Is this The Bag?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MelbBrad, May 16, 2011.

1. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

This feeling I am experiencing... Is this the so-called 'Bag' to which everyone refers? Spot has dropped from nigh on $US50 to $US33... am I left holding the bag? Should I have gotten out with Stella, Contrarian and the few other smart ones?

2. millededge

millededge Active Member

are you scared?

3. Ernster

Ernster New Member

I think it hit all of us in the guts especially those that started stacking in 2010. We only experienced the good times with Silver staying steady and then rising...for it to crash big time.

Definitely had me scared and sick in the guts.

But I'm over it now. Whats done is done, seems to be holding in the $30's quite well.

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

If you are holding long-term, just ride it out. The fundamentals are strong, and silver is still in backwardation.

However, if silver was your Get Rich Quick scheme, yes, you are left holding the bag IMHO.

5. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Yes you should have got out, but you didn't so spilled milk. Don't worry, bulls in real life are very scary as well. Remember long term... repeat it long term.

6. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

ask that question again in 12 months and we'll probably know the answer. until then, try not to stress too much about things we can't control.

7. mintydent

mintydent Member

Yes, you're left holding your bag of silver. Now fill it to overflowing with some more silver.

8. plata

plata Member Silver Stacker

Well I started lst Feb. prices were as they are now. Holding the bag? my one is in the closet, getting a bigger one!! :)

9. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

I had a bag not long ago. it broke. I have a new bag now :)

10. RMP

RMP New Member

I wouldn't say I was left holding the bag.....I'd call it a yellow box.

11. Terry88

Terry88 Member

I started in late 2010 when prices were about $35. I was freaking out as it was zooming up to $50 and didn't think I can afford to buy anymore.

But, so glad it's gone back down and stabilized around $32. I can join back in the game and buy a new bigger bag :)

12. spclst69

spclst69 Member

My bag was in a fishing accident in the Indian Ocean. Now I'm starting a new bag.

13. Bulawan pilak

Bulawan pilak New Member

I was able to sell and make a small profit, last night I just brought back in. What I brought will now be medium to long term, 3 - 5 years.
    Read as much as you can on the web from experts and you will find a lot of Bullish opinions. At the end of the day, whether you think the POS will go parabolic or not, the
    trend is still going up and if you hold and wait the price will continue up again. If you look at SLV miners, they are acually looking at forecasts of 80% towards 2015.

14. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

Still in the black, but the bag does have a reddish tinge. The idea was always long term, but is this looking like a twenty year 'long term' or something else?
    The mood in here does seem darker, not as bouyant as a month or so ago.
    I never realised the psychology of silver would be so interesting.

15. Hawk

Hawk Member

Sure, there has been a drop.
    March this year I was paying $ 1200.00 for 1KG Suisse. It rocketed up to around $ 1500.00.
    Had I sold out then, Yes, I would have made a profit. However, if the Dip had not occurred, I would not have been able to buy back in as easily.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Now with Silver at around $ 32.00, I've just bought two more 1KG Suisse for a little over $ 1100.00 each. Plus, I've still got my original stash.
    Look on the bright side.

16. Turk

Turk Active Member

Good swooping Hawk!

As you say, the dip can ONLY hurt people who HAVE to sell a bit of their stack right now now.

The silver ride is FAR from over! It has barely begun!

I can understand that new stackers are still picking their jaws off the floor, but they need to understand that there are always two parts to these declines:

1. New stackers tell each other how shocked they are with the drop.

2. Silver leaps up again - and the same people kick themselves that they didn't buy more and average down while it was so incredibly cheap.

It's sad when people fail to quickly adjust to a new reality - and take advantage of the silver lining.

Buffett's words couldn't be more relevant than now : "When others are fearful - be greedy!"

That time is now.

17. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

i haven't read the replies but to be honest anyone paying more than $1000/kg (inc postage), was getting carried away. imho silver will consolidate for 12-18 months so if you can't wait it out.. best to sell out now...

18. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

yeah. for those that bought the spike in 2007, they prob didn't get carried away this time. they learnt their lesson last time. the silver market has a way of doing this to the punters..

imho there will be many more opportunities to sell the spike, and i predict most will sell too soon.

but the bag holders will only get one chance to buy, and they will buy the final spike. this was not the final spike.

19. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

I sold quite a bit of ag between 35-45 per oz. Was not expecting this dip so was very lucky to sell into strength.
    Still got a core stack which was purchased under 20 and will sell more of this around 60usd per oz.

20. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Well, my experience of the silver market was, when I bought it (for around $17) the market barely moved for a year and a half. Then you got the explosive growth that led to the parabola. My feeling is that the price is going to languish for a long time again. There's the old saying about "Sell in May and go away" and I think it's appropriate.

All the action is over for a couple of years in my opinion. I'll start looking at grabbing some more around August maybe but I'm not enthused about things atm. It looks to be like a prolonged sideways consolidation is approaching. Might be time to have a look around at other things.

One caveat, if it gets to the low 20's I will almost certainly be buying extensively again. But I'm not really expecting that. I think it will be stuck in the low 30's for quite some time.