1oz silver s2 lunars in tubes - $800-850

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by hazy, Apr 27, 2020.

1. hazy

hazy Active Member

price check on sealed rolls (20 coins per roll) of 1oz silver s2 lunars?

I have a bunch of them in my SMSF and I'm not happy with my asset allocation so I am thinking of selling some. Back in the day I was getting some each year and trying to get a tube of each s2 year but I just don't care about lunars anymore.

The theory at the time was, if I paid around $40/oz for a lunar then MAYBE I would be able to get that back or even make money in a few years even if silver crashed, which it did. SO I'd like to test that idea.

Should I just wait for spot price to go back up (that's been plan A for awhile now), or is there enough rarity and demand/supply dynamic for this to be reasonable? I legitimately don't know.

2008 mouse - $850
    2011 rabbit - $800
    2012 dragon - $850
    2013 snake - $850
    2014 horse - $800
    2015 goat - $800

also have tubes of 2012 Kooks - $800

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  2. hazy

hazy Active Member

I think $41 per coin was the most my fund ever paid for lunars, that was the snakes. Some of these cost us less than that. But our largest lunar stacks were around that high price which is bad for our average price-per-ounce. This is why I hate lunars haha

To be really clear if I was someone who isn't me wanting to stack silver I would NOT buy these, instead I would buy a combination of large generic bars, medium size (eg 10oz bars) and also some low-prem coins too, like 2020 kooks or whatever is cheaper, I think you can get these for around $33 each right now and that seems more reasonable.

Midastouchofgold likes this.
  3. Tigerland

Tigerland Active Member

OMG you are starting to cause doubt in my mind too about my lunars. Atm I would be happy to buy the horses and rabbits.

hazy likes this.
  4. hazy

hazy Active Member

lol I am sorry about that omg
    look i think they are fine and nice to have in a way, I just think it's wise to diversify that's all. Buy some lunars if you like them and don't mind sinking some money into a kind of niche premium... If silver goes up and everyone's buying it like toilet rolls again then you'll have no problem cashing out. But also buy lots of cheap silver to bring your average price-per-oz down.