Maximising value from Scrap Copper

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by miniroo, May 4, 2018.

1. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi guy's,

I've been maximising my scrap copper by making copper bullion bars to sell on eBay etc.
    There's lot's of industrial type copper on the market which is mainly copper bus bars that come in giant lengths which they simply cut to size, stamp and sell as copper bullion.

A more interesting collectable is hand pour bars, each bar is totally unique with it's own characteristics, swirls, ripples & flaws and have a real artisan look to them.

I price my bars using a basic formula, I take scrap metal price, which currently is around AU$6.50 kg.
    That's the price you get if you take your copper to a scrap yard.
    The actual copper spot price is around AU$9.00 kg but you an't get that price for scrap copper unless your dealing in tonnes of ready to go copper for industrial use.

So my formula to price my hand poured bars is to simply 6x the scrap price, when selling on eBay I need to factor in fees so I add 10% to make it 6.6x scrap value.

So for example, a 1kg bar, scrap value $6.50 x 6.6 = $42.90

Sometime the bar may have a few too many flaws so I might drop a couple dollars to the otal, or a stand out bar I might add a couple dollars but generally I use the standard formula and it seems to be good.

As many would know, melting copper and pouring bars is a bit of work and your dealing with extreme temperatures so time if a factor, unlike melting gold or silver, copper needs to stay at around 1200c to pour it and will cool down within seconds so there's many hit & misses which you need to factor in when pricing the final product.

Anyway, just thought i'd put it out there for people wanting to maximise their scrap copper value and look to converting it into cash to buy gold & silver.

Here's my latest video on the current pour and long explanation along with ebay sales, I put up 14 bars a couple days ago, 3 have sold quickly but they all sell in the end..

2. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I remember them well, they were actually the inspiration for stacking copper back in the day, then your videos inspired me to do youtube, just don't start robbing banks :)

I guess I could machine mine but ripples stiffen my nipples

[​IMG]

3. Steven Little

Steven Little New Member

Miniroo, do you still sell these? I am looking for some nice hand poured copper bars.
    There is a guy selling them on eBay. Is that you?