Which ASX listed gold miners have you invested in?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by willrocks, Apr 28, 2020.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

From a technical perspective if it was me I'd wait. The SP is trending lower, it could test the 0.115 mark. I'd be looking for some consolidation after it falls further then a sustained uptrend into the 0.135 - 0.160 price range and buying there (as long as the fundamentals checked out which I haven't done).

Gold from a technical perspective is also trending lower, but we're still in a gold bull market.

And remember this when taking financial advice from others: "Your friends are fkn stupid!" ;)

oziwassabi and 66rounds like this.
  2. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the technical advice. I was investing based on the strength of their management crew and their position relative to other producing mines, but a bit turned off by the fact they've been exploring for ten years now. I'll see where the price moves and if it falls lower as you suggest I might try stick an order in.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

To further expand on the above, this is a gold explorer that has been on my watch list since about August/September last year. Fundamentally it's ticked a few boxes for me, it also appeals to my risk level which is highly speculative.

Technically though I haven't bought in. The SP is trading below my current calculated buy price which may sound mentally retarded on face value, particularly as I've got a mentally retarded face, but that's because its SP is in a downtrend so it's still got the potential to keep falling. If it does I just recalculate my buy in price factoring in the falling SP and wait until I've seen some consistent uptrend before pulling the trigger. I may pay a couple of cents more than if I'd bought at the bottom, but I'm more confident that the SP will rise.

[​IMG]

My current buy price is in the 0.400 - 0.465 range. As you can see the SP is nearly 9% below the bottom of that range. Not trying to blow my own trumpet but if you pop over to the last few posts of the SLR thread, I pointed out a similar thing in November last year.

Edit to add: although the jump in the SP of SLR in early January may have made me consider that the trend had reversed. I hadn't done any price calculations on SLR so I don't know.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    oziwassabi, wrcmad and 66rounds like this.
  4. StewyD32

StewyD32 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

BCN has just announced to start to pay a dividend finally. Plus, its a nice initial dividend.

Hopefully, this is the push it needs to get out of the sideways channels it has been in for a while.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    1for1 and 66rounds like this.
  5. LiverBird

LiverBird Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep & a hefty divi at that!
    I probably would have preferred those funds to be used differently but perhaps there's some big news in the pipeline that makes them so confident???

1for1 likes this.
  6. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am 12% up on ASIA now since buying where I would only be 8.5% up if I had held BHP

Stoic Phoenix, Ivykoin and Ipv6Ready like this.
  7. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Also have a look at ishares IAA etf

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Be careful.
    It is a dog and the market knows it.
    Div looks juicy, but not after it tanks ex-div.
    LOM is a big problem.

9. StewyD32

What's fundimentally wrong with BCN in your opinion?. This seems to be a stock that has people divided on either having good potential or being a dog stock.
    It's better than some of the stocks I had in my portfolio.... Like THD for example who's back on the ASX soon and now a gold miner:eek:

1for1 likes this.
  10. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fundamentals are spot-on...... P/E of around 3 for a 3.5 year LOM. That is standard.
    But it doesn't get better than this without a LOM extension.
    They drilled Lost Dog and it was marginal. So where are the next prospects coming from?
    If the current dividend payment was to continue (excluding special div), and that looks likely, by the time they mine out their current reserves, they will be left with $100 mil in the bank (and that is assuming Current Quarter POG, which has already dropped). So no guarantee there.
    $100mil is less than current MC. So essentially you are left with a cashed-up exploration Co. in 4 years time...... and the market is pricing it as such.
    Some are sprukeing the current 17% div yield over the next few months, but that assumes price holds ex-div.... which it def wont IMHO.
    So where is growth coming from to justify a SP increase?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    StewyD32 likes this.
  11. StewyD32

All good points I agree with completely. I do get the feeling they are set in their ways and are happy with what they have at the moment and just want to focus on lost dog etc.
    There is a pretty good team there and they would be able to do a quick turn around when looking at new prospect areas.

At the moment I'm happy with a position in BCN. Time will tell whether they shift their focus onto new claims.

12. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Real $ likes this.
  13. heartastack

Real $ likes this.
  14. heartastack

Well what a week that was for KAU. Gold stocks were taking some brutal hits by mid week and KAU had a massive seller on Thursday, offloading $450k worth in a single trade @15c (keep in mind I think 20c is cheap hence why they easily found a keen buyer). Sells were mostly soaked up and by close the SP was back at 18c.

So today the news drops that the exploration license has been granted to expanded areas. I almost want to feel bad for that seller yesterday.. But if they want to come back and buy $450k worth of shares then they aren't getting them for another +10c at least.

"Kaiser Reef Limited (ASX: KAU) is extremely pleased to report that the large 144 km2 exploration licence has been granted which covers an area substantially larger than the combined Maldon mining licences (Figure 1) and p"

And a hotcopper 'heart' poster has replied positively to the news - The first heart decorated poster to comment on KAU since they took over the mine. And to make it juicer, the heart commenter has their held status as 'not held'. Meaning KAU is still in 'smart money' accumulation phase.
    https://hotcopper.com.au/asx/kau/discussion/

Notes: This watchlist name should be changed, and it was not a top 5 gold but a top 5 'new gold' meaning stocks I need to prioritise researching. 5 turned into 20 and most haven't been researched. But I still like where KAU is there and it's the only one I'm in.
    Shares KAU.PNG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Real $ likes this.