"This time it's different". Maybe this time it is. The case for strong hands?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shaddam IV, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It looks increasingly like our civilisation has once again driven off the edge of the map and that a lot of things are going to change, and change a lot. National economies descending into un-recoverable debt, social division along idealogical lines within Western countries that will never reconcile, mass unemployment, a media class that have abandoned journalism and replaced it with narrative and the growing dominance of AI over our lives as it shapes the emotional and intellectual experience of device addicted youth.

Rock and roll is dead. The tourism industry is toast, live entertainment and mass gatherings may not recover for many years, the hospitality industry has cratered and the airline industry is on it's knees. People are terrified of a flu and the media make sure that they stay that way.

China is preparing for war and America is preparing to oblige.

And the biggest one of all: The US presidential election this year.

It may indeed be reasonable to say "This time it's different".

So as we watch silver rise once again so rapidly it begs the question "is this like the last time where silver rises high and then falls just as rapidly into a decade of doldrums when the GFC was the trigger event"? Or is this indeed the time that many of us feared where silver will be pulled up along with it's buddy gold onto a whole new price plateau for a long time into the future because this time things really are shaping up to be very, very serious. This is not going to rapidly resolve into another boom time as it did after the GFC. This event is only just beginning and it is going to get intense.

After that long winded intro I ask the questions: Silver is rapidly rising and it's a great time to sell and take profit. But we are at the very beginning stages of a vast societal upheaval that will be tumultuous for at least 5 years. This looks to me to be a textbook time for the Strong Hand. Who is going to be brave and to hold? Who is going to get out and take some profit? What's your strategy as we enter a chaos state?

jultorsk and STKR like this.
  2. bretto

bretto Active Member

Metals should be your insurance in these sordid times.
    Dont invest money you cant afford to loose.
    Just my opinion of course.

paruwka, Shaddam IV and STKR like this.
  3. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can only speak for myself but I wouldn't be trading out of silver into fiat if I had silver right now. Would definitely be trading back into gold and any excess into other useful supplies. Come November we may just see fiat about as useful as toilet paper.

4. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Ive been saving a bunch of cash to buy a block of land and build a holiday home on it, no banks involved, buy it outright, im on target with my plans which is $30k short at this point, and my target was be till this time next year Id have the rest saved for that.
    If I was to sell right now my entire stack id be buying the f'n thing next week and adding another bedroom to the plans.

f'n tempting todo that and
    if shit hits the fan as some say it will, well the family and I will watching from it all unfold from my block on an island in moreton bay lol.
    my hands are getting weaker the more I even think about that.

5. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd do it.

Revils, Shaddam IV, ozcopper and 2 others like this.
  6. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Land trumps metals ten times mate. Get her done.

Revils, Shaddam IV and wrcmad like this.
  7. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Once again fear takes flight to the two best known true money forms gold and silver. Flicking fiat at silver has been an enjoyable past time for me over the years. Have a plan and stick to it

Shaddam IV, ozcopper and 66rounds like this.
  8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

we have a decade of bull market in front of us, it has run for the last twenty years since 2000
    back then, gold always sold out at the bank, it could only get worst as supply chain are broken, buried in paper money
    disaster are large in scale, explosion is big, flood was huge

hope the rise is phenomenal as well

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    66rounds likes this.
  9. mongrelmaple

mongrelmaple Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For me, stacking came about as a way to save money! Money that I’d eventually use to buy my own house (at least the deposit for it)

While prices are very encouraging right now, and I’m in the black on 100% of my total stack (I’ve only been doing it 2 years, so got to load up at super low prices :D), I certainly wouldn’t swap back to cash now to buy property. Especially with that sector almost certainly heading south as soon as stimulus and building grants dry up.

Now it’s all about having an educated guess to sell as high of spot as possible, while property is towards the bottom. That’s the challenge. But for now my hands are firmly holding on.

JS1880, oziwassabi, ozcopper and 3 others like this.
  10. bretto

bretto Active Member

Rural acreages are going up in price. And value

wrcmad, Shaddam IV and 66rounds like this.
  11. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

I own my home outright and i want to own a modest 2 bedroom holiday home outright, Personally I couldnt care less if house prices drop lol.
    The only investment I consider my house as being is I dont have to pay rent, didnt have to pay a cent of mortgage repayments and my family isnt living on the street no matter how bad things got, thats enough of an investment for me when it comes to house ownership. Im oldschool
    So on that level makes it very easy to save money, not because im rich which im not but because im not losing half my paycheck each week to bank repayments.
    I would not take a cent of credit out at the best of times, I certainly wouldnt be taking out a mortgage right now So I agree with you on that.

selling my silver in 2011 afforded me to buy my first business, which I later sold and along with savings my partner and I bought our house outright.
    Silver is a great saving means, but selling it at the right time is key to get a return on your investment, other wise there is no point even having it if you plan to never sell it when prices are up.

the point is dont be afraid to use your silver assets for other things or as a spring board to other things, you can buy back in, thats what I did after 2011

12. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are stackers here that have held for 10 years, whats another 10 or 20 years or passing it on down the family line? I think this is as strong as it gets.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  13. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'll take the profits on stocks and hold the metal

14. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally I'm holding or converting to gold cuz theres nothing I really need.
    I could see selling to buy another asset such as a business or another income producing asset but that's about it and not something I'd do right now, not cheap enough yet till more go out of business.
    I need a backhoe but I'm saving cash for that and waiting for the fire sales. I've got nothing but time.
    We have a long way to go still, need patience now more than ever.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  15. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bought my stack when prices were cheaper and I bought a bit more than I really wanted. So I am selling some of my stack and "cleaning up" my portfolio. This is the time to sell those bits and pieces you are not too happy about and tidy up your holdings. There could be even better times to do that but then again it could all just fall back again with the sharemarket when the next wave of selling occurs. So a bit of prudent selling now might be a good idea.

Jason1, SilverDJ, wrcmad and 2 others like this.
  16. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Depends what you are going to do with that fiat.
    Now is a great time to start a business for example, arguably no better time.
    Still not such a great time to buy income producing assets like property, but opportunities exist there too.
    Remember, metal does not produce any income or pay interest, you are effectively betting 100% on the price rising and staying high at the time you want/need to sell.

Jason1, Silverling and 66rounds like this.
  17. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it's becoming a good time to consider selling any numi's, kooks, and other high premium stuff.

JS1880, Shaddam IV and Silverling like this.