2020 Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Dec 8, 2019.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

India is waiting for S400
    Russia has not yet sell S500 Prometheus

2. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

They want to get rid of cryptos claiming that they consume too much energy... hilarious.

3. alor

4. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  5. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

What a joke Bitcoin is.
    Wastes a vast amount of computer time and energy doing nothing useful.
    In 100 years,w hen we have computers the size of continents,and have harnessed the entire Power of the sun,the technology may have practical application.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018

6. RiotGold

RiotGold Member

Computation for Bitcoin has achieved a change in thinking? I don't think you can classify the potential the bitcoin offers as useless... This even from just the fundamental statement of being another source of value.

7. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone rubbishing bitcoin at this point only exposes a lack of thorough understanding.
    Trying to convince others to buy it hand-over-fist right now is a whole other story…

TreasureHunter likes this.
  8. TreasureHunter

Agreed.

Many people who missed the boat speak against it. Also, people who don't understand the phenomenon.

I never believed in cryptos and I didn't invest/missed the boat, but it's a totally new phenomenon that most people don't understand even today.

I always like thorough deep analysis, which "nay sayers" don't usually have.
    The rate of adoption is tremendous, it spreads more than the internet, more than anything ever before!

This is the future in one form or the other. I think many people missed the boat, I didn't believe either that is was going to become so big.
    When I first heard about it, it was around 25-30 $ and I considered it as "internet money", basically like a coupon at most.

So I never bought, didn't understand it thoroughly, but very few people did understand 10% of what we understand today. It was so unpredictable and
    seemed to have so many flaws, limits etc.

I was fascinated about them technically, but never would have believed Bitcoin could even reach 10 k. But it did.

I always compared it to gold and silver and found that PM's would beat Bitcoin at any level: store of value, intrinsic value, more stable (PM's are not so
    volatile), you hold it and you own it (cryptos are merely digital)... the early bubble made me think cryptos are merely in a tulip-bubble.

But today we're living in far more digitalized world and this environment simply works totally differently. It is a totally new phenomenon.

Michael Saylor and Raoul Pal are the most convincing and I listen to them a lot. All previous Bitcoiners were "armchair teenager experts with pimples" and
    seeing who they are discredited cryptos in 3 seconds.

The early exchanges and wallets didn't have credibility. Chinese and Russian trading portals looked like spyware/adware/trojan virus nests and were scary
    to just enter them. If anyone ever registered there and shared their personal data through KYC methods, they must have been nuts!

The early "alt coins" were pump and dumps.

So I never was a crypto guy, although I kept reading about them for a decade.

I always made sense to listen to Peter Schiff and Jim Rickards. PM's seemed to be sound assets and cryptos looked worse than fiat money.

Obviously I didn't understand enough about the entire crypto-phenomenon. Now I am astonished and I'm determined to learn more about it.

Now I listen to all: Saylor, Pal, Schiff, Rickards - they all make strong points. Today I couldn't say either one or the other is right/wrong.

I think they're all right and what's the common element is that fiat is going to dust. Cryptos, PM's all have future in my opinion as alternative investments.

I also think BTC is going to hit 100 k. They just need to invent something to make it consume less electricity.

adze67, sammysilver and heartastack like this.
  9. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The first time I became aware of it was when they announced parity with the US dollar. I don't know where from.

Edit: just shows you how fkn trash the dollar is too. So weak of a domino to fall without a squeak.

10. alor

its the dollar 's soul trying to hang on something...like ghost in the shell
    the spirit that lost its body...there is no place to return to

11. alor

looks like a black Friday discount

12. TreasureHunter

Indeed, a very big question is whether they can do something to make cryptos consume less electricity. Like this indeed, their future is limited.

13. alor

14. TreasureHunter

The best performing major fiat currency is the CHF. The worst to own is the EUR.

And, just like Uneducated Economist believed, the US dollar is much stronger.

15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

It's called Proof of Stake.

16. TreasureHunter

Is that enough? Just to stake cryptos...

I'm not sure what consumes most of the energy - probably the mining?

So once Bitcoin and Ethereum are past the mining stage (all will have been mined), then will that reduce their consumption of electricity?

Because downloading and synchronizing the wallets in my opinion will constantly require more and more electricity. More and more crypto history to download.

Or, they could make it really centralized (like the light wallets), that way the entire blockchain stays somewhere "central". But that throws away the basic idea of why decentralize cryptos exist.

17. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mining being computationally hard is arbitrary. They only made it hard to help decentralise it. Proof of stake removes the mining puzzle to make it fast and instead just does a quick hash of the block.

Since POS is centralised, I don’t really understand it's benefit over a traditional bank.

TreasureHunter likes this.
  18. mmm....shiney!

Traditional banks are in the “create government backed fiat” out of thin air scheme. POS blockchains aren’t.

19. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lol I would say all cryptos are in the business of creating credits out of thin air. It’s all in the air these days.

jultorsk and adze67 like this.
  20. mmm....shiney!

Traditional banks are in the “create government backed fiat” out of thin air scheme. POS blockchains aren’t. ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021