Brisbane Stackers

Discussion in 'Meetings & Events' started by Silvesta, Jan 31, 2022.

1. SEQ

SEQ Member

yes, I forgot of other followers, thanks. I'd actually prefer a park w/ toilets and tables w/roofs on a moderately wet day I'd tarp off a table or 2 and the only people in the park would probably be us. My personal reasoning includes: i don't eat lunch and try to avoid pubs (ex-alchy).

Heres where we need that cat lady.

I'd actually be OK w/ my place as I'm in a unit, the other units have 'useful' people who are likely to be home and awake almost 24hrs a day. a breakin would be difficult here. (I'm in a small 1 bed *very small lounge OK for 2-3, 4 people max). If at my place I'd ask everyone to respond by PM and I'll give you my ph number so you can call me for the address. Doing that reduces my risk and as far as anyone else goes, it should help reduce yours. theres enough parking here for 5 extra cars

So, I'm for a park, but will go with pub If needed. I propose a vote (order of preference) mine is

park, my place, cafe, pub

2. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Look, while your energy and enthusiasm are highly admirable, please please please do not let anyone know where you live and sleep. Use a PO Box or a Parcel Locker (or f2f well away from your private residence, in a public and safe place) for any trades. Bad things have happened here before. We can only do our best to be cautious, and hope by being vigilant with security they will not happen any time soon again.

The upstairs of Lord Stanley is not like a pub, it is more sort of a function room with a very large meeting table and seats around it - suitable for 'social distancing' if anyone worries about that sort of thing. The location is very convenient (central) and with ample free parking.

Other place I could think of could be public libraries, some of them have meeting/hobby rooms that can be booked ahead for private meetings by various groups/clubs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Jonesy67 and GF like this.
  3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I get all my silver delivered to my workplace, never get anything delivered to my home address but the number of packages of silver I get from members get with a return address on the back is worrying.

We have had about 3-4 Brisbane members on this site fall victim to break-ins, not necessarily related to the forum as people move in many circles but it is a concern.

Upstairs in the Lord Stanley does not have a working bar and not all the members are drinkers.

4. SEQ

SEQ Member

There are as many good reasons for there as anywhere, so lets stick with that (if there are no further objections).

I'll attend and lets get an idea of numbers in case a booking may be required. I don't have the budget for bookings (I'm a faily small fish in the pond). Others are suggesting weekend days, I'm good either day, any suggestions to day, time and duration?

If someone wants to organise something further like asking Imperial or informing other brisbane stackers, please say so as I'm only throwing out suggestions to plan it as a group. I certainly can't run it as I can only attend the first 1 or 2 (I have to leave in a few months, I'm keen enough to travel an hour or 2 once a month to attend after that, if it's going ok).

5. Silvesta

Silvesta New Member

Well if the Lord Stanley's done the job in the past, why change. I don't drink alcohol either. I probably won't get to many meets, so monthly is not an option for me. I am keen to meet some Brisbane stackers and have a chat, hopefully there'll be a decent turnout. Saturday middayish is usually good for me.

Horrie likes this.
  6. Bayside Bullion

Bayside Bullion Active Member

More than happy to allow the use of our air-conditioned showroom floor for meets, also has open plan kitchen, bar room and meeting room. However would be limited to only 7 people at once with the Covid restrictions as it's not a huge amount of space.

Location (Victoria Point) could also be a bit far for people coming from the Northside. Alternatively would be keen to meet up with everyone at the next meet, wherever the location.

jultorsk and PMCollector like this.
  7. SEQ

SEQ Member

that's another good idea, what does everyone think, or is lord Stanley still the most desired?
    also, shall we start to work on a date? We still have what seems to be an even balance between sat/sun and hows the 1st weekend of next month? (5th/6th)

8. Bayside Bullion

Bayside Bullion Active Member

Good for either the 5th or the 6th, also fine with either location, what ever everyone prefers.

9. jultorsk

I'm good for either date / either location. :cool:

10. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Someone will have to make a call re: location. :p

Who is going to put their hand up to make that call?

11. jultorsk

Expecting our more seasoned stackers @Jislizard and @Jonesy67 to weigh in... :D

GF and mmm....shiney! like this.
  12. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi all
    Would love to come over again and attend another meeting to catch up with the regulars as it seems a life time since I was last there ( 3 years )

We are well overdue for a stackers meet

Only problem is Jacinda required that we have to 7 day home isolate on our return to NZ
    Hopefully the restriction will be lifted soon

is it worth extending an invitation to Michael from Billionnow to attend

jultorsk likes this.
  13. Andrew Crawford

Andrew Crawford Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am keen to be part of a local meet up- did any dates get locked in at this time?

14. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Social distancing requirements are changing so we might be able to get more than 7 people at a time, not that that would be an issue considering the turn out last time but it would be nice to see a few more.

I am up on the Northside but I have to get into the car anyway so Victoria Point is not a problem. Lord Stanley is nice but I could skip the expensive cider and have a cup of tea instead.

jultorsk likes this.
  15. Silvesta

Silvesta New Member

Vic Point is my preferred, particularly now covid restrictions have eased and seems to be quite a bit of interest to attend. Saturdays suit me best as I have soccer on Sundays. Lord Stanley is OK too if consensus goes that direction.

16. Moonyea

Moonyea Active Member Silver Stacker

Do you think there will be a brisbane meet anytime soon? Would be keen to attend.

GF, Horrie and jultorsk like this.
  17. jultorsk

Well dear friends and fellow stackers, it's soon time for me to bid farewell to lovely Brissy - I'm moving overseas indefinitely.

So, I'm humbly suggesting an informal local stackers' get-together at Breakfast Creek Hotel on Saturday 2nd July, say at 2pm (just coz easy to remember).
    Any other location suggestions more than welcome, too.

No definite programme or agenda, just a chat and a quiet brew, soda or coffee - of course if anyone wishes to bring goods to trade it's always a bonus!

Enjoy the weekend ahead y'all! :cool:

18. Horrie

Horrie Well-Known Member

Oh man, that’s a weekend I’m away. Best of luck in you move mate. Sorry I can’t make this catch up.
    Horrie

jultorsk likes this.
  19. jultorsk

Thank you for the kind wishes @Horrie, much appreciated! :)

Jonesy67 and Horrie like this.
  20. Jonesy67

Jonesy67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im in, will be great to catch up before you go abroad. :)

PMCollector and jultorsk like this.