Bullion in NZ

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by fishduck, May 12, 2021.

1. fishduck

fishduck Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi, I wanted to ask on the landscape of New Zealand in regards to bullion dealers and private transactions.

1) Are there any bullion dealers that buyback at spot for gold/silver?

2) Is there an active private market down there?

3) How are Australian 3/6 pences, 50 cent rounds etc viewed over there? If not highly, what is the equivalent in NZ?

Thanks

2. IfUdonotholditUdonotownit

IfUdonotholditUdonotownit Active Member

I've lived in NZ several times and:
    1: Not that I'm aware of. However, I have only ever dealt with two big dealers, primarily Perth Mint and one other big Australian dealer. Also did one private transaction in Australia for a special item. Never even brought from a NZ dealer, although I am aware of many of them. I'd be very wary - generally - for as in Australia & US, there has been lots of bad publicity about some dodgy dealers over the years. Your safest bet, imo, would be the New Zealand Mint, they have the best & longest standing, and *probably* (at a guess) have the best security for protecting the electronic records of your name and address.

2: Not that I'm aware. Its nothing even remotely like Silverstackers which has a phenomenal offering in private trading. I have zero interest in checking out "deals" on TradeMe or Ebay, so sorry, I can't be very helpful at all I'm afraid. Just had a look on TradeMe now, and there are loads of offerings.

3: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=379889

3. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lived in Auckland and Wellington and a local kiwi stacker

1) Yes there are bullion dealers that buyback at spot and have have traded with theses guys Regal Castings & Bullion based in Auckland for the past 20 years and

1) https://www.regal.co.nz/bullion.php

Have lived in NZ all my life and this company have been my go to guys for the past 20 years and more when buying and selling bullion . A very reputable dealer in Auckland and have had no issues with them being the authorised Perth Mint dealership but do carry a limited stock in both silver and gold
    NZ Mint also hold a Perth Mint dealership but have very limited stock as they are predominantly heavy with their own products

There are also a few others in Auckland as well to trade with but I find these guys easiest to deal with being a family run business with bullion only part of there trading

2) No active private market here in NZ with a handful of kiwis who are members of silverstackers and we are a fairly close community. I'm an active member of our local Trademe and have established contacts for that site when buying and selling bullion bars or coins both gold and silver
    Check them out Trademe.co.nz and again no issues on this site either

3) Limited interest in Aussie silver coins but in saying that the odd ones do show up on Trademe and in particular the 1966 50c coins of which appears there is more interest in those
    Some interest in the early NZ halfcrowns 2/6 with their silver content

Can chat further via a PM should you wish to converse and seek clarification

4. fishduck

fishduck Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi, thanks for your reply. How are US 90% coins (dimes, quarters, halfs etc) viewed in NZ?

5. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes there is limited interest in these types of coins but in saying not to many appear on line and could be a sleeping stacker waiting to buy

I can only suggest you test the market by advertising on our Trademe website and you maybe pleasantly surprised as this site has the biggest audience in NZ

fishduck likes this.