General trading expectations.

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by desmodronic, Jan 4, 2021.

1. desmodronic

desmodronic New Member

Afternoon SS regulars,

Have had a read of the FAQ's, trading forum sticky's and general read of some of the topics within the trade posts.

I was, in particular looking for the standard trade expectations, particularity as a newbie to the precious metal trade. Plenty of experience with other forum based trading but the few post I've read seem to be very contradictory to those tired and proven practices.

Personal contact details and a phone number for high value trade are pretty much expected.

Yet from what I have read here the seller of the items often prefer to remain incognito citing burglary protection. It's also recommended to have the item posted to an alternative address for the same reason.

Anyone able to shed some light on the standard process as a whole? Maybe a sticky I managed to miss.

Thanks in advance,

STC and GF like this.
  2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes ,
    you missed the sticky somewhere ,
    ABout a weeks worth of reading to do

GF likes this.
  3. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey...Welcome to SS. I'll make it easier than a week of reading.

When buying -

"Buzz" means you have bought it, no maybe's. Any questions should be via PM with the seller. It is excepted to "Buzz" either on the thread or via PM unless stated on the OP.

When selling -

As above, Newbie's may need to post first and receive payment on delivery. There have been scammers so its pretty much a rule until you get your trade feedback numbers up.

In general -

Have a delivery address that is not your home address for security. Don't make comments on trade threads. Respect everyone (you don't have to like them though)

SS is an awesome community; good luck in becoming a valued member.

GF

4. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I never understood how anyone could make it complicated. Must be lucky!

mmm....shiney! and spannermonkey like this.
  5. desmodronic

desmodronic New Member

Had another look, not sure it's there anymore. Must have lost it's stickiness. I'm confident a trade process would be a minute or two's read. The precious metal trading on the whole however...

Very much appreciated, follows the impression I got reading a few examples in the "Unsolicited / off-topic comments in trading thread". I think many assume what they have gathered over the years to be common knowledge.

I just registered and passed on the paperwork to purchase directly from the Perth Mint. Seems to be a no fuss option for the newb and avoids the $100+ mark up just because the retail seller is local.

6. Joe King 79

Joe King 79 Member

Oh Damn I was hoping to sell some gold and silver on here and I'm a newb. Everyone wants excess time at the moment but its something I don't have. The owner of the house we rent wants to sell and I need to sell my precious metals asap. I may have to find something quicker if this is the case.

7. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Joe,
    I would suggest a face to face (F2F) sale.
    Choose a location that you are comfortable with such as a bank or shopping center, somewhere with cameras is good.
    Saves on postage too.
    Or take it to a dealer, they may offer under spot but instant fiat.

8. Joe King 79

Joe King 79 Member

I mean I have thought of that but this would require the buyer live reasonably close by. I have no issues selling via registered post with signature, f2f or whatever I can to get the precious to the peoples.

9. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

that’s easy ship first and buyer pays on receipt. Sell to trusted buyers look at feedback. Again- how is this complicated?

10. Joe King 79

Joe King 79 Member

I mean its not complicated, time is the issue, something I am lacking.

It appears AUS Post is having trouble getting things to people in a usual time frame, something that has gone by the wayside since the CCP Virus hit our shores. I've noticed this myself with things I've bought online. If I send someone an item and it takes to long to get there then I am unable to get money quickly as the post is delayed. This is my problem.

heartastack likes this.
  11. STC

Hi again Joe,
    I’m sorry you are in this situation but I gave you 2 options that could help you out.
    Horse to water type of scenario. Posting will take time, it’s unreliable also, set up a f2f or take it to a dealer. Finding a solution is much more helpful than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, I understand your frustration, focus on the solution rather than the problem.

12. Joe King 79

Joe King 79 Member

Thank you for the options, I hear it loud and clear. When I put up my items for sale either today or next week I will state f2f, if I don't get any takers I will have to sell somewhere else is all. I will give people the option of posting however even if it is unreliable due the the virus. I have paid for membership as I feel this site is worth it. This is the first website I've ever given currency to. I also hope to sell/buy here in the future as it appears you have a good community of differing folks here. I am happy to buy postage as this is how I currently buy my bullion.

thanks.

13. STC

Great to hear Joe,
    It’s always a good idea to keep a % in an unallocated online depository (GoldStackers is my fav), you can flip quick if you are pinched for cash. The saying “if u don’t hold it, u don’t own it” is very true but silver takes up room so consider other options & weight them up vs risk etc (or buy more gold!).
    You can also accumulate unallocated then when you have enough to make postage viable it can be sent. Goldstackers.com do this for coins/bars etc also.
    I’m really glad that you are a paid member, it really helps the site out. As far as I know this site is only supported by GP(thanks so much Ben!), advertising, a few industry members & us public memberships. It’s a great community with many quality posters, people with a wide varieties of backgrounds & experiences. People who are unpaid but patient & willing to answer questions, do research, enlighten, advise, guide & inspire others by their example. Contacts gained via this site have helped me immensely & I will always take the time to help others on this site.
    All the best

14. Joe King 79

Joe King 79 Member

Yeah all good, I've always been wary of other people holding my silver or gold, even myself which is why I don't keep anything at home. I can see the advantages you're talking about, I will look into this. The Gold Coast isn't to far from me, I will check this out for the future.

You are correct in the fact that if you can't touch it you don't own it. I think about my bank account in this way.