2020 Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Dec 8, 2019.

1. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had casualties in my family line due to WWII Japanese occupation. My grandma hate Japanese people and dislike the British. Singapore had suffered quite a lot during WWII, as it was targeted, being a military base for the British empire. Japanese people generally obey instructions from the top and are not any more brutal than other races. Of course, there's a tendency to go to extremes in their culture, which is why balance of power is important. You don't want any country to weld too much power.

As the saying goes, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

2. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Yes yes i know history of ww2 and singapore and like most australians also had family fight the japs in ww2 even the germans, but guess what? Those wars were won many decades ago.
    Again this is not 1942
    Right now japan are far better allies trust wise than the chinese,
    And the way the chinese treat the Japs, they should be let of their leash

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

ours did not fight the Jap, they beheaded them
    China is not Oz allies, why do you expect them to serve you?

4. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

China doesnt have to serve any one, i never said china needs to serve any one, they just dont need tobe cunts who want to take over the world, they should stay in their little over populated peice of land and be reasonable to their neighbours and the rest of the world.

And singapore isnt safe from china, so dont get confused as to where you guys would end up if china went to war.
    Singapore is part of the FPDA lol

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  5. alor

yeah, father Earth has no place here, on the the mother with a cunt has her place right here

6. sgbuyer

In the 1960s, there was a red movement in schools in south east asia, many went over to China to support the "revolution", but were later imprisoned for being sons of bourgeoisie and those who made it alive were later expelled. Many went to HK as they couldn't return to their original countries. Ideology and cultural appeal is just a front, the reality is it's just a struggle for absolute power.

7. alor

But today Soekarno is right, Soeharto was proven wrong
    It was wrong to give the Nationalist China a permanent member at the UN, but that right did not remain with Taiwan, The People Republic claimed the UN seat, the way the USSR deliver their seat to Russia
    the plan failed and back fired after long time of planning lol

8. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

A more fair UN could also include the following countries as permanent members:
    Germany, Japan, India, Brazil, Turkey, Spain, Italy, Mexico, South Korea, Thailand

Mexico and Turkey are major regional powers with tremendous influence.
    South Korea is a somewhat smaller, but still very important industrial power in comparison to Japan.
    No-one should omit Italy and Spain from Europe as major regional powers. Their importance is primarily cultural, but somewhat industrial as well and if we think of Spain, it has a powerful influence when it comes to Latin American countries.

Why Thailand?
    It's the greatest power down there in Southeastern Asia (considering tourism, military, its notoriety as a popular culture, major car industry player, very important food producer, so it's a key country in Southeastern Asia).

Other countries to consider including as a 3rd group:
    Australia, The Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Hungary, Greece, Israel, Switzerland, Singapore, South Africa, Canada, Indonesia...

9. TreasureHunter

I wonder what would happen, how things would work out if the current permanent members of the UN changed seats with the following countries:

Suriname, Malawi, Swaziland, Bhutan, Togo, Kiribati, Trinidad-Tobago :D

Perhaps it would be a more peaceful world.

10. sgbuyer

Actually, I think Vietnam will exceed Thailand within 20 years. The Vietnamese along with the Korean people are the most enterprising and hardworking people in East Asia. If North Korea can open up, a unified Korea itself will be very formidable and will be a major economic powerhouse. In this respect, I'm actually with Jim Rogers. :D

Shaddam IV likes this.
  11. alor

its not about fair, its about their say at that time, just like a club
    Israel had not submit their boundary yet, so it is being in process of being a member, but not yet

12. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Japan has grown so much that it's never reached its market highs from the 80s and hasnt grown since. Now that's a strong country I'd say. They are doing great.
    Maybe 40 years ago they were stronger.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  13. TreasureHunter

Certainly in the 1980's-1990's Japan was stronger.
    Now their population is dwindling as well and they're growth is more like "sideways trading".

South Korea has gained more strength. They were a lot lower 30 years ago.

I remember people laughing at China back in the 1990's at the sight of thousands of bicycle riders in Beijing at other things. Now it's a different story.

Tremendous natural resources are needed in order to propel China and India higher, but this in the age of Corona, global economic crisis, "mad ecologists", "carbon footprint", "low emission", minimalism (trendy nowadays) etc. ... it'll be a lot harder.

The western colonial powers not only collected resources for "free" from their colonies, but they also destroyed their "frenemies" like Germany and kept Russia "at a safe distance", so that they can have their "safe space" to grow. All of that is now over.

The competition for resources is tighter, the planet is more crowded and there will be far more frictions in the future. See: Turkey vs. Greece/Cyprus/France in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Regardless, the collapse of the western colonial powers is happening. While everyone is predicting the demise of the US as a global hegemonic empire, one could notice the weakening position of the UK as well.

France: remains to be seen, but perhaps they were more influential in the 1980's.

Germany could gain more strength, but where I see a powerful momentum for growth is Turkey. Of course, wanting and trying is one thing, but achieving it is a lot harder.

Turkey too is being boycotted all around. Similarly to China.

14. alor

^the solution is simple, if your money is gold, people everywhere would look into your face and smile, they take gold
    if you want support, you need to have mountains of breads, people would believe the lies of Dajjal for that bread

15. sgbuyer

Japan doesn't even need to do the heavy lifting. They just need to do what they are best at, build real fighting machines, instead of making imaginary toy robots.

[​IMG]

Shaddam IV likes this.
  16. JohnnyBravo300

I do love my Subaru all wheel drive cars! Between toyota and subaru, I'm surprised the American companies can sell anything at all.
    You're lucky to get 50k out of a chevy before needing to replace major components.
    Both my subarus are at 300k and are road trip worthy.

Golden Stash and Shaddam IV like this.
  17. alor

cars are built to be melted down
    so the European cars and Japanese cars took over the USA streets
    Japan is free to move out of China, but they can not sell their cars that are made outside China
    the rule of the game is simple
    German made their cars in Russian factories for Russian market, where is the US sanction going to be applied lol
    now the US is playing Novichok 2.0, by air lifting a Russian into Germany and labeling it Novichok 2.0, after the Skripal case
    in order to play Germany vs Russia to hinder Nord Stream 2.0

18. sgbuyer

A lot has to do with branding. Their stuff is a lot better than people think they are but for some reason they don't publicise it much so only the smart practical buyers will use their products.

Japanese cars till today are considered cheap cars in Singapore. Even Lexus, which is probably the best car in the world is seen only as a semi-luxury brand. Seiko makes the best mechanical watches, they supply to Swiss watch makers that sell watches using Japanese movements for thousands of dollars but Seiko mechanical watch cost only $100-$200.

European made cars consume a lot of fuel, and break down frequently with expensive replacement parts but people still pay a fortune for them because they are seen as status symbol.

From the point of view of a business, making a car that doesn't break down is bad business because you can make more money from selling parts and services. The Japanese aren’t good business people. Good business people make things that don’t last long and cost a fortune to repair and replace.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  19. JohnnyBravo300

I've always dreaded working on euro cars but jap stuff is so much simpler and easier, not to mention the price differences.
    I'm pretty sold on subarus after years of having them and many hard winters with lots of snow.
    Much of the euro cars I've messed with are greatly over engineered and it seems like whatever works good for other manufacturers, they like to do the opposite.
    It just creates higher prices and more overall problems with reliability.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. sgbuyer

Europe's real competitive advantage is in semiconductors, 5G (Finland/Sweden) and industrial engineering. So ironically, Europe actually faces an existential competition issue from Asian manufacturing in less than 10 years. Trump's trade war has actually accelerated the process by spurring Chinese companies to source domestic.

Software, Cloud stuff and AI, which is more difficult to copy and reverse engineer, will still be dominated by Silicon Valley for much longer.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020