Is this The Bag?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MelbBrad, May 16, 2011.

1. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

If you came in to make a profit like "the smart ones" did, then yea, you shoulda got out to score a profit.
    i.e. stuck to your objectives, just like they stuck to theirs

If you're wearing a tin foil hat then that wasn't a signal to sell.
    It was a signal not to continue buying and just hold onto your stack.

ps. My tin foil hat told me to fill my cupboards with tuna cans right after the japanese disaster, so instead of buying more silver I bought more non-perishables during that period :p

Edit: Though I did buy some silver purely for trading purposes, which I keep separate to my GFC2 stack @_@

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

My tinfoil hat tells me that canned Tuna has excessive mercury levels which could kill me :p. THEY'RE ALL OUT TO GET ME.

YOU SHOULD STOCK UP ON PRESERVED FISHBALLS :)

3. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Mine said the same thing. I know all about mercury levels in our oceans and how it increases as you go up the food chain :(

Of course, I don't eat too much seafood as much as I love it, since I do consider the recommendations of eating seafood only once a week maximum for a young male human. @_@

My stack should last a loooooonngg time in that regard and at least should be radioactive particle free :p

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Silver is volatile to the extreme, I knew this before I went all in at $42-$45. Did you know this?

5. Silver Natural 9

Silver Natural 9 New Member

The sensation you are experiencing, is the quickening.

6. Stexe

Stexe New Member

Yeah indeed silver is very volatile, look like we are in the same boat ~! Long long journey to go..

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Im afraid so melbrad i hope its a manbag

8. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

Its a faux-gold mesh bag with massive f$%^-off holes in it. Doesnt hold a bloody thing... hang on... where's all my silver gone?

Yup, knew very well that silver was a tempetuous beast. Happy to ride her as long as she'll have me.

9. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

"Be fearfull when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearfull."

Everyone agrees with this, but very few put it into practice.

Fundamentals haven't changed, only sentiment. If it was lowering my average cost, I'd be buying for sure.

If we seen a 25% drop from $100 then I'd say you were left holding the bag. But from only the previous high of 30 years ago, I doubt it.

C

10. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

its a funny thing, when there is slight downward movement, or even sideways movement after a dip.... there isnt much purchasing happening.

As soon as silver starts to peak, its on like donkey kong. Dont quite understand this.

Im buying. It is going to increase my DCA, but thats silver.

11. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

You dont need to understand it, you just have to do the opposite.

It's a bit like those who are longing for a 50% drop in house prices. If that scenario was to eventuate, most would probably be too scared to buy.

C

12. bennybbc

bennybbc Member Silver Stacker

Great post, bang on the money. So many people "backing up the truck" if spot goes under $40, $38, $35.. Now were at $32 and I don't see to many trucks around.

13. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

hehe bennybbc - waiting for a Truck licence to arrive....

No...loaded up at $34 and again today....anyone who didn't is very cool customer when it comes to buying physical IMHO...hope your not burnt is due time....

14. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

my truck has lic. plates 30USD...

15. hennypenny

hennypenny New Member

<reality check>

It's too early to know who's holding what bag, but this is a gambling game against vastly bigger professional players with just two weaknesses -- the delusion that unregulated global capitalism is the end of history (so they didn't see the PM bull or GFC1 coming); and greed (so we can nimbly scramble for crumbs).

I might point out that the "true value" of silver is indicated by everything EXCEPT that freak speculative peak decades ago. Silver's "true value" is $5-10/oz, the rest is froth and bubbles for the gambling game.

Enjoy.

</reality check>

16. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Flaw to your logic is the "$", the true value of anything is not in a fiat currency buy how much of a commodity it can buy. i.e. oz of Ag buys ? Kg of rice etc. Even fiat currencies are should be measure that way 1USD buys ? KG rice. (Rice being not the best measure but 'A' measure)

True value is demonstrated in buying power and USD is loosing that faster the you can say QE...

17. pixha

pixha Member

18. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

I love to hold the bag you're holding! I fact I have a bag of my own. Here's an interesting little experiment tho.. see if anyone wants to sell their silver for less than $40 an ounce. Unless you are buying industrial bars, it's pretty hard to come by. All it has done is dried up all the investment silver reserves. It's hard to find much to 're-stock' and cost average your stack, so to speak.

Mantra - 'Spend cash on silver that you will not need for at least 12 months'.. its a bit longer than 'long term' 'long term' 'long term'.. but my long term varies from your long term.

Key is not to panic. You only lock in a loss if you sell. Think of it. Plastic is worth diddly in the long term. So if you are not stone broke aside from the silver you have, just be content using your wage and the saved fiat to spend on your bills etc and maybe put off the holiday. It's all transient. Don't get down when it's down and don't get excited when it's up. Just understand what you require and work towards that goal - but don't dwell on it.

PPSS

19. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

The true value of silver when it peaked in the 80's, was TRUE. It happened. It was a reality. Unfortunately, it's true value plummeted pretty quickly after. There is no fixed true value of anything. Whether you measure it in rice or concrete or gold or houses or whatever. If the world's rice crops suffer massive disease, than the gold to rice value will change significantly. Such is the same if, while the same 'rice famine of 2011' is occuring that geologists find that tasmania is actually a giant gold island under 100 feet of dirt. Everything is in CONSTANT flux.

The main idea to this gambling game is understand how stuff is valued, what makes it valuable and is it a better option logically to have 'x' item over 'y' item in terms of what is more likely to turn to dust in terms of value than the other. The other is TIME. Holding aussie dollars is fine, as long as you aren't planning to retire on them in 30 years. Silver and gold and palladium and other metals that are hard to find and mine etc are logically a better idea if you want value retained and possibly increase.

Whilever you hold a bag of <insert something of value here>, you will always have a bag of <insert something of value here>. Coffee and cocoa beans are not bad either, will eventually go off (unless freeze dried!). Precious metals are a decent option too.

I dunno.. does this make sense? It's just about logic and reasoning and understanding the crap that the people in power are doing with the 'currency' supply. Think a little bit long term, peeps!

PPSS