Best performing lego sets and best buying

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by switchtronics, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. switchtronics

switchtronics Active Member

How's everyone's lego collection fairing? I just sold a lego creator series I purchased for $178 3 years ago for $548. The creator and ideas range have faired very well.

tater, dragafem and ozcopper like this.
  2. switchtronics

dragafem likes this.
  3. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

STKR and jultorsk like this.
  4. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. Oddjob

I've still got packed away (from several decades ago), in original boxes, with all parts in their respective trays.

8848 was where my love of modding began. Build it to plan first, play to break it then mod it.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of a lego story, A mate of mine lined up at a store for some lego star wars shit, from memory they waited for like 12 hours with his twelve year old son in sleeping bags, there was about ten people waiting to buy these sets he was saying. The first guy who went into the store bought the entire stock which was about 10 of these star wars sets lol, his kid was bloody devastated and was almost in tears, it almost turned into a brawl with another guy who was there with his son and the guy who bought them all. the store manager got into a huge verbal almost physical fight with a woman who had also waited for hours and was abusing the manager for letting one guy buy the lot lol, accusing him of it being rigged as the product wasnt in the lego section at the store, they were in another area conveniently the guy who bought them all seemed to know exactly where they were according to the lady.

it would have been rather entertaining watching grown men breaking young kids hearts and fighting over lego, lol those particular star wars sets were on ebay for a few grand that night apparently. For 12 hours wait he did at least leave the store with a good story ahaha.

The cut throat world of lego. Reminded me of that old Arnie christmas movie with dudes fighting over an action figure

i never much liked the kits so much as i didnt have the patience to follow the instructions, I always had the bucket of lego of just random bits. I did prefer meccano, as i could power it by an old steam engine my grandfather owned, so id build something to take it over to his house to see if my idea would work when hooked upto his steam engine model lol

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    jultorsk and switchtronics like this.
  7. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

this is my lego blocks...

[​IMG]

8. Oddjob

I got me some of them a ways back when silver was a bit cheaper.....still a tad over priced for what they are but don't care...they are different and a bit of fun.

9. switchtronics

10. switchtronics

Bonsai tree, flower bouquet and tree house I think will also do well long term.

11. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. vos

vos Member

I suppose same criticism might be levelled at most things today. Investing where no value added ie. greater fool. Product psychologists tapping in to evolutionary foibles originally intended for survival.

Obviously the best investment is actually having kids play/learn with lego. No one learns shit from looking at a box.

Millennial Engineer likes this.
  13. Millennial Engineer

Millennial Engineer Well-Known Member

Do you think there is a potential Pokemon Card situation happening for this in the Future.
    I have most of my old Space sets assembled before The Star Wars Crap took over and crushed the imagination.
    As a kid I would get 1 big space set each 2 years and lots of little sets. Aquanauts, Pirates, castles. in that order.
    Unfortunately most of the boxes are disposed of but the sets are relatively complete (Parts break or get bent but should be easily be replaceable).

As an adult.
    However I have the Orange Porche 911 which I bought for about 350 AUD 3 years ago, a quick check in Ebay its 900 AUD for an unopened one.
    I bought this as it was an ozbargain deal back in the past and thought that Lego parts may be scare to acquire in the future and I would have nothing to play with my kids with.
    My Friend has the Porche, Ferrari and Lambo. All in the boxes.

tater and switchtronics like this.
  14. switchtronics

I guess it's all down to an investors strategy, a family's decision to utilise its time or how people decide to invest or live. I personally like to collect things and get as much enjoyment out of hunting and completing a set as building. Plenty of secondary market open lego to utilise. Imho scalping would be multiple purchasing so others can't enjoy.

15. switchtronics

People can actually learn to value and care for things if they collect. Imho its healthy for a child to play but also healthy to be shown other ways of thinking. It could be like buying a gold proof coin and choosing to open it or leave it sealed. Some might get enjoyment from opening others will like to invest. If you look at almost anything from 20 years ago and kept it in the box, it's monetary and emotional value would be considerably high to a person seeking that item.

3 lessons can be taught

Value and respect
    Play and build
    Think outside the norm invest now with loss to current enjoyment however sell later with return from enjoyment.

16. switchtronics

Pokekon seems a highly collectible market with huge following.

tater likes this.
  17. tater

tater Active Member

I find this thread very interesting. My sister's family has purchased most large sets and are sitting on some of them unopened. I also have a young son and pokemon is alive and well in the house.

switchtronics likes this.
  18. switchtronics

Mostly creator and ucs sets?

19. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

easy to collect pokemon in the states when a booster pack cost you a dollar while here from $6-9/pack:eek::rolleyes: