Inflation figures coming out today

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Jason1, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

the inflationary figures Are expected to show a reversal in cpi, and so we are experiencing deflation.
    To most its Hardly surprising. But its been some time since we last saw deflation.

My landlord for my shop is going to have a shock when i call for my rent reduction like many other business owners will be doing , seeing many commercial rental agreements are tied to
    Cpi.
    So its Likely worth checking your agreement, bloody nice not seeing an increase in rent for once. Shame everything else is so buggered up.

Figures for average Rental prices in housing and commercial is expected to be showing those getting cheaper aus wide and likely to continue.
    Good for renters bad for investors.
    Will be interesting to see how much of a percentage it will be

Ps sorry for any spelling and grammer errors, im on ipad with fat fingers

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Holdfast, slavaja and STKR like this.
  2. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Renters are KING! I've seen vendors bending over rent prices because of piled-up mortgages.... Who told these 'losers' to piled-up on mortgage debts?! Banks... Then govts on negative gearings...
    Welldone ScoMo! We're the DEBT nation!

heartastack likes this.
  3. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

yeah heard it on the radio earlier. they kept calling it 'negative inflation'. i thought to myself, 'just call it deflation you idiots'

precious roar, slavaja, leo25 and 2 others like this.
  4. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I havent heard about that too much in the states yet but prices for groceries are rising alot.
    Some areas will experience inflationary prices while real estate and others will have deflation.
    We are seeing both so far.

5. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Cpi figures have retail grocery prices as a collective marginally cheaper, but not so much that many would notice.
    Obviously different countries will have different things effected by either deflation or inflation.
    Australias cpi dropped by 1.9% the biggest drop in recorded history, putting it at negative 0.3%
    Things like child care which has been prety much government funded due to covid measures, that is one of the biggest drops, and allot of families would notice that one in their bugdet.
    Rental prices and rental competition is one of the big ones and that is aus wide decline on prices, so there will likely be a fair few renegotiations happening when leases are due for renewal.
    Appliances have gone down.
    petrol prices have been down average 19.3% so thats a big contributer to the decline, which woukd have the aditional effect on groceries due to transport costs and so on.

One would suspect rentals both homes and commercial would continue for some time to be a casualty especially with the record un-employment and closure of businesses, going tobe getting harder and harder for landlords to find tennants able to afford rents in both those sectors, regional and city

JohnnyBravo300 likes this.
  6. JohnnyBravo300

Yep lots of empty spaces soon.
    Our fuel has been going up some but nothing crazy. Mostly just can be seen in food prices so far here.

7. Ag bullet

you reckon transport passes on the savings? o_O

still costs the same to send a pallet of tomatoes to sydney

8. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Yer i wouldnt imagine transport companies putting down their prices right now.
    But i do know a few farmers, i know of at least two who transport their own goods.
    One transports thier own chickens from their farms and the other transports their own cattle. They are both pretty big farms.
    I'll have a yarn to them in the next few days and see how much fuel prices have been effecting their prices.
    Our area is a beef,chicken, dairy, strawberry, and pineapple farming area.
    Another mate of mine has a strawberry farm but the big supermarkets come and collect from them directly. If i remember woolworths even sends the farm the tranpost costs to come pickup the strawbs from them. I bet those costs woolworths charging to pickup the strawbs hasnt gone down. Woothworths are fuckers to farmers. Ive heard of a number of farms who stopped selling to woolworths as it was more profitable to shrink the farm and not deal with them at all.
    Im guessing it would depend on the industry and who is transporting the goods.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    kilo and Ag bullet like this.
  9. Ag bullet

woolworths and coles are assholes to farmers.

nothing for them them to reject a B double of produce because of some BS reason only to then buy the same stuff out of the wholesale market because of a price drop on the wholesale market below the contract price to the farmer.

Jason1 likes this.
  10. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

But a godsend to consumers at the same time. :)

11. JohnnyBravo300

Same with walmart. People tell me I should hate them and I can understand why people do, but my dollar goes further there and I'm tight like that.
    I can afford to stop for a pizza and a 12 pack on the way home, or just get it all at walmart and support the business that supports the working man.

12. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Very true about them rejecting an entire truck for shit reasons.
    a few years back i went over to his packing shed to pick up a few punnets for my self.
    While i was there a woolworths truck backed up to the ramp and unloaded a full truck of strawbs.
    They were returned because one crate of punnets had a few stickers off centre.
    I ended up going home at 10pm, as i stayed around and helped him unpack, check, and rewrap 30 od pallets of strawbs for any more.
    And There wasnt any more off centre stickers, the poor bastard was shitting bricks as he couldnt dump that much fruit because 6 punnets in one box had stickers slightly off center. He had to pay wollies a fee for the return of the truck.
    The farm also gets charged when a woolworths truck is stuck waiting tobe unloaded in woolthorths own warehouse he was saying lol, how bullshit is that, a farm being fined for woolworths not unloading their own trucks fast enough.
    They are arseholes

I dont shop there, our local owned iga has better prices and is bigger than our local woolies any way. Doesnt have self serve check outs like wollies either which is good. It employs more people in the store

13. mattyman174

mattyman174 Active Member

Thats disgusting behavior from Woolies/Coles.

I wonder how picky they will be when real scarcity starts to hit.

14. OneDay

OneDay Active Member Silver Stacker

There's rumors Coles is considering purchase restrictions for Brisbane.

15. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Now if everyone was like you then the big supermarkets could not do what they do. The issue is not the big supermarkets, the issues is the consumers. Can’t blame companies that reflect what the consumers want.

Now if we live in communist China then we can blame the system.

kilo and Jason1 like this.
  16. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

People are stupid, there is a bloody big avacado farm on the road every one would drive past to get to woolies, in our area.
    A few years ago woolies was selling avo's for $5 each saying there was shortage, but the avo farm who also sells to woolies, has a stand on the side of the road was selling bags of avos for $5 lol.
    And 800m up the road people in woollies were fighting tooth and nail to get one for $5. Lol because they watched accurant afair the night before where woolies was saying how their was an avocado shortage. So as a result people started getting fomo, and buying at stupid prices but Forgetting there is a farm in the same town with a stand selling them for $5 a bag that they drove past on their way to woolies ahaha.
    Consumers are stupid

Im not even sure why any one in our area would even buy much of their fruit from woolies.
    There are about half a dozan various side of the road fruit and veg stands straight off the bloody farm and half the price.
    The farmer rocks up with his tractor each morning with a big crate of freshly picked fruit and drops it at the stand, drives away and bingo, cheap fruit for sale. But then idiots drive past it and buy the same fruits weeks older likely from the same farm for twice the price lol.
    Gotta love the stupidity of consumers

Ag bullet, SilverSurfer77 and leo25 like this.
  17. OneDay

Theres a Coles Supermarket in Adelaide where the entire carpark has well maintained Rosemary Bushes as the dividers in the carpark as well as surounding the entire shopping centre.

The same shop sells 'fresh' cut Rosemary for $7 for a couple of twigs.

Ag bullet, leo25 and Jason1 like this.
  18. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Thats pretty funny ahaha
    Best thing i read all day

19. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Norwood ?

20. OneDay

Close. Firle.

leo25 likes this.