The myth of "To Da Moon"

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shaddam IV, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I believe that it is a fantasy that one day silver (and gold) will take off and go to hundreds of dollars an ounce in silver's case and tens of thousands (for gold). They have certainly been a worthwhile investment now and then, including the last couple of years. If you bought at the right time you will have seen reasonable gains.

But this idea of a sudden surge in public interest in precious metals and a flood into the market by Joe Meatball and Suzy Creamcheese will probably never happen, metals are just not in the public psyche.

There are certain situations where gold and silver are desirable - The main one being a local hyper-inflationary event and of course a local currency crash where fiat saving and purchasing power evaporates. Both of these situations are usually temporary.

Basically I can't see myself being happy about a metals "To Da Moon" event because it is likely that such an event would be something that I would not want to live through. Perhaps (and it's a very very slim chance) that a major power introduces a gold backed currency but I would not like to bet on that one.

wrcmad, heartastack, Oddjob and 2 others like this.
  2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It will
    1 day
    And
    Anybody who throws a price & a date out .
    =Malaka
    Frgn experts o_O
    Still waiting on next weeks lotto numbers from the experts :confused:

Oddjob, Real $ and Shaddam IV like this.
  3. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If it does happen, pricing it in dollars will be useless. It’s more about when will gold and silver return to a price that reflects its relation to other assets, such as real estate and land etc.

I do see a situation where metals will undergo repricing to benefit holders in the future. Until then it serves as a useful hedge against fiat devaluation and a store of wealth out of the system.

heartastack and Shaddam IV like this.
  4. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So Sadam, do you believe that the current corrupt and manipulated banksters' financial system is preferable to an honest monetary one?

It is not a myth that gold should be over $20k and silver should be over $2k dollars per ounce mark, and it would be without the paper derivatives and manipulation distorting the true price of precious metals.

It is scientific fact, go and have a look at the US Debt Clock for accurate precious metals to dollars ratio and the ever-increasing currency creation out of thin air going on everywhere 24/7.

I would be most depressed and miserable if I thought the current criminal financial system would last forever, but many here are in their comfort zone in it as long as their shares, cryptos, and real estate are appreciating in value because of it.

And the funny thing about myths is that most are based on long-forgotten truths, such as the ancient continent of Atlantis and the Giants and Titans, which the plantation owners don't want the peasants to know about.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    adze67, Real $ and madaw1 like this.
  5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Civilization have used gold and silver as money since the dawn of Civilization and more often than any other standard of money.

All Civilization that ever used gold or silver as money have pershised.

Shaddam IV and 66rounds like this.
  6. Real $

Real $ Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm undoubtedly an amateur on this subject but have to agree the debt clocks reality is right there in the face of anyone who cares to look. There'll never be a return to the gold standard of 71 there's been way to much money printed with such little accountability this has allowed the gap between the have's and have nots to grow exponentially, the system ensures control and return or at least proper allocation of metals to it's real value would put power into the hands of those who hold it and not the ones you supposedly govern us. While I def believe in metals and their fundamentals I see people posting in other areas about betting there house and going all in especially on silver...all these youtubers promising to the moon. It has so many uses and no metal can replicate it's capabilities which is why imo it'll be kept low. But I def have much to learn, this community and it's experience,information and opinions are appreciated

adze67, EchoAndOunce and Shaddam IV like this.
  7. EchoAndOunce

EchoAndOunce Member

I agree with what you said that you don't want to live through the event of extreme rise in value all of a sudden, it would be rather nerve wrecking for everyone.
    If it keeps rising slightly over the next years and decades that would be fine with me, as long as the grubberment is not going to able to freeze my assets if they want to I consider it as a big win.

Real $, Shaddam IV and 66rounds like this.
  8. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I recently said anyone buying gold and silver for ten years SHOULD not be buying today!

Buying today to hold for 10 or 20 years is just averaging the cost per ounce up!

Take everything out of the equation, like inflation and monetary policy etc.

Say on the news of Ukraine and Russian War, silvers shots up to $50 USD

If you are just holding and will not be selling for 10 to 20 years (nothing wrong with this strategy, if it suits the risk averse person)

1. You think this war will end in a truce or victory in months or a year.... After that silver will be back to $25. Than why would you BUY at $50 today!

2, If you think 99% this will lead to Nuclear war heards over Russia, EU, USA, China, USA and Australia and prolonged Mad Max era is upon us, than yes buy all the silver or gold.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  9. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good 100 page thread potential this one :D

Real $, Shaddam IV and jultorsk like this.
  10. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Allow me to give a brief bit of a history lesson for you, IpvReady.

All Civilizations that ever used gold and silver as money have perished not because of that fact, but because they debased their precious metals currencies
    with base metals and started practicing perverted sexual practices as normal everyday behavior!

That is why Western Civilization is doomed to follow in the Greek and Roman example.

adze67 and Ag bullet like this.
  11. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Theres not enough metals for the public to get in anyway.
    Any public surge would only last about 10 minutes and everything would be out of stock.
    Its just an old relic tho and no one wants it.

Real $ and Shaddam IV like this.
  12. whay

whay Well-Known Member

The other myth that should have being busted is the GS ratio.

Real $, JohnnyBravo300 and Shaddam IV like this.
  13. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The moon signal for me is when there is virtually no premium difference between bullion and proof and when people are once again convinced that toning is beautiful and special and it’s the last chance to offload the shittiest and rustiest of your stack. That’s peak crazy.

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Or when you see the Bahama silver coin proof sets pulling crazy premiums over spot as a silver investment...

15. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Physical pm possess other benefits than stocks and paper can't provide. I get great satisfaction just thinking about my silver stack bought mostly in 2018-2019.

Real $ and Shaddam IV like this.
  16. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

"To Da Moon" is invented by people that sell at km 30 of the 300000.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  17. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

This^^. you beat me to it Hardyakka. currency debasement!

18. Shaddam IV

I certainly believe that any sensible person should have a position in PMs, particularly now. I guess I am lamenting that the public are more interested in far more speculative "assets" that are more flashy and which offer the "promise" of instant wealth gains like NFTs and pie-in-the-sky startups and IPO's that are more or less based around fleecing young hipsters. Crypto is an interesting one, it seems like something that by its very nature must have a solid future but it is still early days and is facing interesting responses from the government and banking interests that it threatens.

Are PMs still worth investing in? Absolutely. But go into it with a rational plan and particularly with the intention of slow but steady gains and a concrete plan for buying and selling to maximise those gains.

Darwin and Real $ like this.
  19. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like my toned silver but i dont think the gs ratio is a myth. Its a real measurement.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. Shaddam IV

No. Of course not. But I believe that the the population in general are more fascinated by shiny objects that promise huge profits like NFTs and buying shares in vanity startups. (Or piling into the Chinese property market). At a time when people are in a state of social media overwhelm, when they look to online "influencers" to learn how to run their lives I have to doubt that the public are likely to pile into metals before they pile into far more speculative shiny things.

Of course Honest Money is preferable. But to achieve that you first have to have a population that is sane enough to demand and implement it. I doubt that it is something that the TikTok generation cares about.

jultorsk, adze67, Real $ and 2 others like this.