I tried to short silver.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by LaramieHirsch, May 16, 2011.

1. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_at_risk#Criticism

2. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

you tried to short physical silver?

3. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

LaramieHirsch - not pointing fingers but you learnt some good lessons - shorting as pointed out refers to selling silver contracts or the like. I'm guilty of saying 'short physical' but it's a play on words...

...and Yes I agree with Turk - charts suggest this is a current bottom and will move to $39 ish next - MY OPINION! TAKE IT AS A GRAIN OF SALT :)

Have you heard of the term 'dollar cost average'? good one to look up - think this is your next 'safest' move - should use the same tactic when selling unless you need the cash quickly.

Lastly sounds like your trying to trade the spot with physical - doesn't work quite the same given the 'spread' (difference in dollars between what you can buy at and sell at - in this case the dealers markups) Instead,if this is your plan, would suggest one of the silver index's or mining companies like CCU or AYN.

Good luck

4. LaramieHirsch

LaramieHirsch New Member

Yup.

Yeah, hard lesson. I am hoping I can rectify it with a new, smarter, albeit risky, move.

"Dollar cost average?" I'll try looking this up today. Not sure I understand what you mean in mentioning it, but I'll look into it on my next break.

Yeah. The spread kills me. Silver Wheaton isn't a mining company exactly. Instead, they go to all the mines out there, and they take all the ore and what not that contains silver that the mining company doesn't need. For example, they will go to a copper mine, obtain some ore with silver in it that the copper miners don't need, and sell that.

Silver Wheaton's been steady for the last few years. They're not questionable and new or anything like that. They're solid as far as I can tell.

Yes, I know. Paying off the card sounds like a nice immediate gain. But if I could do a little more with this money, I could pay off the card completely, instead of spending the next six months saving up to pay for the remainder of the card with hard labor.

I, too, expect the paper market to blow up. But not just yet.

But yeah, those premiums above spot are killer. A hard lesson, like Ag said.

5. samwang

samwang New Member

right now i believe silver is heading for another rally maybe up to 38-40, then it will have another correction, maybe down to 30 or sth

or it will rise above 40 and 33 marks the end of this correction

personally i think there will be another correction coming

6. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Why on earth would you pay over a 10% fee on an investment? Thats like, insane!
    Just short a CFD or SLV, 0.01% fee, in and out cash in ur profit for cold hard metal then?

Your silver dealer just make a decent buck from you :)
    I would be demanding my money back.

7. Silvester

Silvester Member

Thought it said you tried to snort silver. That's a no-no.

8. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Why not have a foot in both camps. Buy some physical now (maybe 50% - maybe more, maybe less) and plan on buying more if the price goes down or you think it has made a descent base. This way you keep some cash available in case it does go down further but if it "goes to the moon" you haven't missed out either.

malachi

9. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I once snorted a line of ground pepper for a bet. It was agony, but worth the 50 quid.... Until my nose began to bleed for the next 30 minutes.

Never again.

10. Wout

Wout New Member

see what happens after June 30th, could be a good time to buy in depending on how the US economy reacts to QE2 ending. I dont think it will react well and commodities/shares will take a hit before they roll out QE3 or something similar