Packaging How to by Existing members

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by REDBACK, Aug 11, 2020.

1. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wanted to put this in General Discussions but a lot of New members don't yet have access to the members only section and this is where their exposure is the greatest.Admins,Pull whenever required.
    I get asked a lot about how to package items as i'm sure a lot of other long term members do so i'm making it a picture fest of what works.
    These are 2 deliveries which were both packaged professionally.
    Please members add your own pics of good packaging and any tips for Newbies

SELLER#1

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    SELLER#2
    1a.jpg 2a.jpg 4a.jpg 5a.jpg 6a.jpg 10.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Silvermonkey, Eonaus, beamer and 20 others like this.
  2. Investing for kids

Investing for kids Well-Known Member

Had a recent encounter with an amazing packager, don't have pictures but spent most of my unboxing video on my channel unwrapping it :D
    I have a feeling it was the same sender as sender #1, similar packaging, very well done

danman49 likes this.
  3. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

You can do all that then austpost sends it on a trip around the country.

Sent an express satchel this time last week. 300km total journey required within QLD.

It's currently in $%&king Melb. WTF!

Maybe they sent it to Melb to claim covid delay?

4. Investing for kids

Yeah I had an express envelope being sent from WA and it took a week to get here in Melb. So much for next day guarantee. Imagine what thisll be like when its back to normal again, next day sounds like a dream

danman49 and Ag bullet like this.
  5. ToDaMoon

ToDaMoon Active Member Silver Stacker

This is my method of packing

1. no clinking. I'll add paper to tubes so that they don't rattle around. Unfortunately doesn't work with capsules so well. Loose coins get folded between paper. ie paper folded then another on top or next to and folded again and again. Then I tape that before I start wrapping!
    2. wrapping 1. Smaller items I pack out to a certain size or put them into a package that belies what is inside
    3. wrapping 2. Then comes the bubble wrap. Some of it to reduce the sound of clinking if the items are capsules. Some of it to bulk out the package so it doesn't slip between the "cracks"

It doesn't take much. For me it's not so much for protection but for disguising what is inside from eyes or ears!

Ivykoin, REDBACK and danman49 like this.
  6. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If I'm sending a kilo coin I also add a styrofoam brick to each side as a minimum, last thing you want after paying that much for a silver coin is a cracked capsule.

7. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

One other safety measure is to ALWAYS add the same sellers and buyers information to the packaging INSIDE the satchel. It takes only a couple of minutes extra to add the addresses to the box or packaging you put around the item. BUT if the outside satchel (or even box) splits then instead of an unaddressed and therefore pretty well lost item you might still have a chance of it being delivered.

8. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

@ ToDaMoon,Revils,Danman49
    Some Awesome ideas above!
    Love to get some pics from you guys!
    Any more methods of Packaging,posting & relevant sending tips.
    Can anyone provide a Australia Post pricing Guide and cheapest method of sending everything from 1 gram items to 5kg items, would be great.
    RB

danman49, Ivykoin and Boyscout like this.
  9. Investing for kids

May not be the most knowledgable person on the topic but what I am saying is all fact, it may not be the very best way.
    Very low weight (1gm-10gm) probably best in a regular envelope, $1.10 stamps, packaged to best of ability with the thickness restrainsts
    Low weight, small items like 1oz pieces or old coinage (florins, shillings, sixpence) are best in C5 express envelopes for fast delivery ($7.45), otherwise, parcel post which is a bit more expensive, $8.95 with flat rate.
    Medium is sorted with the satchels, which you can buy these 'flat rate satchels' at 25c each and put stamps on depending on your prefered speed/weight.
    500g Small Express $11.95, regular is $8.95
    500g-1kg Medium is also with satchels, express $15.70 and regular $12.20
    1kg-3kg Large Express is $19.35 and regular $15.35
    3kg-5kg Extra Large Express is $25.50 and regular $18.50
    Hope this helps, this is all only the postage cost, I do not account for the actually packaging cost, like the satchel, just the stamp cost.
    Signature on delivery is an extra $2.95
    These don't come with tracking though (I think), which in my opinion is not good at all, so id personally opt for the pre paid satchels, express small at $12.20 rather than $11.95, you are just including the satchel price and getting tracking with it so that's my favourite
    Hope this helps

10. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

Always send your item with tracking. Trust me on this one ;)

11. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would have been very easy to write a whinge post about piss poor packaging, but you chose to go positive. Thanks mate.

Chad Valiant, MLP, adze67 and 7 others like this.
  12. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't have any photos handy but another simple/obvious tip is to save all the packaging you get from other things - the Amazon books ones are good cut up for coins - cut it up to coin size then tape it up, then cut it up again to match the first wrapped layer and tape it up again - then put that in a padded envelope. Cardboard is also useful for coins with capsules, tape it to the cardboard so the caps can't touch each other. If I run out of cardboard I use wine boxes etc.

13. ToDaMoon

ToDaMoon Active Member Silver Stacker

At the moment with Australia Post, every prepaid satchel is up to 5kg regardless of size (Parcel and Express).

I don't think I'd send off anything worth more than 50.00 any other way. It comes with tracking and I usually will ask for SOD as well. I've heard some say that SOD is not being adhered to, but it's good to know there is something at the other end perhaps protecting the buyer if someone does sign (not that sigs are legible!)

Tracking is imperative. I sort of treat it like ebay and paypal. If the item isn't tracked and it's lost then really its back on you unless you state otherwise to the buyer.

Early in ebay days where I sent a router without tracking after selling on ebay. The customer claimed it never arrived and it still bites be that I'm not sure he didn't just scam me.

If I sent something under 50.00 without tracking I'd live with the loss I think.

danman49, Ivykoin, REDBACK and 2 others like this.
  14. oziwassabi

oziwassabi Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Also, don't be scared to tape the outside of the auspost parcels/boxes paying particular attention to the corners and flaps/openings.

Makes it hard for auspost to claim parcel "opened" during transit and items fell out (even though inside was super wrapped as per above)

15. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The cheapest way to send 1 or 2 coins with tracking and signature is around $6.

I buy strong bubble padded envelopes from ebpackaging on ebay. I buy them in bulk (100 or 200) and the cost is .16c a piece. I also buy a box of 50 Registered Post Prepaid Labels, this gives you a discount and works out at $3.60 per unit.

Place the coin in a plastic zip lock bag and tape the coins in between some foam packaging flat into some cardboard and then fold and staple the cardboard shut. Place into the envelope.

Postage is $2.20
    Registered Label $3.60
    Envelope .16c
    Sticky tape and in between some flexible cardboard .10c
    Total = ~$6

It's within Australia Posts guidelines and it is very strong and I have never had anyone complain about a cracked capsule. Here are a couple of photos.
    20200811_175838a.jpg
    20200710_085134 (2).jpg
    20200717_080501a_LI.jpg

adze67, beamer, 1for1 and 7 others like this.
  16. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Unless it's a PO BOX I always put a SOD on it. Even though Australia Post are saying that they sign for the customer during COVID-19 they are still not suppose to be dropping the parcel at the door if no one is home. With SOD the item is suppose to be carded and transported to the LPO and the recipient then goes with the card to collect it. It seems Bullion Now is right on to this and go a step further. They put this sticker on my parcel saying the following:
    20200811_184136.jpg

17. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Shout out to @danman49. Just rec'd a package from this member for the 10oz bars and coin I bought over the weekend. Packed along the lines of this thread and yep, mine and his name and contact details on inside of package!! :)

As an aside, the postal gods must have been smiling on us as it took under 24 hrs from posting in Adelaide to rec'g in Sydney today. :eek::eek::eek:

18. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like to use padded Jiffy bags, small to big and as many as I can use before it won’t fit in a satchel. usually just tape the inner ones so they can be reused and as tight as possible. Costs go up a bit but you won’t get damage.

Silverling, danman49 and REDBACK like this.
  19. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Padding serves 3 purposes
    1. - protects your item from impact
    2. - reduces the sound that may come from coins in capsules rattling
    3. - provides camouflage for the item in the package, small and heavy often = expensive but it looks less so when padded up plus they cant feel the item to figure out what's in it.

another trick I use is when I pack carded items I note "#photos inside, please do not bend#" to discourage posties forcing it into boxes

Ivykoin, Silverling, danman49 and 3 others like this.
  20. Gazza79

Gazza79 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just sent a 10oz bar out with a few coins and I started by wrapping the bar first with bubble wrap a few times then the coins on top with the hole thing wrapped again with bubble wrap then put in a small padded bag yet again lined with bubble wrap then into the express post sachal.

Can't have enough bubble wrap lol