Getting coins NGC-slabbed: worth it?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by TreasureHunter, Jun 24, 2020.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Hi,

I kept contemplating whether it's worth or not to get a number of more special coins slabbed by NGC.
    Normally people send them in by mail (usually you'd have to sign up for a membership for certain benefits) and they'd evaluate the coins and send them back to you.

I personally think it's worth especially if your coins are at least MS65, I think.

Has any of you ever had coins slabbed by NGC? What experiences have you had?

The service does cost, but how much did it cost you per coin?

2. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Depending on the coin you want to slabbed. If the coin is so dear to you or some important history attached on it, slabbing is a good idea.
    Depending on what type of coins, check price value if slabbing can gain something. Be practical not emotional.

Abt 25-30usd/per coin including all expenses, handling, shipping etc. Will average down if you submit more coins and register as an elite member

I slab my coins mostly numismatic and proof coins to get rid of fancy boxes and to save storage space. I slabbed my proof and good coins to at least protect them, not a full proof that they will not tarnish, tone or milk spot but you have still more better protection compared to let it on your storage space.
    After slabbing them, i do extra protection like vacuum pack or thick ziplock specifically for slabbed coins.
    It is more easy to organize the collection in slab.

Sometimes it is more cheaper to buy coin that is already slab rather than sending your proof/good coin for slabbing.
    Sell your proof coin then buy the slab which ever the better and more economical.

3. Yankee101

Yankee101 Member

Years ago I needed to get a coin graded and slabbed - it happened to be a Chinese 1979 Year of the Child silver proof coin. The whole process of joining, sending the coin to get graded, and then having it sent back was time consuming and costly. The only reason I did it was to be alble to sell the coin.

Yeah, it was only one coin, but at that time there was no GST on 'imported' items with a value of less than A$1000. Now, I'm wondering about the mess you'd have to go through with sending the coin/coins overseas and having a problem with customs once they came back to Australia.

You would also need to have them send the coins back to Australia INSURED as REGISTERED or otherwise tracked without insurance gets treated as regular mail once it gets to Australia. You'd have to do the same from Australia to the USA as again overseas REGISTERED gets treated as regular mail once it arrives in the USA. That REGISTERED label just says to people: "STEAL ME - I"M VALUABLE'.

And IIRC they only insured it for an amount of around $100 or something like that which was only a fraction of the market value of the coin......

(I just had a tracked letter from the USA take 41 days to get to Australia and up until it hit Australia there was tracking. The tracking showed it arrived in Oz and after that the tracking disappeared. The USPS tracking also showed that it arrived in Sydney on a certain day, but according to Australia Post that date was a 'hypothetical' date and not an actual physical scan. According to Australia Post it actually 'arrived' six days later. It then took 9 days to be delivered to me in Melbourne from the Australia Post physical scan. It showed up in the mail box and not one entry was recorded on the tracking site other than the date it arrived in Oz.)

If you look around I think that some coin dealers here in Australia will submit coins on your behalf to get graded, but I have no idea how much they charge.

4. tater

tater Active Member

It really depends on the coins, the series and your plans. I like NGC. I send my gold pandas that are better dates that I get from time to time to them to grade and conserve. It takes awhile. They have an office in Singapore it might be cheaper to send them there than Florida.

5. mongrelmaple

mongrelmaple Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im almost certain that Imperial Bullion in Brisbane allow you to submit coins for grading by PCGS and they handle the sending and receiving part for you. I wouldn’t know the fees involved, since graded coins are not part of my stacking strategy. Good luck!

6. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Send in HK, less risk journey of coins than Florida, After the package already in HK, you can arrange safe courier back to Australia, There are also NGC submission center in Europe, since you're in Spain???