The Elephant in the room.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by markcoinoz, Aug 9, 2022.

1. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The video below gives a brilliant insight into the strategic importance of Taiwan's Semi-Conductor Industry and the Global importance it has. Guy from "Coin Bureau" sets out to show a simulated War Game being played out with China - US - Taiwan. It embraces the Manufacturing - Geopolitical - Economic ramifications this entire industry has at a Global level.

Extremely insightful and well worth watching.
    Guy has also left links in the description that you may be interested in reading.

2. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Imagine imploding the foundries and sending us into the dark-ages overnight.
    I don't see China invading in my lifetime, but I didn't think Putin was that stupid either, so...

jultorsk, markcoinoz and sammysilver like this.
  3. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If the PRC did go the knuckle with Taiwan and destroy their semi-conductor manufacturing capacity, Tesla shares will be worth zero next day and my old Datsun 120Y (semi-conductor free motoring) may start to look like a valuable asset. :D

4. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Remember when my brother first bought the Datsun 180B in the 70's.
    It was great car. He had the Orange with the black vinyl roof.
    Then came the 180B SSS series. He couldn't afford one of them.
    I stuck with my Torana.

Oddjob likes this.
  5. Oddjob

You had me at Torana.......my first true love. :)

6. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My first car was a Chrysler Valiant, I bet some of you ankle biters on here never even heard of it;)

I was 15 years old and had been working hard at Gilbersons meatworks in Altona for about 6 months to save up for it.

I took the $1000 that I had saved up (my wage was $110 per week) to a car dealer on Geelong Rd West Footscray and bought my first wheels.

I had never driven a car before and I nearly sideswiped some cars as I figured out how to steer the darn thing on the drive home.

After that, I purchased an EH Holden which I thought was a piece of crap compared to the Valiant.
    Drove for 3 years without a license and never got caught

Those Were The Days My Friend......

markcoinoz, adze67 and raven like this.
  7. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pffftt...my first car was a VG Valiant VIP :D
    Leather seats and a 318ci Fireball V8 :cool:
    Burnt out 4 tires and blew the diff (outstanding brake burnouts with the Disc front and drum rear :p)
    One went for $38.5k on Shannons o_O sigh...

markcoinoz and hardyakkagold like this.
  8. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Its not a matter of if but when China takes Taiwan.
    And when it happens there isnt anything anyone can do to stop them.
    Maybe Brandon will put sanctions on them so we have nothing to import to the US haha.
    Sounds about right.

My first car was a 74 Dodge Charger and i worked hard with my dad and his crew mixing mortar and carrying brick and stone all summer for it. It was nice for only a short time as many 16 year olds could say and i sure had fun in that car. Went through alot of tires.

9. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Struth adze67, I think we had the same car!

Mine was also the VG VIP sedan with leather seats and a V8 engine and went like a rocket.

I ended up crashing it into a tree stump in the bush on one of my gold hunting adventures, so that was the end of the Valiant.

All I could afford to buy after that was an EH Holden which was a piece of slow old junk compared to the VG.

10. heartastack

China cuts its own jugular if it invades Taiwan (more reliant on Taiwan for the chip technology than any other country). The US is already trying to commission a replica chip foundry in the states to reduce the exposure risk, and it's proving to be mission-impossible level difficult. China is the real paper tiger in this game. It's a stalemate imo. All they will do is make life politically difficult and continue posturing with their useless missiles and shows of force. Pointing any missile at Taiwan is literally pointing it at themselves. They won't be able to walk into a chip factory and just run it, they are the most complicated systems humans have ever created. You'd have to assume at this point there would be a scorched-earth/poisoned well policy for each foundry and an evacuation plan for leading technicians.
    The best they can do is remain strategically positioned in the event of a world war they might have an opportunity to do something but not as things are right now.

markcoinoz likes this.
  11. heartastack

So does anybody have any business or family contacts in Taiwan? We have some partners there.. mostly just eye rolling at the mention of China. Most of the hysteria seems to be coming from countries like US/Aus?

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Krudd says the noise coming from the Ambassador in his recent press club talk is just the same noise they always make.

13. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I had a 1200 coupe. White.

14. MLP

MLP Active Member Silver Stacker

'78 XC GXL with a 351 & 4 speed. In once piece and I still got her.

markcoinoz likes this.
  15. precious roar

precious roar Active Member

My first was a 200B. Pretty shit car, tbh. 180B was supposed to be better.

Bought a '73 HQ Statesman Deville with our wedding money ($3500). Was our family car for over 15 years.

Oddjob and mmm....shiney! like this.
  16. Oddjob

Noice!

17. Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Talking about cars, mine was a drank-dishwashing-liquid-vomit yellow 1977 BMW 320 (long before the i variant came out).
    The 3-speed auto transmission was definitely stronger than it had any right to be, and the little beast often left drivers of newer, lighter cars rather unhappy with being left behind... It did go bang eventually though, and I wasn't supposed to be driving it on the road in the first place (being 14 and 15 years old), but that's one of the joys of living in a place where people never really did care.

18. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The missus is Taiwanese, my in-laws are no-nonsense boomer generation Taiwanese and they despise the current Taiwanese president.

All this bum chumming with the US is just poking the dragon and stirring the pot to cause trouble. Not to mention the exorbitant amounts of taxpayer money buying sub-grade weapons from the US.

My in-laws can see through all the BS from the Taiwan and US governments, unnecessarily provoking China and warmongering.

Nothing wrong with the status quo, Taiwan is pretty much independent anyway - they have their own currency, own parliament, own culture, own customs, own border control - heck mainlanders need a permit from China to go to Taiwan.

Taiwan has its own unofficial relations with other countries, unofficial only because the mainlanders are too precious and can't take it that other countries have relations with Taiwan.

Leave things as they are, at least it's kept the peace for this long. Everybody just sit down and shut up and mind their own business and things will be fine.

And...

On the topic of cars, my first car was a Toyota Celica ST from 1971, so many fond memories of this beauty, wish I still had it. Growing up meant selling it for a more sensible car :cool:
    [​IMG]