2020 Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think this chart needs another category in the legend for 'Conflicted / Hypocritical"...to cover those EU members (an maybe other non EU nations) that decry the actions of Russia, will send aid to the Ukraine, apply sanctions stopping short of banning oil and gas imports from Russia or in the case of France, leaving it up to the individual company to decide if they will still trade with Russia / Russian companies.

heartastack likes this.
  2. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I deleted my previous reply along the same lines when I saw the date the map was created. These kinds of maps could need daily refreshing soon. Mexico for example is not a NATO member, is not sanctioning Russia, and is not assisting Ukraine.

TreasureHunter and Oddjob like this.
  3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

No.

Gold is held on the balance sheets of CBs to limit the impact of currency fluctuations on the domestic financial system. That's failed. It is also held by some governments to facilitate confidence, chiefly those nations that don't have a strong financial and banking system nor a transparent legal system. They have a larger gold reserve than Western nations because the Russian economy is not as stable and lacks legal certainty.

I won't even bother with your Fed comment.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  4. heartastack

Glad you covered the gold because I thought the GDP and poverty rate looked awful tbh...

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  5. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fair enough mate. Wasn't having a dig at you nor the post. ;)

heartastack likes this.
  6. heartastack

Wasn't thinking that anyway man, just echoing your thoughts! your post was better suited than mine :)

Oddjob likes this.
  7. Golden Stash

Golden Stash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Compromise ???
    Is Putin going to back down ?

With regard to Cuban missile crisis, this is what the West called it but in actual fact it was the Turkey missile crisis as it was the Yanks putting missiles in Turkey with the Russians responding with missiles in Cuba.

Wise heads prevailed but only after the Russians allowed the removal of the Cuban missiles first and the Yanks would follow suit after that with no mention to be made of the Turkey missiles removal to allow Kennedy to save face , the Russians allowed him to look the winner in the eyes of the world. Do we have a pragmatism like that now?

Now is Putin going to pull back to the Far East of the Ukraine or even all the way to Russia? Nyet!!!
    Is Putin going to make any kind of concessions?? Nyet!!

Compromise take two parties to be at the table , not happening.

8. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

I think, more than half of the map is made-up. African nations will never protest against fake news :D
    To me it seemed like China was actually supporting Russia. Multiple declarations of Xi were in support of Russia, speaking against the sanctions etc. They were never neutral.

Kazakhstan is also not neutral, but might not have been very explicit either. They are allies of Russia.

Serbia also behaved like against the sanctions, did not condemn the invasion. So, doesn't that mean that they support Russia?

9. TreasureHunter

Compromise, yes. Wise diplomats are required.
    Yes, they could convince him to "hold his horses". Sanctions are not going to stop the Russians, they are already prepared for all the sanctions that the west can invent.

Compromise and dialogue is needed. Even the Cold War was filled with dangerous situations like this, but at least there was more dialogue back than. It can save lives.

Otherwise Europe is going to lose. Russia is teaming up with China, India, Pakistan... yes, India and Pakistan are both growing closer to Russia.
    Russia is going to deliver grains, oil, gas to China (heard about new deals) and will use the Chinese transaction system. They couldn't care less about Swift.

10. Golden Stash

Golden Stash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree compromise is needed to restore peace but it is so naive if you think that is going to happen.
    The end of this game requires the keys to Ukraine are handed over to Russia. No wriggle room for compromise in that.

Ukraine can save lives by surrendering , thats about the best they can do at this point unless the West get involved.
    Russia know they have the West bluffed with the threat of Nukes so why would they compromise.

11. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Putin has been preparing for this a long time and has everyone under foot i think.
    Now that the west relies on "the evil enemy" they dump the vodka but that wont keep them warm next winter or keep their cars running.
    This world has gone nuts haha. There will be good lessons from this one just watch.
    When you have the gold and oil you do what you want and he knows that.

Real $, adze67 and TreasureHunter like this.
  12. TreasureHunter

It is not going to happen. Putin is like a rabid dog now. But the west has a role in this with the pressuring, threatening and flying jets close to Russia's shores.

Dialogue can help, I am not saying the Europe should "give in".

This is a European problem, so Europe should find a solution, especially the eastern countries are affected. So, why is the US-France-UK stirring the cr*p?

For example, the could offer to lift certain sanctions (but not all) only if Russia withdraws and guarantees security and etc. etc.
    The UN could send humanitarian aid and peacekeeping troops into Ukraine, if Russia withdraws.

I am amazed how numb the UN is. It's as if NATO would be the "international voice of humanity". Shouldn't the UN be more involved?

When I mean dialogue, I don't mean put our hands in the air and tell Putin: "OK, we surrender".

This entire situation has gone so bad, but it could have been avoided 8 years ago. If the Europe would have been smarter.
    Even today, many more abuses and tragedies could be avoided. Brains are needed. Sanctions and weapons only escalate the situation.

13. TreasureHunter

Again, even in this you can see:
    1. the weakness of "the West" (which is in decline): happened in Syria, Afghanistan... they are losing again, even if the Russians get blown up
    2. the multipolar world: China doesn't give a crap (they just made a deal for importing grains from Russia), Turkey has a voice like never before and Russia is already "in action" (such a huge war was never seen in Europe since WW 2), EU-US tandem is weaker than 20 years ago (faint voice and weak politicians)
    3. Putin has no equivalent: perhaps Eisenhower, Kennedy or Nixon would have done the job... but with senile Biden and Kamala c*nt, they are no match... oh, could Trump have faced Putin?
    4. Europe is resource poor: before EU politicians speak, they should check where their oil, gas and metals come from
    5. sadly, this is a precedent: could Taiwan be next? if a big fish decides to swallow a small fish, the US-Europe won't even have the guts to step in

The world has gone mad and what is worrying is that others might act like Russia. Make your guesses.

What's lucky for the US is that this time the dollar was saved. The bigger the trouble in Russia and Europe, the more the US economy gains: military-industrial complex, petrodollar system, the dollar as a safe-haven (now people are running to buy dollars, Swiss francs and gold all over Europe).

14. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

New estimate for oil $220 USD a barrel if pseudo sanctions come into play.

British Ports not accepting "legal" Russian oil due to dock workers refusal to unload Blood Oil.

If China withdraws from Russian Oil becuase of fear of been cut off from banking.

(REUTERS, BLOOMBERG) - Bank of China's Singapore operation has stopped financing deals involving Russian oil and Russian companies

Chinese Development Bank and ICBC already withrawing from Russian Coal purchases

Note: days are numbered in the next few years US will pressure Australia to stop selling raw materials to China.

On the flip side if I was running a oil major or junior, I wouldnt be expanding rigs for more Oil in 6 to 9 months. Not because of any ulterior motives but if/when Ukraine becomes part of Russia and sanctions lift, Oil is $80 a barrel split second later.

15. TreasureHunter

This violent charlatan popped up in YouTube again - predicts a "black swan event".
    Nothing extraordinary new, nor any special revelation in his speech, only his long self-referential intros and a few point made.

This guy is a perpetual self-referential who speaks about himself all the time. Pretender? There's very little information about who he really is, but I sometimes do listen to his videos out of curiosity.

Keeps screaming, but he makes a single interesting point: too many assets are being managed by 20-30 yr olds with little experience and/or knowledge.
    A large part of the financial bubble is a poker card castle built by green eared semi-teenagers.
    This is about to implode...

By the way, the video has nothing to do with Putin/Ukraine war, nor does this guy anything of high value, just another "truth slayer" who is living out of his own fake-built image.

...and has an annoying voice... but for some weird reason, the internet is full with him. I bet he made 90% of his fortune from this "theatre show".

Correct me, if I'm wrong...

16. heartastack

He's got one thing going for him - of the thousands of internet crackpots and idiots you've selected him to maintain a platform and get further exposure. Even Kiyosaki is more palatable and I can't get through a single video of his anymore either.

17. TreasureHunter

:D I actually bought some of Kiyosaki's books. Most of them are mere filler, but he does make strong points and is quite an original guy.

Becomes boring after reading 1 book and watching 3 interviews. Now I never click on anything with his frog face. He overdid everything.

Meanwhile gold hit 1,997.49 $, then took a tiny dip. Sounds like a typical "discount" price tag.

Dealers are claim that they have no gold bullion available, refineries, mints are out of gold. But I think many are sitting on the bullion in order to sell them later on (make 20-25 % more).

I think the next big buy will be in cryptos. But when they go very low, the sentiment will be so low, that almost no-one will want to buy.

Pick a good buy, put a few hundred bucks in it and you might become rich 5-10 years from now.

18. heartastack

Yep, I'm in a few goldies that are clearly in an accumulation pattern currently. When you see 10 baggers and look retrospectively at the charts thinking "how could I miss that no-brainer accumulation phase loading up cheap?". Well I'm pretty confident I'm in a few now but all you hear is doom and trolling from impatient holders. It becomes obvious why most people can only handle chasing the bull in its last stages. There is no daily rush, no glory like the end of a bull market. It's hard work containing emotions and putting up with boredom and paper-losses exacerbated by manipulators and accumulators trying to inject fear and wear people out.

TreasureHunter likes this.
  19. TreasureHunter

2.5 currencies are destroyed and on the road to "toilet paper" money:

1. Turkish Lira... way down on the road...
    2. Russian Rouble... goin' down the drain accelerated, like a pile of rubble!
    3. The Euro... I always thought the Euro is the most fake currency (the only currency that's non-national, it's a bit like an "Amero" or an "Asiano")... going down the drain

20. solved

solved Member

Source: https://twitter.com/FranceRsistanc1/status/1499342178165968896

Video Translation: VAT on precious metals for citizens from March 1, the relevant bill is planned by the State Duma already when purchasing a gold bullion in a bank, it will not be necessary to pay a value added tax of 20%, as it is now provided for by current legislation, such investments can be a good alternative to buying foreign currency.

Twitter Translation: Russia returns to the gold standard - The government will abolish VAT (tax) on bullion. This bill will be submitted to the State Duma on March 4.

Any other translations most welcome

goldpelican and GoldenEye like this.