Help, purchased silver coins overseas gst

Discussion in 'Silver' started by syke123, Jun 25, 2020.

1. syke123

syke123 Member

Hi guys,

Pretty new into this and bought some coins from LPM.HK

Bought the double pixius and wasn't aware of the $1000 rule.
    Fedex have advised me that i have to pay the $88 customs fees and also 10% GST, as my order was $1500.

I bought the double pixius and did some research and i think they are considered numismatic?
    Is there any way of getting out of paying the GST?

Thanks

2. tongkat

tongkat Active Member Silver Stacker

I believe there is a pinned thread in the general precious metals discussion category.

3. tongkat

4. syke123

syke123 Member

thanks for that, doesn't look like i will have any luck contesting it as its considered a 'numismatic'

5. lunar

lunar Member

Might be worth arguing the point. Perth Mint Bullion were selling these w/o GST. Ainslie Bullion were selling these w/o GST.

6. syke123

syke123 Member

Thanks for that, i'll definitely follow up and see if i can get a refund on the GST

7. tongkat

I've been dinged a time or two (not for metals). At least they didn't hit you for duty as well.
    Problem I've experienced arguing the point is if it's in the "too hard" basket the freight carrier can kick it back to Customs for a determination. Customs can then decide to inspect it. And they can be brutal with inspections.

8. President Trump

President Trump Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I’m not a billion expert. So I do not know if you can argue that these are bullion, but my company imports all the time so we deal with freight carriers quite a bit. They want to take the path of least resistance and they are given a lot of latitude by customs. I would say that if you can get someone credible to say in writing that these are bullion they will just let it through. In another life I was a lawyer and continually fighting, I bet neither customs or the freight company will want to argue the point. They just want to see an expert say its bullion and only its bullion price has been paid ... if you can credibly argue that is true you probably have a chance.

9. tongkat

^^^
    A freight forwarder could clear it easily. But their fee for a “one-off” and the GST in question could be a toss up. Call Dave at EvoWorld Cargo in Brisbane.

10. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lots of people are still not aware of the Harvey Norman GST tax.

11. PhilDePunter

PhilDePunter New Member

Wow! That is a very similar situation to my own. I bought 20 pixiu through LPM Hong Kong with a pair of 2oz Lunar but the total fell just under $1000 so it was delivered to my door without a problem. The following few weeks I missed out once again getting the Brumby from both Perth Mint and Ainslie Bullion so I foolishly hit the panic button and went through LPM, this time putting in an order for 25 Brumbies for close to AU$1100. Never was aware of the $1000 rule either, first had to go through the GST exemption mess thinking all would be fine after that, a day later they hit me for $88 duty instead! All up with the horror price I paid through LPM and delivery cost I ended up paying to within a cent $53 per coin! Never ever again!!!

12. syke123

syke123 Member

wow, yeah its a real learning experience
    so did you pay the 10% GST plus the $88?
    did you try and argue the point?

i went back and forth with matthew, the fedex broker guy, he did not want to even explain why the gst was being charged despite my best efforts to explain the ABF legislation.
    He ended up saying pretty much i have to get a private ruling and then he will give me a refund, if not then its not his business to not charge GST

13. PhilDePunter

PhilDePunter New Member

Somehow I avoided the 10% GST after filling out some form that I can't even remember what it entailed. I want very much to forget the whole experience! The first priority delivery was at my front door from Hong Kong in two days, the Brumby one was 13 days! No, I never tried arguing the point, it's a complete waste of time as far as any government bureaucracy like Customs is concerned. Just put it down as a learning experience and avoid such an issue from that in future.

edit: One thing I think is certain is that you never had to pay GST. I had to declare it as Aussie bullion on that form which gave the exemption. You got involved with the wrong guy at Fedex. I'll hunt through my old emails and see if I can find this exchange between us.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020