2020 Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Dec 8, 2019.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

we are close neighbour, mine slightly higher and a box to the left

mmm....shiney! and Markco2 like this.
  2. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm a lefty too. Pretty much the same as Ghandi. Which is unfortunate as I only found out the following information today -

Mahatma Ghandi was very frail from going on hunger strikes. He walked everywhere and had very calloused feet. He didn't brush his teeth much and had halitosis. You coud say he was a "Super Calloused Fragile Mystic with extra Halitosis

3. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Soviet communists were disgusting anti-semites as well. Just like the nazis.

4. TreasureHunter

So Gandhi was a leftist-libertarian :D

Where would Osho be? :D

I honestly would like to be off-graph. Somewhere outside in the FRESH AIR :D

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I reckon it'll be these types of questions that probably tip someone from the free-market side of the fence into the controlled economy side in this quiz. They're not as obvious as the questions around abortion, or possession of marijuana or even taxation, they're more subtle in their examination of the social and economic values we hold.

I voted 'strongly agree'. From my perspective successful businesses are successful mainly because they meet consumer demand better than their opposition. Now of course some businesses leaders are unscrupulous, but the reason why say Jeff Bezos or Ray Kroc are/were so successful is because they have made millions of people around the world happy. Bezos and Kroc actually enhanced the wealth of their customers, and in so doing, made themselves a lot of money.

So from my perspective (and the perspective of many other ancaps) is that generally, what's good for the most successful corporations is good for most of us because they're in the business of giving us what we want. :)

Bullion Stax likes this.
  6. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What in your opinion should drive innovation? or put another way, the motivation to give people what they don’t know they want?

Eh, I only needed another minute to think about it. Obviously competition and consumer insights to screen whether there is a market or not.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

and there’s the profit incentive. :)

8. TreasureHunter

Hotel industry going down, down, down... some are suggesting that many hotels will be transformed into "something else", like homes etc.
    I expect the same with office spaces... gosh, Mahattan, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Sydney, London, Hong Kong, Singapore... will be all affected

9. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You know I was passing by the Marina Bay sands a month or so ago, and a lot of hotel rooms lights were lit up, so I was wondering where the people came from since there are no tourists. They were filled with local people. Unbelievable but it's true.

In Singapore, there's a concept of staycation, people just booked hotel rooms and imagine themselves to be on a vacation. When you live on a small island with nowhere to go, it's fun even to stay in a hotel room.

https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2020/06/str-hotels-struggle-with-may-lows/

Mainland China
    Occupancy: -33.7% to 45.2%
    ADR: -24.5% to CNY342.78
    RevPAR: -50.0% to CNY155.03

Singapore
    Occupancy: -8.8% to 71.5%
    ADR: -62.5% to SGD95.44
    RevPAR: -65.8% to SGD68.20

Jislizard, Karoi and mmm....shiney! like this.
  10. sgbuyer

Crazy crowds in the malls. Video was taken late Aug. I can tell you the crowds have increased by at least 20-30% since the video was taken.

11. TreasureHunter

The currently unfolding crisis will dreadfully affect certain countries:

UAE: office spaces, hotels, financial institutions occupy all those skyscrapers... the country will be hit hard (the country's airlines are cutting jobs and less tourists are arriving, but they still have oil! ...which is nowadays "too cheap")

Malta: tourism drives the economy... primarily... besides fishing, sea transport, some finance... so it's dreadful for Malta

Spain: tourism is a vital part of the economy, but they also have a strong industry, while transportation also plays an important role in the economy (tourism and transportation have already declined)

Thailand: the car industry and tourism drives the Thai economy (besides food production, microelectronics, finances etc.), so if less cars are made and less tourists visit Thailand, then what?

Singapore: tourism, office real estate, transportation all affected

Panama: all those shiny skyscrapers with expensive office space, the sea transportation (of course)... all that to go way down in a country that has almost nothing else to offer besides bananas

How are your countries affected?

12. TreasureHunter

Really? Locals stay there?

I remember when I was there on top of the hotel. Didn't stay at Marina Bay Sands, just admired the views from up there. :D

13. sgbuyer

Locals and foreigners working here. 60% or more of working people are foreigners.

14. sgbuyer

Aerospace is badly hit with layoffs. Air travel has been reduced but there are still flights to Chinese and Indian cities. Office real estate won't be badly affected as there was a severe shortage prior to the pandemic. The same with hotels, they would recover very quickly. Singapore has very few tourist class hotel rooms hence the ridiculous room rates. The hotels in HK are cheaper in comparison, lots of options. Airbnb is also illegal here so hotels are like oligopolies. No one is losing rent from no tourists.

Manufacturing is doing well with increase in exports over prior year year to date. It's quite a feat if we consider that aerospace and shipyard, oil rig manufacturing are down, which means that pharma and electronics are up big time, double digit growth. I've know quite a couple of people working in manufacturing, they are complaining of the overtime and factories are operating at full workforce capacity.

So far, I've not heard of anyone lost their job, or any business having to close but pay cuts are common, it appears that even companies profiteering from the pandemic are cutting pay! At the moment, you won't know that there's a pandemic or recession if you come to Singapore, the malls are packed with crowds and dinners, but everyone wearing masks. I was out last weekend, I've never seen so many people outside dining and shopping.

Of course things could change if there's a financial crisis.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  15. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We sent 100 people home today for mandatory testing, I’m not allowed back into the building till my result. I can tell you how it effects me - I’ll still get the job done but I’ll be twice as mad and twice as tired. My consumption of goods goes down as balanced (not) lifestyle suffers.

16. sgbuyer

Biggest financial news of the month that MSM don't report.
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/evergrande-faces-crisis-confidence-over-061449102.html

A home builder that makes electric cars?
    https://www.scmp.com/business/marke...ectric-car-unit-raise-us516-million-least-six

Imagine buying a unit a month ago and it's now 12% cheaper.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/china-evergrande-discount-idUSL4N2G40PZ

Meanwhile, back home.
    https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/pro...-sales-in-august-highest-since-september-2019

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/manpower/suntec-singapore-retrenches-85-employees-with-events-suspended-since-april
    SINGAPORE - Nearly half of the employees of Suntec Singapore Convention and Exhibition Centre (Suntec Singapore) have been retrenched amid the ongoing decimation of the meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions (MICE) industry.

The venue said on Thursday (Aug 27) the 85 workers, consisting of 60 Singaporeans and permanent residents and 25 foreign staff members, were employed in food production, sales and events, human resources, and finance.

With the retrenchment exercise, Suntec Singapore will have a remaining workforce of 89 local staff and four foreign staff.
    Hotels were used to house those people coming back with their 14 days stay for at least > 2 months
    so they were occupied and not vacant
    Government pay subsidy 75% for below 4.6k https://www.straitstimes.com/politi...nnounced during,those in tourism and aviation.
    small cash hand out here and there
    hope the number of daily infections remains < 20

18. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Things look good and busy here in colorado.
    Tons of tourists and the hunters are coming in now.
    We are having a hard time finding hotels to stay at for work because it's so busy, like a normal summer.
    Everything seems pretty normal as far as that goes.
    I've noticed alot of vehicles for sale along the highways more than usual. I see them everywhere now.
    It seems weve recovered quite well and everyone is doing good again.
    Back to the good old days of strongest economy in history and cheap silver!

We had a few businesses close on main street but they have been reopened by others already.

sgbuyer likes this.
  19. sgbuyer

I bought a little US hotel REIT a month ago for fun, prices went up a little and down again. After seeing your post, might add a little more. The pandemic is only temporary, will be over by 4th Nov.

20. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What's Nov 4th?