American Platinum Eagle Set

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by tater, Feb 3, 2021.

1. tater

tater Active Member

I am kicking around an idea of putting together a platinum eagle set. I know I can't afford the 1 oz coins so I am thinking about the 1/4 oz coins or the 1/2 oz coins. Just curious what your thoughts are on a set like this. What's the best way to buy these and pay the smallest premium which has always been an issue with any platinum series.

2. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

By set, I'm assuming you mean to include all available sizes? If yes, then you will definitely need a 1 oz Eagle for a set.

Premiums will always be high for Platinum......that's just the way it is......it's a difficult metal to mint, as I understand it.

From all the articles I've been reading on Platinum over the past couple of years, it does seem that Platinum will continue on an upward price trajectory with normal fluctuations (volatility) in spot price on the way up. Just keep your eyes open on bullion dealers web sites, your LCS (if you have one), this forum's trading section, and eBay. You could get lucky and find a 1 oz Pt Eagle at a price point that is too good to pass up.

3. tater

tater Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about a date set. I'm leaning more towards the 1/4 ounce proof series.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  4. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Got it. Yes, in that case, you can avoid the 1 oz A.P.E.s (American Platinum Eagles) and since the U.S. Mint has stopped producing proof fractional APEs, then you have a finite set to challenge yourself with acquiring.

I think it would make a good set to try to complete because it would be somewhat challenging (a challenge can be quite fun) and considerably less costly than a set of full ounce proof APE's.

Let us know how this set is coming together and happy proof APE hunting!

tater likes this.
  5. tater

tater Active Member

Thanks and if you see any fair deals in your online searching let me know.