WTB: 1937 Australian Crowns

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by bsides, Aug 18, 2021.

1. MattyJoe

MattyJoe Active Member

Nice, I started collecting Crowns this year and would love to get my hands on a 1938 in MS63/4 as I currently have one in MS62. Does anyone know of any resources to help with grading? I have been using PCGS and been surprised with grades, some ones I thought were high grade have come back as AU58 and even one that I was expecting to be a MS62 got MS65! Apologies for the thread hijack.

2. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

grading is coins before sending off is a trial and error exercise, pcgs is generally fairly consistent but sometimes you get surprised.
    ms64 1938 is top pop and near impossible to get. my ms63 wont leave my hands for less than a $x,000 amount
    they are hard to get raw in high grade anymore as most have been graded by people like me

jultorsk likes this.
  3. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks hardyakkagold & serial, no worries at all and am happy to have a place to chat about the 1937 crown (the item I am looking for) in this forum!

hardyakkagold - I appreciate the info regarding the rarity of PCGS 1937 crown in high grades. You seem confident that there are there fakes on ebay as we speak. I have looked at another thread showing the markings on fake coins (ding above the 7 on the crown), and yet to see one of these appear on ebay this month?

serial - wow nice coins! Thanks for sharing. Does PCGS coin have an office in Australia? Or did you have to post the coin overseas to have it graded? This could also be reducing the number of coins graded, if that is the case.

MattyJoe - in the banknote world, 58 can actually be very close to 64. And 58 will be more desirable than a 62, 61 and 60, even often 63. 58 is a great grade to have and usually 58 are great value to collect compared to Uncirculated grades. I have even seen a 58 banknote slide to 66.

MattyJoe likes this.
  4. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

No.. closest one is in HKG for Asia region