2020 Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

I have often thought we need something that only kills off dumb people and I thought covid was it through vaccidents.

JohnnyBravo300 and STKR like this.
  2. MLP

MLP Active Member Silver Stacker

Why? Australia produces more food than we need, why not sell the excess?

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  3. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All the above countries do too and still stopped exporting.Think of the future...It seems we sell more than the excess...why we have NZ avocados in the stores ? Where are the NQLD avos?The best I have ever tasted;)

4. MLP

I can't answer that, business reasons I guess. Much of the produce sold in supermarkets in FNQ has been to the Brisbane markets and back by the time you get it from a supermarket or cafe near where it was grown. The beef grown in Western QLD is sent to Townsville live and brought back in refrigerated trucks. This is all crazy but it happens. There are a lot of things we buy in Australia sourced form overseas which we could/do produce here. If we cut exports of food and farm produce many farmers would go broke, people would lose jobs and all over the economy would hurt.

How much wool can mmm....shiney! and his friends actually produce before the Australian market is saturated and they need to look overseas to sell it all?

While I agree with thinking to the future I don't believe in sending people today broke because of it. Food/wool/cotton/hemp/timber is a renewable resource and we can grow more of it. We need to start thinking of water supply, that's a big issue coming soon and it could cut down on our ability to produce food.

Real $ and dragafem like this.
  5. Ag bullet

After all the flooding we soon forget about the other half of the drought/flood cycle.

precious roar and MLP like this.
  6. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fertiliser is another one.

Real $ and MLP like this.
  7. MLP

Yep,
    But flooding kind of shows there is a lot of "wasted water" if you like. If dams could be constructed to trap all that water when it falls, it could be used later. I know there are environmental problems building dams, and they can cover up large areas of good farm land but there will be a lot of problems if we run out of water too. That is coming. The added bonus of really large dams is you can generate power with them too!

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Hedge rising fertiliser prices/shortages and the accompanying food price rises/shortages with Neurizer ASX:NRZ.

https://neurizer.com.au

precious roar and STKR like this.
  9. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Australian grown Hass in my local Woolies.

10. MLP

If they can find buckets of money to have a referendum on gay marriage and foreign aid etc, etc, why can they not build dams in our country? They could actually make money out of that in the long run.

11. Ag bullet

Emu Swamp dam near me has been approved and federal funding met. Been waiting for Qld state govt to do their bit for a few years now. But being Labor they won't do anything for the rural sector. Now we have federal Labor govt it will be mothballed.
    Likely to have to do new environmental impact statements if they ever do get on with it. Could have built it 3 times with the money already spent.​

jultorsk likes this.
  12. MLP

South Western USA is in big trouble at the minute with water supply. Yes they have had drought as such and yes they are wasteful, but if it wasn't for the foresight of people in the 1930-1950's building big dams on the Colorado river & tributaries (including the Hoover) where would they be now?

I know Australia is not the USA but look.... we will be facing the same problems soon.

13. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Only on a planet full of water could we make a water crisis and ive heard about this coming for 30 years or longer.

Sounds about as believable as the scamdemic to me but im sure somehow they can generate another crisis from it.

STKR likes this.
  14. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

what, like natural gas? :rolleyes:

Ag bullet and mmm....shiney! like this.
  15. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Seeing an article about the Turkish inflation and countless mainstream media articles about soaring food prices in Europe... perhaps the soaring prices and food crises across the world are about far more than just the Russia-Ukraine war.

- the Turkish inflation, the Lebanese inflation might have a lot to do with what is going on in Europe and the US (and the poorer countries of the world)
    - supply chain disruption (which was already happening since the pandemic had started), airlines and airports not having enough personnel
    - the overall devaluation of currency due to so much money-printing: the US printed more money during the pandemic ("under the radar") than ever before during its entire history (according to news gossip)
    - overall lower industrial production in the entire world (which spiraled out of control)
    - the west seized the Russian bank accounts, so now the Ruskies can't even pay (of course, they don't even want) the debt which they borrowed from the US (think of all those bonds etc.)
    - now, as economists have warned all that surplus printed USD and EUR that had no backing is "coming home" to where is was made (many more countries bypassing the dollar, as the Russians are now selling their oil in roubles)

Poor man's hope was crypto. Smart man's hope was gold and silver. But now they're all going down. Perhaps temporarily.

What the hell can you do to preserve wealth? Buy land?

Suppose you have 10 k in USD/EUR. That's not enough to buy a shack. So, what can you do?

Michael Kay and JohnnyBravo300 like this.
  16. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This land i bought for 70k in 2018.
    Back in 1994 the seller paid 100k for it.

Every situation can be so different there is no rule and land is not always an asset. Timing is probably the most important and sometimes youre better off sitting in some cash and be patient for the fire sales.

Ive already changed my budget and strategy 3 times this year haha.

17. precious roar

precious roar Active Member

Yep, timing is everything.

18. Michael Kay

Michael Kay Active Member

I don't believe anything MSM is telling us. They would lead you to believe it's all lack of supply and there is no demand.

How do you preserve wealth? We are entering a bear market... so interesting times. You wouldn't want to be highly leveraged, that's for sure.

19. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

think of it as an opportunity, you buy from the forced sellers and hold until the market recovers.

spannermonkey likes this.
  20. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    Shut up you :p
    No need to tell the world :D

Hickson, TreasureHunter and dozerz like this.