300 percent markup on fruit and vegetables

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Nugget, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...es-off-the-table/story-e6frep2f-1226073565941

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I regard it as a sign of government corruption that the Grocery Duopoly in Australia has not been reigned in. Someone is getting paid off. The position that the big two grocery chains hold in this country show clearly that some in the government put the welfare of themselves before the welfare of the citizens of Australia. I wonder who is taking the kickbacks, and I wonder how many pollies are looking forward to a board position with these companies when they leave politics?

I wonder what spot price is on pineapples?

3. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

Qld Health is one of the most staggeringly incompetent government departments out there so i take anything they say with a grain of salt. Having said that, Bananas were $14/kg at Woolies last time i looked. I never eat them anyway.

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buy at farmer's markets where you can folks ... the money goes straight into their hands and those guys are doing it tougher than most.

5. boyd_05

boyd_05 Member Silver Stacker

+1 Was just there yesterday, i feel much better handing my $$$ over to them :)

6. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Oh to live in Bundy... Pineapples(small but sweet) 59cents... custard apples 2kg for $3.97...tomatoes $2.34kg....avocados 59cents each even bananas $6.99. Not at supermarkets(prices same as Brisbane)

Opps! Now you know how I save money to buy silver.

Regards Errol43

7. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

I really don't understand how the supermarkets dictate the price at which they buy produce. If I'm a grower, then it's MY bloody pineapples/tomatoes/milk or whatever and surely I can charge what I want for it?

Fair enough, Woolies may flex their muscles and refuse to buy for a few days, but in the end they'll have to pay the price.

Am I missing something , or just being naive?

8. Neddy

Neddy New Member

We moved to Townsville 6 months ago (just in time for Cyclone Yasi etc). Unfortunately there is only the duopoly here - no Aldi. Prices are ridiculous - don't know how some people can afford them.

What staggers me most is the cost of beef. Given that we have so many cattle producers up this way, I would have thought that meat would have been cheaper than down south. But it's not.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the retail price of beef given the current crisis with overseas exports. Surely that means a lot more supply for local markets, thus the prices should go down?

But I'm probably ony dreaming and hoping .............

9. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

You can grow pineapples in pots. When you buy a pineapple just cut the spikey top of them off & plant it. A baby pineapple will sprout out the top of that. Rinse & repeat when you harvest that one, and you'll end up with plenty of pineapples.

Cherry tomatos grow like weeds, and are great in salads. Acid free varieties are even tastier.

10. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're in for a treat after winter Neddy. Far north to be in the stinking hot tropics, but not far north enough to get the cooling monsoon or rainforest and then the heat makes the local populace go troppo!... and wait till you see what they do when they get behind the wheel :)

As for fruit, veg and meat, all the best stuff goes to the capital cities and the rest is left behind (just like the apples in Tasweigia). I couldn't beleive when I moved to Brisvegas, not only were the roads fantastic, the fruit and veg is cheaper and better quality than what's on offer where it was grown!