2008 1 oz silver kookaburra

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Metal Messiah, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Metal Messiah

Metal Messiah Member

Good day fellow stackers,

Im a new stacker who only started recently, and slowly learning new things about coins, and trying to understand pricing behind different coins.

I recently saw post for a 2008 1oz silver kook listed for $80 (spot at time $34). Im trying to find out what makes this coin worth the extraa $$. Cant find anything on google other than the 2008 coins comencing the "P" mint mark. anything im missing here??

Also how should a stacker view koalas vs kooks. What is more desired (cost more) and how is it justified ?

Thoughts are appreciated.
    Cheers guys.

2. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most people agree it’s the best design kook, it’s the one people remember when they first see the series thus becomes a must have for all. They have a mintage of 300k just the same as most other kooks, how many people collet kooks or will do in the future I don’t know. This is when a bullion coin collects numismatic value & the price reflects demand.
    Much like the 2009 Lunar Ox or a 1930 Australian Penny.
    If the price is too high the item doesn’t sell, if underpriced it sells quick.
    Some things gain premium via age or even cultural reasons(Chinese coins go up/down with holidays, Xmas coins sell well in December), the China 2009 scalloped Lunar is rare because unknown group/s bought up big & continue to hold/slowsell.
    When you realise the premium ppl pay at Prouds or Zamels for GF items it’s absurd but that is the market reality.
    eBay is a horrible place but does give insight thru market data what the price pulse is like.
    I’d collect kooks over koala, simply because there are more in set, established followers & more attractive to my eye.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    SilverNGold and Silverling like this.
  3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And don't forget the 2008 Kookaburra design which was dated 2009, only 8,598 were minted.
    2009 Dated 2008 Kookaburra NGC MS 70 - Copy.JPG

jultorsk, Metal Messiah and STC like this.
  4. Metal Messiah

Metal Messiah Member

After looking more at the coin, i think i would agree that this is one of the nicer looking kooks. I like how it is low shine, and also the outer ring in the reverse is a bit unique to other kooks of the time. where the other kooks have the outer ring drawn using the dots, this (&2007) have the outer ring defined by sort of having two planes, which is nice and gives the coin a modern look.

Thanks for the info :)

Holdfast and STC like this.