Lego sets better investment than gold, study finds

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by wrcmad, Dec 27, 2021.

1. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Forget Blockchain — investors might want to consider putting their money into Lego blocks, which appreciate faster than even gold, according to a recent study.

Researchers at Moscow’s Higher School of Economics found retired Lego sets appreciated in value 11 per cent annually from 1987 to 2015 — more than gold, stocks or bonds.

Lego sets get pricier over time thanks to “high collectable value” combined with diminishing supply, the report said. Most Lego sets are discontinued after a few years.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/mon...s/news-story/64b64ec49029079065f193b132357251

jultorsk likes this.
  2. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

https://www.silverstackers.com/foru...ets-and-best-buying.86599/page-3#post-1229332 ;)

Also this! :eek:

Lego is building a new $1 billion factory in Vietnam

Copenhagen, Denmark Toymaker Lego said on Wednesday it plans to build a new factory in Vietnam to keep up with rapidly growing demand for its colored plastic bricks among children across Asia.

The privately-owned Danish firm said it will invest more than $1 billion in the project, which will be its second Asian factory after it opened one in China in 2016. Lego has achieved double-digit growth in the region since 2019.
    Demand is now on track to outstrip supply from its Chinese plant in the mid to long term, Lego's Chief Operations Officer Carsten Rasmussen told Reuters.

"Growth in China and Asia is fantastic and we can see that over time that we will need more capacity," he said, pointing to a growing middle class and high number of births in the region compared to more mature European and North American markets.

The move is the latest in Lego's decade-old strategy of placing production close to key markets, which has helped rein in costs and shield it from external factors.
    "It gives us shorter delivery time to our customers and make us able to react quickly on demand but it of course also makes us more resilient," Rasmussen said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/08/business/lego-vietnam-factory-intl-hnk/index.html

3. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is a really great (amusing) gold bash. If gold is considered ‘money’, then the part about gold is just fluff. The story is boring without the comparison: Lego set prices have gone up based on available data. Perhaps past events inform future trends?

So do you want your Lego sets priced in gold, USD or BTC? And maybe/likely it depends on the circumstances at the time of the trade. Questions the masses aren’t asking themselves. I certainly don’t want to entertain Lego as my ‘money’ and so it should be embarrassing to compare as such.

Steveno likes this.
  5. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Been there, tried that.

$500-1000 worth of Lego sets are a PITA to look after, imagine trying to do it with $10,000 or even $100,000 worth.

Resale is a hassle. I can sell a kilo of gold in an instant across the counter at a bullion dealer, how much effort and time would it take to sell 1,000 of the same rare Lego sets to achieve the same volume?

One of those 'sounds good in theory' investments I think.

solved, PMCollector, wrcmad and 4 others like this.
  6. wrcmad

Relax. Don't get so worked up over it. Bit of a tongue-in-cheek article I reckon.
    And don't bother with the gold-is-money rhetoric..... all that BS-theorising was made redundant years ago when SS members went bat-sh!t crazy over crypto. :p

66rounds likes this.
  7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

You’re in a mischievous mood. ;)

wrcmad and jultorsk like this.
  8. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Also dont forget the re-make of popular lego sets-that always sets back the value of the original,always.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  9. heartastack

Im not worked up over Lego but the 3rd fucked up Christmas break away from family.

jultorsk and mmm....shiney! like this.
  10. wrcmad

Fair enough.
    I know how you feel... my 3rd fkd up Xmas too.
    Actually, all Xmas's are fkd up.

PMCollector and heartastack like this.
  11. heartastack

I like them, sitting on the sidelines difficult. But I’m running the highest fever I’ve had in years (I don’t even think it’s Covid just bronchitis from a Christmas smoke) today and because I didn’t take the days off work this is just one hellish nightmare driving around a four hour journey with high fever from St Kilda to Frankston to test. Anyway you win some you lose some, I’ll be grateful when I’m on my feet no doubt, but taking a bit out on the lego was a bit of relief ;)

wrcmad likes this.
  12. heartastack

Got the Covid positive notification today. It’s been pretty rough on me. Fever has passed but feels like I’ll need 2 more days of rest. Mates didn’t get it half as bad. With the new rules I can be back in the community on the 5th no test required. Maybe not the worst time to get it after all. Still, a miserable time I could do without.

Only advise would be to have your Panadols and relevant medicines ready, looks like a lot of people will get this in the coming weeks.

Nugget and wrcmad like this.
  13. wrcmad

Everyone will get it eventually.
    It is everywhere ATM.
    I know a couple who tested positive 2 days before Xmas, but didn't let that spoil their plans - still got on a flight to Sydney to visit relatives on Boxing Day. WTF?

Nugget and heartastack like this.
  14. Number 47

Number 47 Well-Known Member

I doubt lego would be a good hedge against hyper inflation though.

15. mmm....shiney!

Lego is probably not as popular toy in countries that may face hyperinflation.

16. Number 47

True....
    Statistically speaking countries which consume Lego are far less likely to suffer hyperinflation.... we should send a heap of aid packages in the form of Lego kits.

jultorsk likes this.
  17. mmm....shiney!

Master’s thesis there for an econ student analysing any correlation between the number of Lego sets held in the real economy and the instance of hyperinflation.

Number 47 likes this.
  18. Number 47

There's also a distinct correlation between the prevalence of icecream consumption and starvation. People in countries which consume large amounts of icecream are far less likely to suffer from famines.

Hoe down that frosty icecream folks, it may be saving your fellow citizens from starvation.

mmm....shiney! likes this.