Firearms as an investment

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by MousePad, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ozziestacka

ozziestacka New Member

Perhaps 80% lowers would be a good investment. I imagine they'd be cheap.

2. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good luck trying to find fresh 5.56mm (or compatiable .223) in any quantity.

I've had to start sourcing "re-manufactured" (i.e. mechanically reloaded) ammunition just to keep adding to my 5.56mm inventory.

Might have to consider stocking 7.62 NATO instead ; tempting to pick up a US-import IWI Tavor-7 just to see what all the fuss is about with bullpup designs.

3. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like the bull pups, have a kel tech ksg 12g and its compact and alot of fun, holds 15 shells.
    I bought my first AR during obongos reign and ammo was hard to find then too. Once ammo became available again I filled one of my sheds full so I have plenty stored.
    It took me a few years of stacking ammo for my different calibers but I got it done box by box.
    My son has been looking for some 45acp and 38 but not much luck unless you want to pay $2.50 a shot!

4. nickndfl

nickndfl New Member

Buy machine guns and ammo.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  5. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Or ended in jail

6. ricardos

ricardos New Member

I think that is a great niche for business.

7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I'm trying to remember if I deleted your first post just recently or not because it looked suss. I guess I'll find out.

adze67 likes this.
  8. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

I dont know if they are a great investment or not here in aus, but about 6months ago I bought a few percussion cap revolvers, a colt and a Dean Adams. thought they looked cool so bought them. ahaha
    you can buy antiques guns in qld including revolvers without a license, as long as the amo isnt commercially available. there is a collector market here in aus, But while owning a few I will admit have no idea if the market is big enough to make them really sort after here. Some states are easier to own collector firearms than others

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  9. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I understand the rationale behind that policy decision.

I've fired a loaned replica Springfield Model 1861 rifled musket, a modern reproduction of a design from the First American Civil War.

I asked the armorer/gunsmith what'd likely happen if someone tried to fire an antique rifled musket today?
    His reply was prefaced with "It would be an act of mother-f**kng insanity."

According to him any antique firearms (he defined that as anything pre-Great War) are more likely to suffer a catastrophic mechanical failure than discharge a round from the muzzle.

The most significant risk they pose is to the person who tries to fire them, not whomever the barrel happens to be pointed at.

10. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

In most cases that is likely the result lol
    But there are definitely people who use them, and clubs todo so, but unlicensed you arent allowed to from my understanding in Qld, if you intend to fire an antique firearm you then need a license as you cant buy the powders and other consumables.
    You would definitely have it tested on a clamp rig to test fire ahaha and have it vigorously inspected to make sure they are fine. definitely most you wouldn't want to shoot.
    The Dean Adams revolver I had was owned by a licensed hand gun owner and he used to fire it often. I certainly wont be doing that.lol
    I am a licensed gun owner, But I do not have a CatH license so I cannot own a newer Handgun. I would not be allowed to fire the antique ones I own, Doesn't really appeal tome todo it either.

11. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I remember training on the SLR in the army cadets. In my last year they were replaced with the M16.