Be aware of your personal SECURITY

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by WSF, Dec 10, 2020.

1. WSF

WSF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi all,

Ive noticed of late that alot of new members these days they are getting items shipped to their home addresses.

Please try and avoid this. You're dealing with strangers and also the risk of the site being hacked etc.

A parcel collect address is free from Australia post that allows parcels to be delivered to your local post office. You can sign up to it online. Its easy.

Alternatively, you can pay for a PO box.

Welcome.

2. Horrie

Horrie Well-Known Member

Sound advice, I’ve mentioned this to a few new stackers who I’ve sold to myself. Be aware of what you share and with whom.

Stay safe people.

Horrie

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    REDBACK, Ivykoin and madaw1 like this.
  3. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

TOP tip mate!

REDBACK likes this.
  4. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Delivery to home address only from people you can know for ages....

REDBACK likes this.
  5. scheap

scheap New Member

On this topic. Anyone who purchased a Leger hardware wallet (crypto) should be aware that their full details have been leaked (Full name, phone, email, address ... etc). Definitely worth investing in a P.O. box for sensitive deliveries.

6. BelfastChild

BelfastChild Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just set up my free parcel locker after reading this old post...sound advice indeed!

Reeta, GF, adze67 and 2 others like this.
  7. Real $

Real $ Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's good advice, was hesitant at 1st but the few crew I've dealt with here are all well known members and have been a pleasure to deal with. We all have similar base interests and somewhat like minded. After dealing with online dealers for some time I'm extremely grateful I found this community.Cheers

8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

how sure are you that those information will never be hacked?
    hospitals got hacked before
    insurance companies got hacked before
    gyms memberships got hacked before
    banks accounts got scammed before
    protect you from yourselves first !
    one can only try :)

9. Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bearing in mind that even a company as large and privacy-aware as Credit Suisse has very recently had a major security breach, this becomes a little more relevant right now...

adze67 likes this.
  10. Tactile

Tactile Active Member

Good advice...unless the PO system gets hacked! Do you need to give a home address for parcel collect?

Real $ and BelfastChild like this.
  11. BelfastChild

BelfastChild Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had to give full details when I set up my PO account. However I now have a locker address and alternative parcel pick up address to supply sellers rather than personal details. I perseve the greater threat to be a stranger knowing my address and I store bullion there rather than a generic system hack.

Real $ and Tactile like this.
  12. MLP

MLP Active Member Silver Stacker

I always try to package precious metals into a box way bigger than it needs to be when I post stuff.

When bars of gold and silver are packed into a box only just big enough, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell from the weight it's either PMs or lead!!

Real $ and adze67 like this.
  13. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lunty's story should be a sticky on here. An SS member, the Guy had his life savings stolen and to this point not recovered....was big money.

Ask yourself how much metal you can afford to lose to theft and then go get a safety deposit box for a couple of hundred a year.

Never ever, ever store at home.

jultorsk and 66rounds like this.
  14. BillyB

BillyB New Member

Thanks GF, very helpful Information.
    Have signed up for parcel collect.

Less then a week old (interested) in stacking, desperately wanting to convert paper money to hard money.

Question now have is, when buying off this forum, how can I be sure am dealing with reputable seller ?
    First guess would be, only buy from Well-known Members, is there any other means of confirming sellers integrity?

GF likes this.
  15. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Question now have is, when buying off this forum, how can I be sure am dealing with reputable seller ?
    First guess would be, only buy from Well-known Members, is there any other means of confirming sellers integrity?

"Well known member" could mean that a member just posts a lot in the forum sections....does not confirm their status as a good seller or buyer.
    Read the members sales feedback. Take a note of the members that are selling the stuff you like and research their feedback prior to buying. That way you can pull the trigger on a deal without getting beaten to the punch. Start small. Ask sellers to leave you feedback as well...it is important to build your profile.
    I believe SS works on trust as there are not really any checks and balances in place. I always ask myself how many $$ can I afford to lose to trust/Australia Post before I buy. In saying that I have never been tricked, scammed or taken advantage of on this site.

16. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Great advice indeed. And can I add this: It is a really stupid idea to put your birth date on Facebook as visible so that all your friends get a reminder to wish you happy birthday. The majority of Facebook users have done this without thinking.

Your date of birth is the most fundamental of security questions and is gold for identity thieves.

And it doesn't stop there. You see those cute Facebook picture posts with a few hundred thousand replies that go something like: "Our cats and doggies are our best companions, especially when we were kids. What was your first furry friend called"?

Bingo. Now identity thieves know your DOB and the name of your first pet.

madaw1, Real $, GF and 3 others like this.
  17. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In days of the old - SS established members commented and challenged sales threads that were incongruous, inaccurate or down right suspicious, then the PC & fb crowd moved in got up in arms and virtue signaled their way to the site we have today.
    I remember being dragged over the coals on my first sale and challenged as to its authenticity, in retrospect it was community members looking after community members interests reducing scamming to an almost net zero result.
    Older members would regularly provide bonafide support for newer members who may have just joined but were well known outside SS.
    The stupidity with which a minority of traders here have in the past hijacked another Sellers Post publically to promote their own product or criticise pricing to further their own agenda has lead to the clamp down of commenting on other peoples sales posts.We all lost when that decision was made.
    There is nothing wrong with asking other members to endorse a seller a buyer has not personally dealt with, thats just seems due diligence.
    WSF Post should be a sticky

18. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Someone mentioned this, which I think is fair enough when you are conducting a trade.
    Swap phone numbers and an email mightn't be a bad idea if you are feeling a bit hesitant.
    Still no guarantee.
    Maybe set up a Facebook Account where we can trade between Members.
    Personally, I avoid Facebook like the plague.

I have never had a problem with any Trade going "AWOL" on Silver Stackers.
    Doesn't mean it can't happen.

Also agree about not sending items to a personal address.

19. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good point. Have been using PO Box for years for exactly this reason. They are even potentially tax deductable - mine is on my tax expense list each year.

Real $ likes this.
  20. Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What has been said previously, do what you can yourself to verify who you're dealing with is reputable - check out their trading history. This isn't completely foolproof of course, not everyone has a high rate of selling. But it's still the best way to see how great a percentage of positive feedback compared to negative (if any).

Additionally, anybody selling will go to PM and that should be another way to sound out whether or not they seem reliable - look at the manner in which they communicate with you and don't forget to verify yourself as well. In certain circumstances you may be asked to provide a photo of your licence (you may hold it and include your face as well), but realistically you can censor the personal information such as licence number and full address.

Also, use a mailing address that's not your residential address; there are several options. PO Box, parcel locker, parcel collect, have it sent to your work address if that's possible...
    Don't hesitate to include your phone number if you're asked, it usually works out to be easier to send and receive pictures of what you're buying or selling.

In essence, do your own research and if ever you feel there's something not quite right about the deal (perhaps not exactly 'too good to be true' because I know I've been offered those deals and I've made them myself as well), then you can ask further details and/or back out of the deal - although this may get you some negative feedback as a result.

Just keep yourself happy and safe, and you'll be fine. There's a good crowd on here and the community is basically self-governing to the extent of weeding out the bad apples.

Hopefully that helps a little.

markcoinoz, GF, BillyB and 1 other person like this.