 here, People who work for PM and PM as a supplier.

metals are heavy you know, the people working there, its an occupational hazard, can fall on their feet. hahahe or no sound ;-) it can hurt real bad.

so be nice, so long as you can convert your paper into metal, you are lucky to have the mint there mate!

7. shinythings

shinythings New Member

Yes ..! We are lucky to have the Mint here , escepially given the effort i see some others make in order to obtain thier bullion .

8. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I'd have to say dealing with Perth Mint is way less frustrating than dealing with many other government departments...

So on that scale, they're pretty damn good at what they do.

They're no Hilton Hotel though :p

9. Paulo

Paulo Member

Some people in the UK drive to mainland for their silver!

We very lucky. In a way I am glad the Perth Mint does not chase the $....would you like fries with that.

10. whereisado

whereisado Member

After what I heard from Paulo I am glad I didn't make the purchase from PM, just for the anxiety factor, the firm in Brisbane I went through for my first purchase YAY! was very efficient in the delivery. Hi guys new Stacker here, I want to thank you all for your knowledge, it has helped me quite a lot.

11. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't be put off by the PM delays. In many regards they are price competitive, including freight and insurance, than dealing with other dealers. Just for the record I am in Melbourne.

By the way welcome. :)

12. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

ino cheques , no efpost , no credit cards .. !!! no direct deposit facility ...." only cash "

After the Mickleberg incident, we are now paranoid about cleared funds (ie deposits we get cannot taken back). Credit cards for example are not cleared funds as credit card companies reserve the right to repudiate due to possibility of stolen cards. That is why we will not take CC on large bullion sales. Cheques are the same - even bank cheques can be cancelled.

Never had any issues with them. So they ain't overfriendly? They're probably run off their feet.

Last year, prior to the upgrade/refurbishing of the bullion sales section the staff were warm, friendly and courteous and it was great. Post refurbishing (where they have turned the bullion section into cubicles with glass panels like bank tellers), it is has completely changed and the service is cold with an "I can't be bothered attitude"

The change in refurbishment also coincided with huge demand for bullion, so yes the staff are a bit stressed compared to prior times when the number of over the counter bullion trades could be counted on one hand. It is not an excuse, just explanation.

All I would like to see is greater transparency around how it fulfils its back orders. Is this possible?

I think the website prefers to call each client as the order is ready to go. They allocate metal coming out of the factory to deals on a deal-by-deal basis, so it is easier to just call the client as you do that.

Our approach to catching up with back orders is to do one size of bar in one go and then move on to another size - this means less setup so we can get through them quicker. It will mean that if you have different sizes in one order it might delay, but we think this is the fastest way to get on top of the back orders.

BTW, I emailed a link to this post to the managers of the website and shop so they are aware and will address your issues.

13. typhoon

typhoon New Member

Hey Paulo. If you have to wait 3 months for something whether you locked in a price or not, there is a problem with the business model. Why is the lack of organisation by the management unfortunate for the staff, if they don't like the job go get another one and you can't say there is a shortage of work in WA. I don't expect any special or red carpet treatment from anybody but I also don't expect to be served a nonchalent arrogant clown who has a look on their face as if they just ate a raw lime. Maybe they should put a sign up explaining their system then the staff wouldn't have to get depressed about it. There are some great ladies working at the Jewellery counters and in the Cafe, but the bullion counter consulatnts need a week at PR school me thinks. It costs nothing to be polite to a customer. I don't like handing a wad of cash to anyone, saying thanks to them and getting a nonchalent rude grunt back for my politeness.
    As for being a national treasure or lucky to have a mint in Perth whats that about, a restored old building, most probably at taxpyers expense, redisigned to fleece tourists sellling some of the most expensive above spot gold and silver in the known world. Try this because it works well for me, don't waste your time driving or walking in to the PM to be served, if you can call it that, by arrogant clowns. Instead buy from here for a little more and you will have your stuff in a day or two, or go on line and buy from an O/Seas mint. There is no duty, the quality is just as good and often better, and you don't have to nervously wait for up to 3 months to get your stuff.

14. Paulo

Paulo Member

Fair question!

Plusses I see in the Perth Mint business model...

1. WA Government backed less likely to lose a back order
    2. Produces its own bars less likely to receive a counterfeit bar
    3. Refines its own silver less likely to have a supplier fold with its cash making it go bankrupt
    4. Does not play derivatives less likely to over extend itself
    5. Takes cash for the full order, meaning it does not over extend itself by purchasing on behalf of customers which may default (volume default could easily occur when we have large dips- "oops sorry don't want it no more its lost too much value"), placing all of its customers at risk.
    6. Takes a commission, rather than trying to time the market by buying low and selling high less likely to bankrupt itself through poor timing.
    7. Subject to Public Sector Legislation, meaning it has (should have in theory) more oversight and accountability than a private organisation. It certainly has more avenues for appeal should something unethical occur. A public sector salary is not worth going to jail over.

Things I like about the customer service model...

1. Being able to order online or over the counter.
    2. Physical being available for sale even when there is a major dip (over the counter still works)
    3. Good quality silver which is respected world-wide and can be easily converted to cash.
    4. They buy back their own products.

What I don't like about the customer service model...
    1. Long wait periods
    2. Little or no communication
    3. Not too fussed about the rough personal service, but have noticed it.

Happy for people to pull this post apart, especially the business model bit. I would rather find out now than latter when cash is involved.