WW3 do you want tobe holding Cryptocurrency or PM?

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by Jason1, May 31, 2021.

?

WW3 do you want tobe holding Crypto or PM?

1. CRYPTOCURRENCY ?

13.8%
  2. PRECIOUS METALS?

86.2%
  1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cryptos.

I like my gold and silver and they would be more use in day to day trading locally but my aim would be to head for somewhere neutral or isolated. In which case I would need to pay someone to smuggle me out of the country. If I am carrying all my wealth on me I have the option to pay everything up front and trust in the smugglers, or pay them half up front and keep hold of the rest and hope they don't just kill me for the balance.

With cryptos I can prepay half up front and then the rest on safe arrival in the destination, by which time they have done the work so will be less likely to murder me.

If the electricity, mobile networks, internet and everything else goes down to stop me trading cryptos I can still try and sneak out of the country without having to carry a couple of kilos of silver with me, risking having it all stolen. With the cryptos, when I make it into a neutral area with amenities I can access the crypto and start making life a little more comfortable.

Revils and Jason1 like this.
  2. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

you do know that crypto can be held in the physical world on coins with the use of hologram stickers, paper wallets and even brain wallets? there are also projects to remove the dependency on internet such as blockstream sattelite and radio broadcasts?

i would probably have to go with crypto because i could carry it with me in my head, rather than risking some armed up tuna bandits taking my physical gold. i could hodl much more in value than i could physically carry or would be safe in metals.

Jason1 and Jislizard like this.
  3. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

^^^ then put your entry in the poll under cryptocurrency. Currently there is only one person who put their name under it, So to be a fairer reflection for the support of the crypto option best to enter it.

spannermonkey likes this.
  4. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As much as I love my Crypto, here I am answering Precious Metals.....even more specifically - Gold.

WW3 is likely to be devastating. Infrastructure targets, EMP attacks....despite the fact I think Crypto would survive due to its decentralized nature and still have it's day (assuming WW3 has survivors), it won't be a lot of use day to day without infrastructure to support it.

Gold...in your pocket. That's what you're going to want when your life (and your families) depends on it.

Lets hope it never comes to it.

66rounds, wrcmad and Jason1 like this.
  5. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

"If the electricity, mobile networks, internet and everything else goes down"

That pretty much describes a time when the only things you're going to need are food, water, shelter and some way of defending yourself. (Depending on how long that situation lasts)

We don't need a WW3 to end up in that situation.

6. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Yes we know that. but as I said before thats not the topic
    again the topic is clearly about whether cryptocurrency or Precious metals has an edge for trading and even bribery in a war situation.
    This is not Crypto and gold vs Food and guns.
    Its about which of the two mentioned would likely make a better trading commodity in a situation like that, out of just cryptocurrency and Precious metals.

no one is saying pack a bug out bag with just gold and laptops and not fill it with food and survival gear, thats not what the discussion is.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  7. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't know if the younger generations would be the ones I would be trading with.

Crypto is good in theory, but it's largely a speculative rodeo. In a crisis scenario, these fantasy digits will likely mean nothing to those who don't already hold Crypto and those who are in it just for Speculation.

Gold has a way of speaking for itself. It needs no introduction.

You might get raw bartering at stages, but people have a way of finding a medium of exchange suitable to transact in. When the dust settles, gold is still going to be gold. I'd rather have gold and silver than not.

adze67, 66rounds and Jason1 like this.
  8. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

It's kind of a mute point as most crypto holders here also stack.

Most stackers don't hold crypto.

9. nutshell

nutshell Active Member

I had Vietnamese friends in the US and have Vietnamese friends here in Oz that paid in gold and/or gold jewelry to escape from Vietnam after the fall. My wife's family in Malaysia is an eclectic mix of Chinese and Eurasian with some Indonesian thrown in for good measure. When we married the common wedding gift for was a 916 gold chain .... wear it or put it away for a rainy day. Come to think of it when I migrated here and arrived at Tullamarine it seemed there were some easily identified eastern European types going through customs wearing heavy gold chains about their necks.

Gold will get one through bad times and over the border. Crypto won't get you seat on the boat and a sack full of inflated fiat won't go very far when one gets where one is going.

Oddjob, Silverling, GoldenEye and 3 others like this.
  10. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If WW3, gold, rare earths and usa based assets, basically my current portfolio. Silver is also good, but rare earths will do even better.

Jason1 likes this.
  11. tdtwedt

tdtwedt Active Member Silver Stacker

Gold, silver, and copper for me.

:)

Jason1 likes this.
  12. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'll stick with my honey hoard.

dozerz and adze67 like this.
  13. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PMS for me. For all the same reasons already listed.

adze67 and Jason1 like this.
  14. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I voted crypto.
    In a war the government can seize all your assets, seize your house, all your physical possessions.
    I could bury or hide the PMs but if I GTFO who knows when I'll be back and presumably I'd want to access my wealth before that point.
    In reality I'd try use my PMs to bribe/pay my way out of the situation and then live off my crypto once I'm in a refugee camp or wherever lets me use their wifi.

Bullion Stax likes this.
  15. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the original true store of value :)

16. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Except if you’re trading with a vegan

Bullion Stax and dozerz like this.
  17. PMCollector

PMCollector Well-Known Member

I know a silver bug...when the bushfires came, he got as far as the front door with his hoard. :D sorry i couldn't help myself.

18. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

When exiting a bush fire you want cash, there were people in 2019 who couldnt fill thier cars up with fuel at the servos or buy food as the phone network was down for miles and they couldnt use cards.
    Although im sure a savy small servo owner might be smart enough to take a bar of gold as collateral lol
    Cash is king though with things like natural disasters.

Bit off topic though from wartime

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    STKR and GoldenEye like this.
  19. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you’ll need crypto, cash and PMs, just to ensure you’re covered.

20. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've thought of marketing mine as Vegan. It comes from re-homed colonies that would otherwise be exterminated. Not farmed. The honey is removed as an essential step in rehoming as bees are very sensitive to cleanliness in their new home, and honey comb is so marginal that it collapses and starts drowning bees and they will often abscond threatening their chance of survival. If we place brood comb and honey comb in the new hive, the bees will cluster on the brood comb while Small Hive Beetle will have free reign on the honey comb and within days their maggots will hatch out and then move across to the brood comb and destroy it as well, thereby killing the colony.

Taking the honey away is an essential part of the rehoming process and it would be disrespectful to the bees and their work not to use it.