Have you bought gold bars from C. Hafner?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by TreasureHunter, Dec 1, 2019.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

This discussion is becoming creepy...

Perhaps this is why C. Hafner is promoting ethical production of gold bars made from recycled gold.

2. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member

3. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

Incredible how threads can go off topic and onto irrelevant tangents, isn’t it?

Tokyo likes this.
  4. silverdude

silverdude Member

I know I'm late to the party, but C. Hafner is definitely not of low reputation. They are on the LBMA "good delivery list" for gold. Founded in 1850, they have a long standing history. With an annual turn-over of around 1.5 billion AUD, they're also not exactly small. There's no reason not to get their gold bars in my opinion. And gold is gold, it doesn't really have a memory of being "recycled". I would even say that recycled gold should be preferred, as it is the most ethical option, as explained on their own website https://www.c-hafner.de/en/company/responsibility.html

Aelfred likes this.
  5. TreasureHunter

It is a member of the LBMA, but I don't think that recycled gold is the same as the typical mined gold bar. Perhaps, there is a chemical difference between them and most likely a structural difference as well.

I noticed that the C Hafner gold bars are a lot bigger than the Perth Mint and Pamp bars. A 20 g C Hafner bar is bigger (wider, longer and appears thicker) than the 1 oz (31,1 g gold bars by either Perth Mint or Pamp). This makes me think that it might be more porous, e.g. might contain more air bubbles.

Similarly: cast iron is not the same as stainless steel (not just because the latter is an alloy), but also due to the way they are made.

I am inclined to think that C Hafner gold is recycled "junk gold", despite being pure (.999), it might not have the same quality (structurally, etc.).

6. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

somebody failed chemistry and was not around when they did the periodic table of elements.

silverdude likes this.
  7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

8. silverdude

silverdude Member

The Hafner 20g minted bar is considerably thinner (1.1mm) compared to the Perth Mint 1 Oz (1.69mm). I calculated the volumes from the published dimensions of both bars an there is no difference in density.

Perhaps because of packaging the bar feels thicker, but it's not.

Gold is monoisotopic (only the isotope Au179 is stable and occurs) and as far as I know the lattice structure of solid gold is always a face centered cubic (FCC). It's definitely not comparable to the difference of cast iron and steel or different solids pure carbon (e. g. amorphous, graphite, diamond) could form.

So, no, I'm not buying at all that recycled gold is different or inferior. It may be more ethical, however.

dozerz likes this.
  9. TreasureHunter

For some reason I think Perth Mint and Pamp feel better than C Hafner bars.
    They also have a nicer pale gold glow (if you're held them in your hands).

Recycled gold just doesn't sound good, even if it is pure .999

10. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

There's absolutely nothing wrong with C. Hafner bars. 999 Gold is exactly that, 999 Gold. They're an LBMA accredited refiner and any differences between their bars and other accredited refiners' equivalent is simply cosmetic/marketing.

silverdude and dozerz like this.
  11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

if gold is just au atoms, recycle is just re-bonding with au-au, just like hair extensions
    there are liquid gold, so long as the container does not leak, thief do not steal it...usually they are looking for the bars. unless its special thieves.

12. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If genuine gold close to zero premiun and low postage. Zero issue.

As long as you are expecting to sell at spot and zero premium, in Treasure Island .

Unrecognized brands in Australia need explanation, XRF or even a discount to sell instantly.

However potential bonus is that the brand might become collectable too?