An amateur metal detector found 14 coins pot on first try

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by jultorsk, Jun 30, 2020.

1. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

An amateur metal detector on a family holiday in Victoria's famous goldfields has found 14 coins potentially worth thousands of dollars.

Bev Martin, 60, was searching for gold nuggets last week in Victoria's 'Golden Triangle', two hours north-west of Melbourne, when her metal detector blared out to let her know she had found something special.

She started digging with her shovel before unearthing the rare coins thought to be over 150 years old.

30202360-8472753-image-m-13_1593477538745.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...RTEEN-extremely-valuable-sovereign-coins.html

GoldenEye and heartastack like this.
  2. tongkat

tongkat Active Member Silver Stacker

Good for her!

3. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

wow, i would be doing some research if i as her, the coins age and way they look tobe buried looks very much like Martin wibergs treasure. After his robery he buried soveriegns all over gipslands and a few other areas around vic in small holes and in logs and so on. 5000 wreath sovereigns were beleived tobe buried, aparently put them in smaller lots.
    There have been a few discoveries over the last 100 or so years of soveigns buried that are beleived tobe from his stash.
    People have been hunting for his hoard for almost 150 years now.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  4. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow that's cool!

5. Slimey

Slimey Well-Known Member

I am surprised, the Golden Triangle has been gone over countless times using the best detectors in the world. As you can tell by the ground she is detecting, it is easy access, open ground, easy walking with little undergrowth.
    I hope it is true. Sometimes I wonder if these good luck stories are really advertising in disguise?

6. President Trump

President Trump Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Clearly they just dug a hole anywhere for the pic opportunity. There is no way those coins were sitting that close to the surface, in the open, detected with that entry level detector and in one of the "anyone permitted" detecting areas.
    Lol the coins are thought to be over 150 years old. One day they will start putting dates on the coins so you can tell for sure.

Gresham's Law likes this.
  7. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Thise detectors are good enough to find coins, especially ones in a group. I personally think its legit, it was posted on the detectors facebook page