Monitoring the Crypto Bubble

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by Bullion Baron, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
?

Where do you think we are in the crypto bubble?

1. Very early (years left to run)

21.1%
  2. Around the middle (could still run for months or a year)

38.0%
  3. Very late (could end within days/weeks)

23.9%
  4. It's not a bubble

16.9%
  1. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I said "continued to perform". If Gold were to see 1000% gains and continue to see gains, the perception would change.

Lol. I don't think you understand. An asset with absolutely terrible fundamentals can still see massive gains from market psychology alone. Emotions are a huge driving force behind price action. I've mentioned to you before that you've mainly made a case for DLT and Blockchain, of which I don't disagree. Bitcoin is a Brand. What properties does it posses that cannot be matched or superceded by another? You'll find that all that is left beyond the underlying technology is a brand. One that is used primarily as a vessel for speculative investment. That is its primary role today - to produce income from investment.

Shiney, you know how this works. People will invest into something and then use every reason they can muster to justifying their position. Ultimately, all they want is their decision to be validated with Capital gains.

The market is heavily saturated with participants looking for that very thing. Even the diehard fans and fundamentalists will check the price and/or their portfolios more than twice a day.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Maybe, I can't see that happening though but I have to acknowledge that the possibility of capital gain is always something we look for when investing. In cryptos case there are opportunities to make 1000%+ gains, less so in BTC and Eth but they both form the largest part of my portfolio, despite the fact that other projects offer the opportunity for larger capital gain. The reason I am more heavily invested in BTC and Eth is because of the various other qualities assigned to both of those projects.

I've already explained that. It is the most secure and most decentralised blockchain. Nothing else at this stage can match it or supersede it, so what developers are doing is instead of trying to develop a new blockchain that is even more secure or more decentralised than BTC, they are creating solutions to add to or on top of the BTC blockchains to make it function even faster or to give it even greater utility eg smart contracts.

I'll ask my question again, what evidence do you need that would change your mind and show you that individuals invest in BTC for more than just capital gain?

3. STKR

The majority of market participants utilising it for it's intended purpose, rather than it being a used to wager bets and gamble with. That would be a start.

4. mmm....shiney!

There are a variety of uses for BTC, but I'll assume that you prioritise as a means to send/receive payment and that such a use precludes any other quality users assign to BTC when it comes to determining whether it is simple a vehicle of speculation or not?

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  5. mmm....shiney!

6. STKR

It doesn't matter what uses there are for Bitcoin when the main utility is speculation. That's what's been the driving force behind the bubble inflation. That's where the threat comes from.

7. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  8. mmm....shiney!

Good, I'm just making sure we agree that BTC has uses beyond its capacity to provide a capital gain.

And yes I would concede that capital gain is probably at the top of the list nowadays when it comes to why people invest in BTC. In that regard it's no different to any other asset, with probably the exception of home ownership and investing in dividend stocks. But it does matter what use cases there are for BTC beyond speculation as an investment vehicle, because it's those use cases we value that will contribute to its longevity.

Interestingly that's not what got me involved in it. Back when I first started buying it multiple returns wasn't even really a thing on buyer's radars, it was the concept of financial freedom without a centralised authority that attracted me. And that's still there and shared by many in the market. And that's why I voted that we're not in a bubble all those years ago.

And if I voted again, I'd vote the same way. It's not a bubble, it's a new way of utilising scarce resources in meeting our needs. And that's the economic attraction that cryptos offer that can't be met in any other way.

9. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You are right there shiney old boy, BTC has uses beyond its previous capacity to provide a capital gain.

It now has the capacity to provide a capital loss, as those late on the Crypto Ponzi Express train are finding out.:p

And the shitshow in the world economic system is only just starting;)

tdtwedt likes this.
  10. mmm....shiney!

@hardyakkagold and your sidekick @tdtwedt thanks for your input, at least you are showing an understanding that individuals invest in BTC and the wider crypto environment because of the value that it can bring to society beyond that of just a vehicle for capital gain. I'm hoping we can move beyond the "BTC is just a speculative play" mantra now.

I just want to point out one thing, that is the difference between a fraudulent investment scheme that rewards earlier investors with profits paid for by those investing later (a Ponzi) and say those investments or assets experiencing a network effect such as BTC is, or those experiencing substantial rises in prices due to supply/demand issues such as home lending. Lyn Alden goes in to the network effect around BTC in more detail here: https://www.lynalden.com/bitcoins-network-effect/

The term "Ponzi" is thrown around indiscriminately all too often. In order for a Ponzi to exist, the early investors must be directly profiting from later investors ie receiving some form of income paid to them out of the funds of those arriving at the party later. That doesn't happen with BTC.

If you believe that then it could be time to alot a portion of your wealth into BTC and other peer-peer open network solutions.

On another note, a company that Alden mentions in her article above is https://blockstream.com/satellite/ . They've got a few projects on the move including a satellite that in their own words:

Exciting times for us all.

markcoinoz and neonuke like this.
  11. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's where im at too and wouldnt mind dropping 5 or 10k at some point for the long term.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  12. mmm....shiney!

Back in the pre-dawn of the crypto world it was all transactions. Here's a few extracts from the online exchange between Laszlo Hanyecz who wanted to trade 10 000BTC for 2 large pizzas and a few of the other participants. The first is Laszlo's opening post from May 18, 2010.

13. mmm....shiney!

Then come the conversations, I've just taken the more interesting comments from the thread:

snip

14. mmm....shiney!

15. mmm....shiney!

Then finally:

The full thread can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0

16. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Ohh! Lot out of Topics???
    Now...
    Monitoring the Crypto Bubble

or Pizza Talk???

One Supreme please...with Extra Cheese

66rounds and sammysilver like this.
  17. mmm....shiney!

18. mmm....shiney!