Marking on New Bullion Question

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Adrian Lawrence, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Adrian Lawrence

Adrian Lawrence New Member

Hi,

I am brand new to buying silver and bought my first few ounces this week. One of my coins looks like it has a marking on it. Yesterday I thought it was moisture in the capsule (didn't really pay much attention to it), so I left it assume it would go. Today It does not look like moisture, instead it looks like it has started to disintegrate / rot.

I know it doesn't really do that, so I just wondered what this may be? So I try not to get this in my future coins.

I have not taken any out of casing except this one to see what the marking is today after noticing it. It feels like powder/dust and not smooth. I won't take it out the capsule again.

The marking can be found at the top of the coin where it says "NDS . E". Is it possible Moister caused this to rot?
    Thanks.
    20221110_160528.jpg

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Hello Adrian
    Welcome to SilverStackers

To answer to your question.

"Is it possible Moister caused this to rot?"

Silver like any others metal , won't rot but will tarnished.
    It looks like milk spot. This is caused by some chemical or residue left by the process from the mint during washed.
    Some coins are prong to this. i.e Maple , Britannia, some Perth Mint coins that have seen to have this.

Milk Spot By exposed to air or reacted to air depending on the humidity , this will fasten the chemical processes of oxidation eventually will eat the metal.

Worst thing is PVC this will caused the Silver to go green. Avoid contact with PVC materials.
    Some plastic slip are made from PVC. It have strong smell ; if burn the material it will have a strong smell like sulfur and black smoke.

3. Golden ChipMunk

4. Adrian Lawrence

Adrian Lawrence New Member

Thank you, I presume the default plastic cap it comes with (direct from bullion website) will be PVC free so i'll keep it in that and hope no more spreads.

5. Golden ChipMunk

Many capsules are PVC free. Made from PP plastics.

Once the coin have infected , it will still continuing the growth, if the air still get in.

You may need to clean the coin as it is only Bullion Britannia. Make sure you Do Not Wipe it down with any material ie cloth. This will scratch the coin lustre.

I do have a few coins that have milk spots growing on them, I will see the progress of the growth.
    It is a horrible thing to have.

Sometimes is better to buy bars instead.

6. SteelHand

SteelHand Well-Known Member Silver Stacker