Coin storage solutions

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by dollars, Jan 5, 2022.

1. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi Stackers members

I have been considering storage solutions for coins and have been looking at some of the offerings on aliexpress and more recently alibaba.

Looking at capsules, slabs, boxes and tubes . I presume some of the items ore rubbish however some seem at first glance have some merit

For example slabs for sale here for $4 can be purchased for under $0.50 if the order is >1000 units. Similar with capsules tubes boxes etc. also intending to pick up a couple of the more accurate digital scales.

Has any other members purchased in this manner ? Suggest any products that might suit Or possibility offer any opinions positive or negative.

Cheer$

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  2. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ammo cans work great and you can add silica packs. They are sealed and durable and stackable and can be buried although id add a few additional layers of plastic and duct tape for safety.
    The 50 Caliber US size or comparable can hold around 500 or 600 oz of bullion each. They are good storage for bullion imo and handles the weight easily.

Acorn and dollars like this.
  3. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

Although more of a stacker at heart but some coins probably warrant better attention some of the better predecimal coins, crowns, florins, some pennies and half pennies out of a recent purchase outside of the forum including 1946 and a few others that aren’t too bad, eight reales, the best round fifties etc
    Also some tubes, capsules and boxes to hold the capsules.

Everything is a bit haphazard at the moment. Hoping to bring some order to the chaos !

I am yet to find any reliable source of ammo boxes Completely different culture in Australia compared to America regarding anything related to rifles guns etc. I wouldn’t collect the bullion silver ammo replica sometimes available for this reason.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  4. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You may have this video and method.....the method is rudimentary but a worked a treat. A cheap mass stack.

I've have no issues tubing, then boxing this way for long term storage...even above ground. :). Note: I did buy some of these ASE's and can vouch the quality that came out of the box.

Nugget, JohnnyBravo300 and dollars like this.
  5. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have so many tubes ive been given during purchases that i also have a stack of plastic haha. Ive never had to buy those before.
    Plus most buys already come in something like that, a plastic capsule or something similar.
    I figured you got those when you made a buy.

dollars likes this.
  6. Silvesta

Silvesta New Member

I was storing some pre dec silver coin in pvc pipe, but I heard that the pvc can taint the silver. Does anyone know about this?

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PVC softener used in the old coin pages can degrade and produce an acid which will damage the surface of coins. You can still buy PVC coin pages for some reason, I guess they are cheap but you should avoid any pages that smell of PVC. PVC pipes are hard and do not have the softener added. They should be ok. They do degrade in UV light but only on the outside.

How did the pre dec look after being stored in the pipe?

dollars likes this.
  8. Silvesta

Silvesta New Member

They weren't in there for long enough. I wasn't convinced as it did seem a good option but abundant caution made me relocate, so never got to see.

Jislizard likes this.