Perth Mint Brumby 2020

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by MattyJoe, Jun 22, 2020.

1. MattyJoe

MattyJoe Active Member

Karoi and Holdfast like this.
  2. Karoi

Karoi Well-Known Member

I just rang them to place an order for a roll but there's a limit of 10 per person when ordered through the shop, so had to settle for that :(
    At least I'll be collecting them in person to avoid shipping, but still would have preferred to get 20.....

stick29 and Holdfast like this.
  3. MattyJoe

MattyJoe Active Member

Damn thats a shame, I picked up a roll online and it said the limit was 50. I should have grabbed the full amount.

4. KangaBanga

KangaBanga Active Member

The design is pretty similar to the 2020 swan with the horse running through the water. Sold out on PM now. Pity its not available in 1kg or I'd have grabbed a couple. LPM commissioning a non asian themed coin, who woulda thought...

5. Karoi

Karoi Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's certainly some pros and cons to their online store vs the bullion store. Good to hear you picked up a roll!

This design on in a 1kg size would be very nice indeed!

KangaBanga likes this.
  6. 316ag

316ag Active Member

I got an email promoting the Brumby at 2.02pm. When I clicked online at 3pm they were already ‘sold out’ .

Holdfast likes this.
  7. KangaBanga

KangaBanga Active Member

yeah its made for LPM.hk so i dont think PM has much stock to start with. But should there be a spike in covid cases in hongkong causing shipping delays, i am sure there will be more for us again sometime in the future.

8. KangaBanga

KangaBanga Active Member

looks like lpm is cancelling orders, a bunch of pixius poped up this morning, sold out now. yeah i like the 2014 stock horse one better. I dont think PM will manage to make 25000 of these though, seems like their current production is pretty backlogged. and they have to start producing the 2021 coins for sept/oct release?

9. SilverJJ

SilverJJ Member

Why do you think LPM would cancel orders?

10. KangaBanga

KangaBanga Active Member

Well theres random protests in hongkong plus the virus. Means less foot traffic and also less overseas visitors from China who cross the border to do their bullion shopping. Which means LPM sales will be down. many hongkongers are also moving funds out of hongkong and probably selling bullion to convert to cash to move it out. Also means importing stuff from overseas will be harder and more expensive.

I am pretty sure their local hongkong sales will not be enough to cover the shortfall of the lack of chinese shoppers. There online orders will also be limited as overseas buyers will be wary of buying from them for fear of shipping delays etc...

so if LPM has excess stock they will just ask PM to cancel some shipments. Also PM is flat out making just kangaroos. they keep running out of stock of simple cast bars !! so perth mint might tell LPM about the delays and when you have delays, you will get cancellations.

11. MattyJoe

MattyJoe Active Member

Do you think PM has already produced the 50000 mintage for the Pixiu and waiting to distribute to LPM?

12. KangaBanga

KangaBanga Active Member

dont think they will be able to do 50k in the near term. It seems WA has very strict lockdown for COVID still in place. Even the perth mint shopfront is only for pickup only for next coupe weeks, no walk in and browse allowed.

LPM now launched the coin and its listed as Preorder. So depending on preorders they may order more. they will probably take shipment like 10k first or something. dunno i am not a bullion dealer.

Brumby is up for sale from LPM now, not preorder, actual stock. So can conclude there was delay in pixiu coins since pixiu was announced first if i am not mistaken

MattyJoe likes this.
  13. SilverJJ

SilverJJ Member

Interesting insights. I wonder what the impact on secondary market pricing would be if the actual mintage of either the Pixiu or Brumby falls below the 50k figure e.g. if it's 25k.

On a facebook post 2 weeks ago, the PM responded to someone's comment about the Pixiu being sold out with:

Hi Grant, due to a heavy production schedule and peak silver demand, we have only produced half of the 50,000 mintage. More will be produced soon and become available to the Australian market. This coin was designed for our Asian export market and we keep 10% of the mintage here for our Australian market. As a limited number of these coins have recently become available, to assist you in securing an order please provide contact details for one of our customer service representatives to contact you directly. Kind regards, The Perth Mint.

316ag and Silverling like this.
  14. KangaBanga

KangaBanga Active Member

yeah and before they have a chance to contact you its sold out in a few hours lol...

on LPM website shishis/pixiu are still only for preorder. I think one of them also sold at ainslie under ainslie exclusive as well.

So long as the dealers are struggling to get stock of 1oz kangaroos gold or silver and cast bars, u can be sure perth mint is runnning way behind schedule.

Silverling likes this.
  15. Karoi

Karoi Well-Known Member

Yep. I rang up ABC Bullion (in Perth) yesterday and they couldn’t even give me a guesstimate of when they’d have 1oz gold roos back in stock, so I ended up ordering from Perth mint.....again :rolleyes:

KangaBanga and Holdfast like this.
  16. Millennial Engineer

Millennial Engineer Well-Known Member

I bought some of these in Perth, Paid 25 dollars over spot

Wasn't able to get them at the mint. Going to use one as a birthday present for someone who is Chinese Year of the Horse.

The huy I bought them said that the Perth Mint now allows you to walk in and purchase with Cash I heard.

Holdfast likes this.