Brisbane Stackers

Discussion in 'Meetings & Events' started by Silvesta, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Silvesta

Silvesta New Member

Have been a member here for a whiles but not been active. Looking to connect with Brisbane stackers. We must be overdue for a meetup. Mainly hunting au @ spot. Any advice on local markets/venues to trade also appreciated. Cheers

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It has been a bit quiet on the meetings front. I just buy from Silver stackers and a local dealer who I know so probably not much help there, I built my position in silver and gold a few years back now so i am just watching it without needing to add any more.

3. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Silvesta

Silvesta New Member

Thanks guys. I did see the Brisbane meet up post but hadn't noticed it went on for multiple pages, I thought it had fizzled. I'm watching it now so will aim to be at the next one, when it gets off the ground...

jultorsk likes this.
  5. SEQ

SEQ Member

Hickson and jultorsk like this.
  6. SEQ

SEQ Member

I'd be interested, but not keen enough to organise. If you want to organise this I'll sugest these steps. 1. search for brisbane members and PM them all w/ "interested in birs meets?" ask what level of interest they have, what they may want from these meets (how often, locations)? are they interested enough to help set it up etc. (ask for help from everyone, even if all they can do is help by attending, we are a community and a requirement for communities is growth through increased value and appeal. Please forward this to anyone who has attempted in the past and ask them to support whoever takes on the job by teling them the pitfalls they had etc.

florincollector54 likes this.
  7. SEQ

SEQ Member

OK, we need 1/ a location 2/ regular timing (monthly on the first saturday 1pm-4pm?, or something like that) and 3/ enough people to know about it that it will be successful.
    So,
    1/ does anyone have a good place, a cafe, a park (w/ permission?) a home (I live in a very small 1 bedroomr, can't be here)
    2/ suggest when (at least a month away, so as to get as many people to know as we can get)
    3/ can someone then please contact as many brisbane stackers as they can by searching them and PMing them (1st to gain more interest then to let them know it's on)

If you reply to these here, and offer a little help we can do it. I'll suggest that we get further ideas for a week then start working on doing it starting in say april.

If you have suggestions to this or even more would like to help (as I don't have the place or time etc) please post those ideas here (actual location rather than city etc, best time for you and if you can help (or let people know). We need more than "I'll attend".

Jonesy67 likes this.
  8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Okay, I didn't realise we had 2 threads going. I'm going to close the other thread, @SEQ I've copied and pasted your other post into this thread.

9. Jonesy67

Jonesy67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ha thought I was locked out for a few moments. Great timing. :)

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  10. Jonesy67

Id be keen as always. Why not the same location we have held the meets for the past few years. Lord Stanley Hotel. It has plenty of space and not that busy, they also have a private room if we had enough stackers coming along.
    I could possibly organise a representative from Imperial Bullion and the same person runs the Roxbury Auction House online auctions. [Will need to confirm]

https://www.lordstanleyhotel.com.au

https://roxburys.com.au

https://www.imperialbullion.com.au

11. Faraz

Faraz Member

Hi guys,
    I would love to join to Brisbane gathering.
    Has any time and day been confirmed

12. Jislizard

My wife is stressing about COVID so I probably won't be allowed to leave the house, however the Lord Stanley is really quiet so I will see. Always worth coming along. The food is decent, the location is fine, easy to park etc.

Last time we had a small number so we just stayed downstairs at a table which makes pulling bars of gold out a bit conspicuous.

I have currently hit my stacking goals so I am not interested in any buying or selling but I know in the past we have had people bring along items for sale and if you are coming you could always mention something that you are looking for or something you are trying to get shot of. Saves on postage fees.

Jonesy67 and jultorsk like this.
  13. SEQ

SEQ Member

OK lets start by picking a time it actually has pryority over location, (as far as location goes, I'd prefer a home or even a cafe would probably be better than a pub).

So lets first nominate a day/time (what's best for everyone?) It'll help build numbers too.

Mon night, Tue night, Wed night, Thur night, Fri night, Sat morn, Sat arvo, Sun morn, Sun arvo? ***to start in about a month

14. SEQ

SEQ Member

I prefer either Sat or Sun arvo once a month say, 1st weekend of the month, what day/time is good for everyone else?

15. SEQ

SEQ Member

Also, how can we search members by location, so we can message them and build interest? I'm sure I did it 2 weeks ago and found over 100 members in brisbane, but can't remeber how I did it.

16. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yea - as @sammysilver suggested we should just emulate the Sydney stacker soiree format.
    Read through the other (closed) thread that contained also other useful information, and many of the local names that might be contacted for participation.

"
    In Sydney we meet on the last Sunday of the month with only a few variations like Christmas or next month Anzac Day.
    Why not create a regular spot such as the second Sunday every 3 months and lock it in. You’ll find that a habit will develop as Stackers start to save the date. Also if you choose a different Sunday to Sydney, you may get a little cross pollination. I’ve been to meets in Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Newcastle, Canberra, Hobart etc over the years.
    Spread your wings.
    "

Jonesy67 likes this.
  17. Jonesy67

Id be careful invite a group of people you dont know yet to your home especially if you are a stacker. You have no idea who is following these threads and have been told that Brisbane had an issue years ago. In meets gone by some of us carried a bag full of goodies so not too sure if Id be comfortable with a cafe. Hence why [If attendance was good] a private room would be best.

jultorsk likes this.
  18. Faraz

Faraz Member

Why we don't organise gathering in Park, Like Koala Park in Daisy Hill or Karrakatta Park.
    We can seat and have BBQ as well. Everyone can bring their own, food, drink and metal

SEQ likes this.
  19. Jislizard

Saturday lunchtimes are best for me, after work is no good, other things to do.

Quiet pubs are good as they sell food and drink, are relatively private and have toilets on hand, parking etc.

Not too keen on outdoor spots as weather can be a pain, too hot, raining or windy and they don't serve cider.

Too frequent and people stop turning up to them all. We have had large numbers when spot was rising, and we have had 5-6 members when it has been quiet.

We have had talks from industry experts, talks on cleaning silver, auctions, sales tables, bring and buy etc. etc. but that takes a lot of input from the members.

Jonesy67, Faraz and jultorsk like this.
  20. Faraz

Faraz Member

Thanks mate,
    Do you have any place in your mind