ID Requirements for online purchasing???

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Yippe-Ki-Ya, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Hmm... lets not advertise it too much. We don't want certain players getting annoyed and others and more scrutiny in an already over-scrutinised (IMO) area :)

We should endeavour to keep our private transactions private.

2. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

The $5000 thing is a minimum above which some form of ID is required. As to accumulated transactions etc there are no written rules and it is up to each dealer to make a risk assessment as to whether they think the customer is money laundering or terror stuff. This is a judgement call.

In my opinion, if you are regularly buying under $5000 with a dollar cost averaging strategy, just putting some money from your pay into PMs then that shouldn't require ID at all no matter how often you do it.

If you came in every day buying $4990 worth of PMs then that may be enough for the dealer to say I need ID.

The level of ID required also is not fixed but there is a minimum standard. ID on a $5000 would not be same as that on a $1,000,000 deal being delivered to an address in Afganistan.

Bottom line is dealers have to be able to defend themselves in the situation where AUSTRAC audit their processes and say, "didn't you think there was something suspicious about the $1m deal and why didn't you do more due dilligence on the person involved".

3. Supe

Supe New Member

I've had to provide ID for my small initial order of 9oz (ordered 4 more oz today). I figure it's a one time deal but it is annoying. I'd hate to be doing that with any transaction with other vendors. Still the price was reasonable. Swings and roundabouts. I'll be keeping my eyes open for sales on SS though.

4. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

i was asked to provide ID and a name and address to buy a $3 used dvd copy of pulp fiction at cash converters.

5. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Why on earth would you be trying to fund terrorism and laundering money anyway?

Geez - a whole $3?! Ridiculous.

6. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

yeah they said it was some legal requirement of selling second hand goods so if they end up being stolen, they can track the goods down. I mean, it *WAS* the deluxe version of the dvd. probably worth maybe as much as 8 bucks. Definite target for crime.

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

That might be standard second hand dealer requirements by law - I'd need to look into it.

8. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I'm pretty sure that is required by law - doesn't mean it makes sense though.

9. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Whose law? Definately not common law...

Which means that it probably contradicts a whole number of privacy laws which means its probably unconstitutional anyway.

much like most other 'laws' used by the state to police people... 100% illegal but they dont care.

10. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The right of an aggrieved party to recover stolen property is actually pretty well established in common law.

11. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Long stretch...

12. shinythings

shinythings New Member

At the risk of repeating what has been said already , i have up until this point only dealt with the Perth Mint , and i have only been given an Austrac form for over $10.000 , the same total for travel declaration .
    Transactions over $5.000 are the same as banks etc , any money movement over that amount and ATO has to be notified .
    It was explained to me by a staff member at the mint , that everyone is entitled to a one off transaction of under $5.000 without ID requiremnet , but i think that is a business policy , not a law .

If silver is not a currency , am i right to presume that it is not required to list it as an asset when lodging your tax return ?

13. goldpelican

Wrong - ATO is not notified when over $5000, nor is AUSTRAC. AUSTRAC is not the ATO either.

14. shinythings

shinythings New Member

Banking computer systems automatically compile a data bank of all transactions over $ 5000 as a requirement of the ATO , i presumed a government backed mint would have to meet the same requirements , I cant speak for the private dealer .
    Austrac is a partner department to the ATO along with others , It not only detects major crime , terrorist funding , money laundering but also " tax evasion " and works closely with the tax department .

I hope that is helpful...

15. jparrie

jparrie Member

So you reckon someone can sue you for just printing their terms of trade? What's their loss? Nothing. So the threat is, as usual with most legal threats, meaningless and no court is going to award them a brass razzoo.

16. goldpelican

No, I don't reckon this is valid. However I have had multiple (documented) threats to be sued in the past, as have other members of the forum, for things as benign as that.

This forum has an auto word censor function and it is used. I've found the most effective course of action to prevent legal threats is simply censor the names of the dealers in question, and purge previous references to them from the forum. If they can't be referenced, the likelyhood of someone posting something considered by them to be defamatory is far far lower, which makes my life easier without the resulting legal threats.

Dealers need to learn how to work with social media, not just crack a wobbly and threaten to sue the administrator and poster whenever they see something posted they don't like - which for the most part is generally valid feedback from customers. If dealers can't work with the opportunity that presents, then it's their loss.

Unfortunately for the dealer, they subsequently lose any "word of mouth" references that might have otherwise arisen on the forum. As I said, dealers need to learn how to work with social media - not just try and silence it. Similarly, purchasing advertising on here does not come with bonus editorial rights over user posts, however a few dealers have expected that in the past.

For fairly obvious reasons, this is not a topic I like being discussed openly on the forum - invariably someone tries to get names out of me. I'll make one final statement on the matter though:

Discussion of your business on here is a privilege, not a right.

If you threaten to sue me, your business name will be added to the censorlist on Silver Stackers for your own protection to avoid further possible defamatory references.

Seeing as ID requirements is a hot button issue that has pissed off numerous dealers in the past, on those closing words, I think this topic has run it's course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.