Star dreaming coin series

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Silverdigger85, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Silverdigger85

Silverdigger85 Member

I was doing my daily scroll through videos on YouTube and came across this videos below on the star dreaming coin series from the Royal Australian Mint and I must say that the coins look amazing but the prices have since sky rocketed to around $150+ I was thinking about getting both coins but the prices are just to high for my liking.

Tin Can likes this.
  2. Tin Can

Tin Can Active Member

While it is a very well designed coin, the strong demand for this coin is odd.
    The first coin in the series Emu in the Sky seemed to have only moderate demand when released.
    Now both coins are selling for $150 - $300 each, yet the RRP was only $70 (0.5 oz).
    I doubt all the 5,000 minted coins for each release will be retained by collectors.
    I am guessing in 6 months time many will be selling each coin close to their RRP of $70.

Silverdigger85 likes this.
  3. Silverdigger85

Silverdigger85 Member

4. Tin Can

Tin Can Active Member

I cannot recall many RAM silver collector coins being a sellout at its eShop in recent years.

The 2018 Earth and Beyond - Earth (mintage 5,000), 2019 Echoes of Australian Fauna - Tassie Tiger (mintage 5,000) and the 2019 Mutiny and Rebellion - Mutiny on the Bounty (mintage 1,500) are the only sellout coins that come to mind.

But I think the hype with these 2 coins is similar to the silly prices being paid for RAM coloured $2 coins: the demand is not from collectors, but from "investors" who are looking for short-term profit.

And you can observe some of this mentality with the AC/DC 20 cent box set; it is still available at the RAM eShop for $110, but some eBay sellers are asking $180.

5. Silverdigger85

Silverdigger85 Member

I agree mate, its all just hype right now like the coloured $2 coins as you said. I collect coins but don't go crazy like some people and buy up everything like I have seen in some Facebook groups. If I like the coin then I buy it for my collection and not to make profits like we are seeing now days. To be honest its getting out of control when it comes to the coloured coins.